All year biker prep

dannybegood

dannybegood

I'm going all year biker in November, I have ACF50 myself last year however.

I noticed yesterday rust coming up in places and wondered?

The swing arm at the rear where the 12/14 inch nut are are rusting at the edge, foot peg bolts as well. All silver. Plus it looks like shock has spots.

So any ideas on paint needed or is it not a Honda part as such just normal metal wear and what can I do to make good until November.

Also any ideas to make good the shock, Bear in mind I have little technical expertise as cannot see a good way to get at that shock!!

dannybegood

Anybody know if it's specific paint on the end of the swing arms? 

horobags

you can degrease the existing acf-50, and treat rusty areas with 'killrust ' or a similar rust killer, I would then touch up with hammerite smooth or similar. Then acf again if used in all weathers, its not just for winter. 

The shock should get the same treatment, acf-50 again and then fit a  R+G shocksock which will protect it from a 'shower of shit' every time you ride in the rain.

• Like 2
Guest Mac750

Yep the R&G shock sock works well, also if you look at the bottom of the plastic under tray you will see a small plastic lip pointing down, a number of forum members and I have made a thin rubber flap and then mounted it on the lip with two holes and a long pull tie. Or a couple of nuts and bolts, but the cable tie works well.  The flap shields the shock sock from getting wet. 

dannybegood

Any ideas how shock sock goes on as I'm mechanically inept?

Rocker66
1 minute ago, dannybegood said:

Any ideas how shock sock goes on as I'm mechanically inept?

It simply wraps round and Velcro seals it

Guest Mac750

Spray some ACF 50 on the spring and shock wrap the neoprene sleeve around it then press the velcro strip in place all the way down . Then put a pull tie in the eyelets around the top and pull and do the same around the bottom not too tight .After the wet winter months cut the pull ties remove the sleeve, clean the shock and spring re treat with ACF50 and repeat the above. It will protect the expensive shock . I sprayed ACF 50 on the swing arm gusseting top and bottom and on the suspension linkages. 

Edited by Mac750

Does the shock not suffer from just being soaked in water held in the sock?

Rocker66
30 minutes ago, roddy said:

Does the shock not suffer from just being soaked in water held in the sock?

No  as the sock is waterproof so providing you prepare the shock as described no problem. I used to drop the sock occasionally and retreat the shock then replacing the shock

• Like 1
Rocker66
6 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

No  as the sock is waterproof so providing you prepare the shock as described no problem. I used to drop the sock occasionally and retreat the shock then replacing the shock

That should of course read "and then replacing the sock".

Guest bonekicker

I have at last found a use for the full spray tin of ACF 50--and it's not for so called rust prevention on motorbikes---yes its for cleaning my boots--but needs doing regularly--bike owners that put this stuff on bike and expect it never to rust--are just kidding them selves-- I'm not saying what I use all the time--because you all know by now--and you would only think and say--why does he keep saying the same things??? so I wont---I wont say use WD40 regularly to avoid rusting --No I wont. :BangHead: 

Guest Mac750

Lather it in old engine oil in grease if tis good enough for Grand Pa tis some good enough fur me. 

What did gramps ride ? Dunno twas covered in grease and cowsh wunnus.

Did never rust mind .🤠

I think I will invest in one. Thanks

• Like 1