phantom309

shock protector.

phantom309

found this while bored scanning the web .with all the ideas thought this was probly one of the better simpler .£9,95

https://youtu.be/qFrD1mnKtYg

Edited by phantom309

technophebe

Just ordered one of these, for £10 it's worth a shot!

I'll update with some feedback when I have it received and fitted!

Mac750

Made one from a A3 cut in half and shaped to clear the chain thin black rubber sheet ribbed on one side smooth on the other, bought from a boat chandler's as used on decking and so forth 1000s of uses . As it's black you cannot see it unless you look hard. Also lined the not the tank (frunk) and inside the panniers with it.  The flap works well to protect the shock sock, overkill I know , but I got bored nothing to fix it's a Honda. 🐸

• Like 1

iaink

I made something similar from a roll of black plastic damp course that a brickie would use.

Fitted it using spare double sided sticky pads used to hold a number plate.

Mikdent
7 hours ago, iaink said:

I made something similar from a roll of black plastic damp course that a brickie would use.

Fitted it using spare double sided sticky pads used to hold a number plate.

Isnt that a bit flappy?

iaink
11 hours ago, Mikdent said:

Isnt that a bit flappy?

Not that I'm aware of.

Bigglesaircraft

There is another YouTube video which uses an old large black plastic flower pot and it does the same job, also as it is was a flower pot it is curved so becomes a perfect fit.

technophebe

So I've had one of these attached to my bike for the last month or so, gets a 10/10 from me. Installation took 2 mins, it does the job perfectly and it's good and secure on there, sometimes the simplest solution is best!

alhendo1
4 hours ago, technophebe said:

So I've had one of these attached to my bike for the last month or so, gets a 10/10 from me. Installation took 2 mins, it does the job perfectly and it's good and secure on there, sometimes the simplest solution is best!

Is there any sign of it rubbing on the swingarm at all?...It seems like an effective solution but I was wondering if maybe the edges would rub on the sides...if you don't mind posting back that would be great.

Edited by alhendo1
  • Like 1

Bigglesaircraft

When I trimmed the flower pot to size I cut the width to fit inside the swinging arm so the only points of contact is where it is fixed at the top with zip ties with no movement and at the front/rear edge of the swinging arm. At this point the movement of the arm is very small and it is in contact with the radiused part of the flower pot any rubbing or wear at this point should be minimal.

• Like 1

Mac750
4 hours ago, Bigglesaircraft said:

When I trimmed the flower pot to size I cut the width to fit inside the swinging arm so the only points of contact is where it is fixed at the top with zip ties with no movement and at the front/rear edge of the swinging arm. At this point the movement of the arm is very small and it is in contact with the radiused part of the flower pot any rubbing or wear at this point should be minimal.

As above but used a ribbed rubber sheet cut down so no swing arm damage. 

Plus I made a rubber mat for a battery tray on another bike and also made a battery strap using two small belt buckles.  The rubber sheet was cut along one edge into a strip then looped through the buckles at each end and used a hot glue gun to join the ends of the rubber strip. Battery is now secure as per original method of holding it in and the battery now sits on a shock absorbing rubber mat. Cost of sheet was £10 now used of four small jobs. 

• Like 1

Mike5100

Honda must have been reading this forum as they have incorporated a flower pot into the Africa Twin back end design.  It works exceptionally well by the way at keeping the shock clean (and cool).  Just makes you wonder how the NC deisgn team missed including this.

Mike

By the way - the pic makes it look like its part of the chain guard but it's not

oehlins-upgrade-for-new-honda--1380.jpg

• Like 2

Matatpub

i have fitted on to the nc today

rsz_dsc_0179.jpg

alhendo1

Fitted mine tonight. Looks as if it should be pretty effective. The only point of contact with the swingarm is the two plastic cover bits (best way I can describe them) so shouldn't rub on any paint....once it's been run in the wet I'll report back.

makman

I have the above fitted to mine as well. Keeps a lot of the road crap off the rear shock and does make a difference. So much so that I'm not bothering with a rear hugger which has been my default accessory on all other bikes.

alhendo1

As per makmans update....keeps everything clean....only in seriously heavy rain did the shock look at all grubby(and then not that bad really)....I'll not be bothering with anything else to protect the shock.

Edited by alhendo1

roddy

Looks good, where c an you buy it from?

roddy

Would anyone know the size so I can have a go at making one myself, thanks

alhendo1
31 minutes ago, roddy said:

Looks good, where c an you buy it from?

You can access it through this youtube link..

https://youtu.be/qFrD1mnKtYg

Edited by alhendo1

gonzo

made one out of two black vinyl floor tiles , cut to shape, works a treat..!