Andrew

Waterproof Boots

30 posts in this topic

Hi All

I'm in need for some new boots and would like some good waterproof ones, 

Cheers

i have TCX S-Speed GoreTex - used all year around, done about 40k miles on them now and still fully waterproof. If you want waterproof go goreTex from my experience.

3 people like this

22 minutes ago, rjp996 said:

i have TCX S-Speed GoreTex - used all year around, done about 40k miles on them now and still fully waterproof. If you want waterproof go goreTex from my experience.

Thanks Richard

Daytona boots are highly regarded for longevity and comfort, I am on a second pair and will keep buying them as long as I can afford them.

Alpinestars Web Gore-tex are also pretty good and easier on a pocket but the soles don't last as long as the gerrman "panzer" boots.:niceone:

1 person likes this

+1 for Daytonas, I've been wearing them for over 25 years with no complaints.

1 person likes this

I got a pair of BMW leather goretex touring boots last week for £127 from Cooper Motorrad in Sunderland.  They said they would do that price to others who asked.  It's 25% off.  Don't know how good they are yet but I am very impressed with all the BMW clothing and helmets that I have bought.

Mike

1 person likes this

I absolutely agree that only 'Gore-Tex' works for boots. 'Own brand' variants like 'dry tex' 'sly tex' and 'my tex' never work for long. :(

I have a pair of Sidi G/TX boots that are just brilliant. But, like Mike says, I've found the BMW stuff excellent in the past.

This trip has shown me I need to shell out on some, truly waterproof, gloves. I hate thick 'winter' gloves. Any ideas, boys?

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Tex said:

I absolutely agree that only 'Gore-Tex' works for boots. 'Own brand' variants like 'dry tex' 'sly tex' and 'my tex' never work for long. :(

I have a pair of Sidi G/TX boots that are just brilliant. But, like Mike says, I've found the BMW stuff excellent in the past.

This trip has shown me I need to shell out on some, truly waterproof, gloves. I hate thick 'winter' gloves. Any ideas, boys?

When caught out in heavy rain whilst wearing light summer gloves I have used a pair of the gloves that are free at filling stations for use when filling with diesel. They make good overgloves and can be discarded at the end of the ride.

4 people like this

Hi Andrew best boots ever are altberg had them for about 15 year never ever leaked and still as good as new.:brr:and there warm as toast .

2 people like this

I brought some Daytona Road Star boots last year, really comfortable and gore-tex. Haven't had any problems with water getting in.

2 people like this

26 minutes ago, Tex said:

At the risk of taking this thread off topic Simon I can recommend the Held goretex summer glove which I have been using now for 4 or 5 years and it's still intact and is waterproof.  I have just fetched them and input the code 2141 and blow me down Louis.de are selling them for about £60.  Normal price about £140. https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artikel/held-rain-star-2141-gloves/201383

To compensate for the deviation here's a link to the spec of the BMW boots https://www.bahnstormer.co.uk/product/allround-boots/ but remember the guy at the Sunderland dealership - James - said he'd do them for £127 not the £170 which is the normal price.  Their tel number is 0191 519 4455 

Mike

2 people like this

19 minutes ago, Broon Dog said:

Hi Andrew best boots ever are altberg had them for about 15 year never ever leaked and still as good as new.:brr:and there warm as toast .

I've been tempted by the Altbergs a couple of times - and they are just down the road from me so easy to go for fittings.  But the BMW boots (and both pairs of  TCX goretex boots I have previously bought) have airtex type panels - presumably with goretex behind, and this does help to keep the feet coolish in summer.  In winter I wear my heated socks so my feet don;t get cold but I will concede that without the heated socks I may have been seriously looking at the Altbergs.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Alas that's a clearance offer on women's size 06 only. But I really appreciate the thought!! :)

1 minute ago, Tex said:

Thanks Mike. Alas that's a clearance offer on women's size 06 only. But I really appreciate the thought!! :)

well at least it's identified the glove model - and mine have been brilliant - think I paid about 90 odd quid for them.  They are much lighter weight than they look in the picture.  Oddly they are called Quattrotempi but I don't know what kind of winter Held have in mind but it obviously isn't a north east UK one.

Mike

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Mike5100 said:

Oddly they are called Quattrotempi but I don't know what kind of winter Held have in mind but it obviously isn't a north east UK one.

Mike

:D On Wednesday I would have settled for something that worked in a Spanish 'summer'..  

1 hour ago, Broon Dog said:

Me too! Visit their workshop, Richmond Yorkshire, and get them to fir you out with Clubman boots or whatever you fancy. Not cheap but are extremely comfortable, and so long as you treat them with the stuff they give you with them they'll last you for many years and are comfortable when walking. Many police forces use them.

Good luck with contacting them. I sent two emails regarding getting boots made  3 years ago and I'm still awaiting a reply.

3 hours ago, Dave H said:

+1 for Daytonas, I've been wearing them for over 25 years with no complaints.

Bet their a bit whiffy now , someone must have said something :0)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Broon Dog said:

Aye, Not really expensive either, but mine took six months to break in, as you say, they seem to last forever and are constructed like a Yorkshire brick outhouse :drool: Still got them now, and I got insulted by the fitter at Altberg, he said I had girls feet. (in a blunt Yorkshire humour way) I loved Sidi's but the sole wore away completely in a year's all round use. Very soft Got through two pairs before the Altbergs.

Edited by Trumpet
1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Tonyj said:

Bet their a bit whiffy now , someone must have said something :0)

I got issued with a pair and after 18 months they went back to Germany for refurbishment (bear in mind they were worn everyday, all day) so they issued me another pair until the first came back.  This went on for several years and by the time I retired I had 4 pairs of refurbed and 2 pairs brand new.

I now do about 2K miles p.a. so my Daytonas will see me out I think.  I have tried other brands but nothing seems to come close for comfort and waterproofing.

So my feet don't smell,  my armpits, well thats another tale.

2 people like this

It was the thought of you not taking your boots of like a cowboy that made me smile . I'm a Daytona convert. My mates take the piss a bit saying that they look like wellies . I don't mind like you say all day comfy , I also wear 6days most weeks and they don't leak and don't hurt my feet 

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

Good luck with contacting them. I sent two emails regarding getting boots made  3 years ago and I'm still awaiting a reply.

Rocker, e-mails are not recognised in Yorkshire, even letters are looked at with suspicion.... ducks and hurries away.....:fear:

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

Rocker, e-mails are not recognised in Yorkshire, even letters are looked at with suspicion.... ducks and hurries away.....:fear:

Probably my fault for writing it in English

SIDI Adventure 2 Goretex. Superb boot. Extremely comfortable, waterproof and great protection. They have the added trick of a thick sole that gives that extra bit of height allowing you to flat foot more easily. The latest '2' has a much greater flex in the ankle. They are great for slow speed control as allow a great feel on the rear brake pedal.

alterberg all weather are great