Sign in to follow this  
Mac750

Old bikes itch.

Mac750

My rides will be on tree lined roads, accompanied by the Lark.

To ride through the leafy country lanes so dappled sunlight and dark.

I shall waft along in happy embrace of the open road. My motorcycle and I as one enjoying the wonders showed.

Maybe to stop by a river bank and watch clear water flow by.  Or lay a while by the river bank and wonder at the sky.

Happy in my solitude just the bike and me , before once more returning home just in time for tea. 😂

Keats. 

In other words no doubt it will break down in the middle of nowhere and I will have to wait for rescue by the RAC. 👍

• Like 6

Tex
1 hour ago, Mac750 said:

My rides will be on tree lined roads, accompanied by the Lark.

To ride through the leafy country lanes so dappled sunlight and dark.

I shall waft along in happy embrace of the open road. My motorcycle and I as one enjoying the wonders showed.

Maybe to stop by a river bank and watch clear water flow by.  Or lay a while by the river bank and wonder at the sky.

Happy in my solitude just the bike and me , before once more returning home just in time for tea. 😂

If that is the riding you crave (and haven't we all?) then there's absolutely no need to dip your toe in the 'Classic Brit' waters at all. I'm not saying they're 'shark infested' (particularly) but they certainly can be 'hazardous'.. 

A Vespa GTS would suit that task admirably. As would any number of modern machines that don't require two hours fettling for every half hours riding. A Royal Enfield would be an excellent choice, giving the Classic 'feel' without the oily fingernails.

• Like 3

Rocker66
19 minutes ago, Tex said:

If that is the riding you crave (and haven't we all?) then there's absolutely no need to dip your toe in the 'Classic Brit' waters at all. I'm not saying they're 'shark infested' (particularly) but they certainly can be 'hazardous'.. 

A Vespa GTS would suit that task admirably. As would any number of modern machines that don't require two hours fettling for every half hours riding. A Royal Enfield would be an excellent choice, giving the Classic 'feel' without the oily fingernails.

The RE I hired in Scotland certainly brought back the nice relaxed feeling of riding in the 60s and rekindled the better memories of it.

• Like 3

Tonyj

Saw a fella yesterday with the continental gt , looked alright . Seemed well enough put together?

• Like 1

Tex
1 hour ago, Rocker66 said:

The RE I hired in Scotland certainly brought back the nice relaxed feeling of riding in the 60s and rekindled the better memories of it.

That's exactly what I mean. And the exact same thing happens to me when I ride the T100. Who needs 'old clunkers'? Not me! :D

• Like 2

Rocker66
8 minutes ago, Tex said:

That's exactly what I mean. And the exact same thing happens to me when I ride the T100. Who needs 'old clunkers'? Not me! :D

But I would still Wish I had  a Goldie DBD34 Clubman a Brough Superior SS100 and a couple of Vincent's in my garage. My bank manager wishes that I did as well😂😂

• Like 2

Tex
48 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

But I would still Wish I had  a Goldie DBD34 Clubman a Brough Superior SS100 and a couple of Vincent's in my garage. My bank manager wishes that I did as well😂😂

That's all well and good, but if the object is simply to make money you're better off (and will get a better return) investing in property. I mean, I wish I had a garage full of priceless classic motorcycles too, but I also wish I owned a block of flats in London.. :ahappy:

• Like 2

Rocker66
26 minutes ago, Tex said:

That's all well and good, but if the object is simply to make money you're better off (and will get a better return) investing in property. I mean, I wish I had a garage full of priceless classic motorcycles too, but I also wish I owned a block of flats in London.. :ahappy:

Now that is just greedy and anyway as far as I know your not Russian😀😀😀

• Like 1

larryblag

I think I've said in these pages before how Kelly and I usually hire a scooter (125 will do) when we go abroad - and wear just the sort of clothing that we "Tut, tut" at in this country.

We are hypocrites on holiday... :rolleyes:

We usually get overtaken by cyclists though, in their zero abrasion resistant lycra

Edited by larryblag

Andy m

I can't fault the Enfield (except the *****y marketing that encourages mechano fiddlers and hipster "customisers"). It is so much better than the 2004 one I had and even better than some BMW's and a Yamaha of my aquaintance. As noted in a few other posts there are Japanese design based bikes from MASH, Herald etc. You can also find SR400's at under 5 years old or grey import. If you want a bit more go Hinkley Bonnevilles, W650 and 800's and Harley Sporsters are home servicable. I would love to do this to one http://thekneeslider.com/gb1200r-british-style-custom-sportster/

My spec was :

1. To feel challenged in using 101% of the available performance. 28HP means you have to navigate to avoid long bits of motorway, plan overtakes, think about needing oil changes mid trip etc.

2. Be totally self sufficient in servicing, changing tyres etc.

3. To be prevented from breaking speed limits by an unplanned flick of the wrist or find myself racing loonies with a death wish.

The difference (and as noted elsewhere this can annoy me) is that you have no firm links to heritage (yet people will assume you want to).  Parts can be easier to find. The technology may or may not suit better (oh how I detest carbs with the black magic parts swapping set up etc.).

I would equally be up for C90's etc. 

Andy

• Like 2

Rocker66
18 minutes ago, Roders said:

Here's one great old bike for those with loose change in their pocket... :D 

(no connection to the dealer etc - just seen it advertised!)

What does Simon think?

http://www.classicsuperbikes.co.uk/catalogue/Bikes-for-sale/Manx-Norton.html

Too old for my tastes

Tex

Simon thinks it's wonderful! What a history. What a delightful patina of use. I want it. I spent a whole day riding a 500 Inter many years ago and the memory still makes me smile. 

Roders
16 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

Too old for my tastes

Just on the cusp for me but i couldn't afford it anyway..

The Triumph Speed Triple for sale with the same dealer however does really appeal :D

20 minutes ago, Tex said:

Simon thinks it's wonderful! What a history. What a delightful patina of use. I want it. I spent a whole day riding a 500 Inter many years ago and the memory still makes me smile. 

Ken Bills (who apparently rode it at the IoM) came from Kent (Medway i think).

I remember as young fella going to his bike museum. It was in Rochester high st or may have been Chatham.. not sure?