Oil Level Check - Right or Wrong?

Spike

Andy m

If that is an accurate reading, where you normally park, engine run from cold for 3 minutes, dipstick wiped and rested on the rim, I would get some out. A nice big syringe and some fish tank hose from the auction site works, the pump off the hand-wash bottle is a great idea. 

The other temptation is to kick off at the grease monkeys and make them do it, but given this is their work I'd be getting a two finger spanner on the drain plug now never mind giving them chance in round 2.

If you leave it alone, that amount will do no harm until a really warm day on the motorway, then it'll blow out of the breather. These days they blow into the airbox because getting out the RAC diesel truck, replacing a manufactured filter and filling a landfill bin with oiled up rags and paper is deemed better for the environment than dripping the oil onto the garage floor. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andy m

• larryblag

• Tex

• trisaki

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm horrified to see this. Really. Every bike those clowns service is going out a third of a litre short of oil.. Starts with 'W' and rhymes with 'anchors'..   Some Triumphs (and others) req

Get a new dealer  obviously  a real Dipstick  ! 

Misprint my asre!   Honda state clearly how to check it, no ambiguity. Do what the manual says not some spotty oik on work placement or his idiot suited charlatan boss. Just my opinion.

Posted Images