Interesting !

gonzo

gonzo

Right , 17 plate euro 4 spec , just noticed in service book 600 mile service oil filter and oil change, . next service 8000 mile, which states oil only (no filter change) next service 16000 oil and filter change, ? Why are honda doing away with filter change on the 8000 mile service what do they know that we don't ? I still intend to change filter at 8000.,.do the euro 3 bikes 15 plate bikes have this in there service schedule.. Just asking ? 

• Like 1
Bigglesaircraft

Possibly because any crud in the engine is collected in the filter before the 600 service and they have found it is not a problem after that.

Guest bonekicker

Yes as David quite rightful suggests--all the loose bits--that are not needed are usual got rid of--at first service:thumbsup:

Trumpet

Remember, most servicing is due on a time and/or  mileage basis. Not veryone wil manage 8000 miles in 12 months. I won't, my commute is not that far. In fact, I have an engine killing short 4 mile commute, I'll probably change the oil every six months, filter every 12 months. Made worse I suppose because I have a 2nd Bike for longer trips.

Andy m

Service intervals are nothing to do with engine wear. They are set at a meeting between the dealer network managers (who want short intervals) and marketing (who want long to make new sales easier). The bike market has no fleets who challenge this, so those selling oil set the interval.

If you have your oil analysed it will tell you to service sooner in 1% of cases, as the manufacturer says in a few and longer in the vast majority. There is also the argument that very few users keep a bike for the the 100000 miles it will do. Why do you care what the fifth owner after you has to deal with, they'll do 50000 with basically no servicing what so ever. Finally, frequent oil changes involve opening drains with threads that have a limited life and running the engine dry for a few seconds. Service every 1000 miles as some owners who really should have bought lego will do and life will be shorter.

Save money and the planet, don't go mad.

Andy

• Like 4
Andy m

Of course if you enjoy the taste of Castrol R you can always get a Hurley-Pugh. I have to do this every 2500 miles:

34166327240_5cab030d1e.jpg

Full manual here https://sites.google.com/site/hrpvindaloomotorcycles/models/the-manual

And this doesn't even cover removing the charge from the safety seat!

Andy

Trumpet

Oil does degrade in modern Engines as its used in both the Engine and the transmission. The gears shear the oil, and it gradually loses it's multigrade rating and becomes a single viscosity. The owners manual indicates change as a guide. If you do high mileages every week on the motorway, you could safely extend changes over and above the recommended intervals. If you do sucessive short journies the oil never fully warms up and gets contaminated with combustion by products and moisture, as indicated by white sludge on the dipstick, its better to change more often.  For the vast majority the manufacturers recommendations are ok. They are trying to cater for all types of use.

• Like 1