Jump to content
Flanker37

Cobbra Nemo 2

Recommended Posts

Flanker37

http://www.cobrra.co.uk/nemo-2/

 

Any thought on this guys

Share this post


Link to post
SteveThackery

Hmmm... the one big downside for me is that it isn't automatic - you have to wind down the lid a quarter of a turn.  That means it isn't continuous, either.  

 

I've got a Fairbanks Morse engine in my garage, made back in the 1920s.  That uses an almost identical system, except for grease instead of oil, and they are used to lubricate the mains and big end.

 

So this Nemo thing looks like 90-year-old technology in a new coat.  

 

Personally I prefer a system that doesn't require me to remember to operate it every 200 miles, and which provides lubricant continuously rather than in occasional dollops.  Tutoro works great for me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
gonzo

Yup fitted one a month ago , nicely engineered  s/steel brkt supplied , once 1/4 turned it drips for approx 3 mins, piece of piss to fit ,Think there made in the usa,you can use any viscosity oil even in the winter as it under pressure and is forced through !, you tube will show you, Jaws motorcycles up in manchester supplied mine about £100. !

Share this post


Link to post
Mister Paul

Mine is arriving in a couple of days. I'm happier having more control over the flow. I had a Tutoro on another bike and it wasn't as fit-and-forget as claimed. The nozzles would clog up, it would never drip evenly out of both sides of the double nozzle, and the flow rate depended on the weather. Sometimes it would hardly flow and other times would empty the reservoir on a long ride.

 

The Cobrra is a Slovakian product. I'll be interested to see whether I can mount it around the back of the bike somewhere. I can give it a twist before I pull off (missus) so I'm not fussed about it being on the handlebars. Oh, and there's an that auction site seller with a buy-it-now or make and offer option. Barter with him and you can get some money off.

Share this post


Link to post
embee

Just as an aside, and apologies for a tangent, but I've just topped up my PD Oiler after my hols. 

I had it set on a slightly generous feed rate for longer autoroute runs, and in about 2400mls it used 30gms (I weigh the little bottle I use to refill it) or about 40cc.

This just gives an idea of what sort of feed rate to expect to use, something like 15cc per 1000mls. If you expect an average speed of maybe 40mph overall, that's 15cc over 25hrs or around 0.6cc/hr. I measured 30 drops per cc of the oil I use, so around 20 drops/hr or one drop every 3mins.

 

Don't you just hate nerdy posts? :lol:

 

PS - the std PD Oiler refilling is absolutely utterly stupid, I changed the design of mine. The "mini" which uses a separate reservoir is sensible if you can find somewhere to fit it.

Edited by embee

Share this post


Link to post
Rev Ken

Reminds me of the necessity of pressing a small pedal in the foot well in my old Morgan +4 to lubricate the sliding pillar front suspension with hot engine oil. If I forgot and one slide decided to stop sliding, the handling became 'interesting'! Personally I'd forget, and as an aside as the oil viscosity varies with temperature I can't understand the statement that it won't affect the rate of supply. If it works on positive displacement with a simple restrictor then eventually it would dispense an equal amount, but the rate of dispensing will vary according to the viscosity.

Share this post


Link to post
Mister Paul
28 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

Reminds me of the necessity of pressing a small pedal in the foot well in my old Morgan +4 to lubricate the sliding pillar front suspension with hot engine oil. If I forgot and one slide decided to stop sliding, the handling became 'interesting'! Personally I'd forget, and as an aside as the oil viscosity varies with temperature I can't understand the statement that it won't affect the rate of supply. If it works on positive displacement with a simple restrictor then eventually it would dispense an equal amount, but the rate of dispensing will vary according to the viscosity.

I guess (but am open to correction) that the same amount of oil would be dispensed but over a different length of time. With auto-oilers if you get them wrong you can empty the reservoir on a trip to Sainsburys.

Share this post


Link to post
Rev Ken
2 hours ago, Mister Paul said:

I guess (but am open to correction) that the same amount of oil would be dispensed but over a different length of time. With auto-oilers if you get them wrong you can empty the reservoir on a trip to Sainsburys.

I agree, but the description suggests there might be a sort of timing device. Can somebody clarify?

Share this post


Link to post
Mister Paul
16 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

I agree, but the description suggests there might be a sort of timing device. Can somebody clarify?

No timing device. You give the lid a quarter turn which pressurises the container. The oil is pushed out until the pressure gets back to normal.

Share this post


Link to post
outrunner

I think I will just stick with the spray can of chain oil. :oldfart:

 

 

Andy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Rev Ken
14 hours ago, Mister Paul said:

No timing device. You give the lid a quarter turn which pressurises the container. The oil is pushed out until the pressure gets back to normal.

Thanks, but I'll stick with my belt drive.:D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
embee

Just for info, the PD Oiler uses a variable timer to drive a fixed displacement pump/plunger, so it is effectively the same delivery rate regardless of viscosity. Each pulse doesn't deliver one "drop", a few pulses add up over time and one drop will eventually come out of the tube I find. I currently use a 50/50 mix of blue Scottoil and some synthetic gear oil (Mobil 75W90 which doesn't have the horrid sickly sulphurous smell of typical EP oils) I happen to have spare on the shelf.

The e-scottoiler and some other systems are more sophisticated, if this is desired/necessary.

Apologies, I know this thread is about the Cobra Nemo, which I'm sure fits the bill for many.

Share this post


Link to post
Steel Horse UK

Looks like a great product, simple and effective. Be better if the lid locked somehow. Just a bit disconcerting that some scum could tamper with it while your bike is parked up.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×