Recommend me a C&S kit

Mikdent

Mikdent

My C&S arrived on Friday but I had a new fibreglass roof installed on my extension on Thursday so me and my son had a load of old felt, clippings and moss to take to the tip yesterday, along with some pond and general garden maintenance, followed by a few relaxing cold ones in the garden, so that was Saturday over. 

Anyway, the new C&S is going on today. :niceone:

Black and gold DID VX2 chain and ZBK sprockets, the rear one being in black. B)

• Like 3
PoppetM

Enjoy your farkling, pics please. 

Bike needs a good wash, so there will be both of us scrubbing her down today, then the boot and fork protectors will be going on 😀

• Like 1
Mikdent

All done. :)

The only bit of grief was getting the spring link to go on and all the way home, apart from that it was a breeze.

All test ridden and given the Mikdent seal of approval. :niceone:

The last time I did a C&S change was on my Varadero that had been down the west coast of Africa, it took us four days to get the front sprocket off as it was caked in sand,crud and oil, in the end it took 4 feet of leverage via a scaffold tube.  :wacko:

The experience was a much pleasenter one on a 'new' bike with only 9000 (mostly dry) miles as opposed to an old shitter, which is what most of my bikes prior to the X were. 

Forgot to take any pics, suffice to say that the black rear sprocket looks the dogs danglies. :puppeh:

• Like 2
Defender
4 hours ago, Mikdent said:

All done. :)

The only bit of grief was getting the spring link to go on and all the way home, apart from that it was a breeze.

All test ridden and given the Mikdent seal of approval. :niceone:

The last time I did a C&S change was on my Varadero that had been down the west coast of Africa, it took us four days to get the front sprocket off as it was caked in sand,crud and oil, in the end it took 4 feet of leverage via a scaffold tube.  :wacko:

The experience was a much pleasenter one on a 'new' bike with only 9000 (mostly dry) miles as opposed to an old shitter, which is what most of my bikes prior to the X were. 

Forgot to take any pics, suffice to say that the black rear sprocket looks the dogs danglies. :puppeh:

Glad to hear it went well and was easy to do:-)

Defender

My attempt fell at the first hurdle, chain and sprocket kit arrived on Friday, but it was for a manual, not a DCT!

I had emailed them and even tried to call them, but got no response and the phone number given didn't work:blink:.

Anyway, I've been quite busy with my brother being here so getting it done might have been a bit of a push?

I've ordered a set from another supplier, should arrive on Tuesday:thumbsup:. The incorrect kit is going back for a refund.

Mikdent

Not a very good start then Defender.  :doh:

• Like 1
Defender
1 hour ago, Mikdent said:

Not a very good start then Defender.  :doh:

I should have double checked my order, so partly my fault, I did email them within half an hour of placing my order that evening and tried ringing the next morning.

Hopefully the next kit will arrive tomorrow and we'll take it from there😑.

• Like 1
Defender

Well blow me down, the second kit arrived today and guess what, that's wrong too!

16 and 43 tooth sprockets, 114 link chain😣

What do I have to do to get the right kit first time?

I have emailed the supplier and asked what happened as they listed this kit as specially for a 700 DCT 2012/2013.

Mikdent

You can't always trust suppliers to get it right Myles. I bet half of em don't even know what a DCT is. :ermm:

Thats why I asked on here first, luckily Trisaki posted the actual amount of teeth on each sprocket and the length of chain, I cross referenced that to my order before pulling the trigger.  :niceone:

Good luck on set number 3 mate. :) 

• Like 1
Dunnster
1 hour ago, Defender said:

Well blow me down, the second kit arrived today and guess what, that's wrong too!

16 and 43 tooth sprockets, 114 link chain😣

What do I have to do to get the right kit first time?

I have emailed the supplier and asked what happened as they listed this kit as specially for a 700 DCT 2012/2013.

Hey Miles, could I buy a c&s kit off you? I've been having trouble getting a manual set, everywhere I've tried has no stock. You must have all the stock :dielaugh:

• Like 2
Defender
19 hours ago, Dunnster said:

Hey Miles, could I buy a c&s kit off you? I've been having trouble getting a manual set, everywhere I've tried has no stock. You must have all the stock 

Thanks mate, just what I need! One kit has been returned for a refund.

I'm going to start wittling my own sprockets, got to be easier than this malarky?

Why does everyone think the DCT has the same chain and sprokets as the manual!

Mikdent
2 hours ago, Defender said:

Thanks mate, just what I need! One kit has been returned for a refund.

I'm going to start wittling my own sprockets, got to be easier than this malarky?

Why does everyone think the DCT has the same chain and sprokets as the manual!

Wittling your own sprockets. :lol: 

Isnt it obvious that the DCT would need a superior chain and sprockets, :ermm:

• Like 2
Defender

As my late father would have said, 'anything will do, nothing won't!'

• 2 weeks later...
Defender

Well, I finally got my 39 tooth (DCT) correct rear sprocket and so set about changing the set this afternoon, it didn't go quite a smoothly as it could have done, but that's life and motorcycles!

The old sprockets were still in quite good shape, no booking apparent, but the chain wasn't good at all, nearly at the end of the travel limit and with several stiff links, which knew about 

I did have a small moment when my chain tool got stuck in the side plate when pushing a roller pin out, but it came out with a bit of gentle persuasion!

I have to say the rear JT sprocket looks good in black and the chain really leaps out being gold!

Taken a short test ride and can notice the difference in the smoothness of the year change and less noise, it was quite noticeable when travelling slowly at low speed and revs.

Certainly worth doing and a sense of satisfaction of doing it yourself, even if that wasn't the original plan!

A word to the wise, many c&s kits listed for the NC700X DCT aren't correct as it seems that some transmission manufacturers lists either don't list it as a separate model or list it incorrectly, the same as the manual version. However it's the same as the NC700D Integra, that being, 16 tooth front sprocket, 39 tooth rear sprocket, 112 link chain, all 520 pitch.

• Like 2
Tex

Well done Myles. Good to overcome a couple of obstacles along the way - adds to the job satisfaction! :)

• Like 1
trisaki

With the dct set up the only difference  on the 750 version  is a 17 tooth  front sprocket   still with the 39 tooth rear 

• Like 1