automatic chain oiler

commuter

commuter

I have used automatic chain oilers on various bikes in the past and have found that my back wheel gets really dirty but my fuel consumption improves and the drive chain and sprockets last much longer. I suspect that the same would happen with an NC. does anyone have any experience of an automatic chain oiler on an NC? Oh the other advantage I found was that anything near the chain gets waterproofed and you don't get those huge globs of sticky grease collecting in the nooks and crannies around the final drive sprocket (maybe because i am a cheapscape and used old engine oil in the chain oiler.)

horobags

look up 'loobman' in the  search button.

Spindizzy
15 minutes ago, horobags said:

+1 Loobman.Had mine on the NC since new. Cheap and works a treat.

commuter
19 minutes ago, horobags said:

tried that, showed me nowt. I dont think it works properly, tried chain lubrication too but that showed nothing at all.

commuter

found it

15 minutes ago, shiggsy said:

PDOiler is my choice.

Me too. Just fitted one on my X.

I rode the best part of 250 miles today and it's working well.

A light coating of oil on the chain and no fling at all.

Very happy. It should keep the new chain and sprockets in good order.

• Like 1
Guest GeoffThai

Tried a simple one but oiled the back wheel more than the chain. Then I fitted a Tutoro, well made and clever design, recommend it.

SteveThackery
2 hours ago, GeoffThai said:

Tried a simple one but oiled the back wheel more than the chain. Then I fitted a Tutoro, well made and clever design, recommend it.

Me too.

Had scottoiler v system on Transalp and it worked so great. Always used engine oil and the chain looked and was as it had just been taken out of its packaging after 30,000 miles!

Before that bought  the basic kit from Tutoro and took it off after 2 days. Imo it was flimsy and not well constructed. I know others here reported good feedback.

Yesterday spent morning fitting scottoiler e system on ncx 2016. Will report back with feedback after doing some miles.

Does the vacuum system not work on our bikes?

3 minutes ago, roddy said:

Sorry, no, not on the 700's as there is no vacuum take off point.

Unless you fancy drilling and tapping a hole in the engine!

From 2016 there is a vacuum take off point though.

The Scottoiler E system, is electronic but IMHO over complicated and expensive. £200 !!

I might be slightly biased but the PD mini does exactly the same job at half the price.

embee

+1 for the PD Oilers, with one condition. the system seems to work very well and mine has been reliable and convenient ........ but the integrated ones (i.e. not the mini with a separate reservoir) are a total PITA to refill, what a stupid pea brained idea that was. I see they now do a clear version so at least you can see what's in there (if you don't have it tucked away out of sight), but having to use a syringe and dip-tube gubbins to fill and check the level is not user friendly. Otherwise yes I'd recommend them. The mini with separate bottle is the way to go if you can fit it somewhere.

Edited by embee
  • Like 1
SteveThackery
5 hours ago, aldmannie said:

I like the simplicity of the Tutoro Auto, no electrics, no vacuum, set and forget, just magic.

Totally agree.  It's an ingenious design and requires nothing other than that the bike is moving.

One theoretical downside is that the oil is gravity fed so the feed rate depends on the oil viscosity*.  Obviously warmer weather increases the flow rate, and the reverse in winter.  However, in practice it's a non-issue.  There is a flow rate adjuster, and I just give it another half turn for the winter.

*This criticism applies to most other chain oilers.  Only a few have a positive displacement pump.

Edited by SteveThackery
10 hours ago, roddy said:

Sorry, no, not on the 700's as there is no vacuum take off point.

Unless you fancy drilling and tapping a hole in the engine!

From 2016 there is a vacuum take off point though.

The Scottoiler E system, is electronic but IMHO over complicated and expensive. £200 !!

I might be slightly biased but the PD mini does exactly the same job at half the price.

Slowboy
On 21/05/2017 at 21:41, GeoffThai said:

Yup, had a tutorro automatic on mine for 28,000 mikes, good, reliable and simple 

piece of kit.

I had the tuturo on the Integra and found it quite tricky to get it right. It was very temperature dependent to get the viscosity/flow rate just right. I am going to give the Loobman a go on the AT and will let you know how I get on.

• Like 1
shiggsy
On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 13:24, embee said:

I see they now do a clear version

Cool, I'd definitely prefer that. Wonder how long until my metal one wears out ? :(

Edited by shiggsy

Both the PD oilers are not gravity fed, they work by pumping a specific amount of oil at a selected time interval.

They are not affected by temperature or viscosity of the oil, as they always pump exactly the same quantity.

The reservoir on the mini is also clear and has a long filling tube. 

I have mine fitted inside the top fairing cover, strapped to the ignition coils bracket.

• Like 1
SteveThackery
5 hours ago, CFB said:

Both the PD oilers are not gravity fed, they work by pumping a specific amount of oil at a selected time interval.

They are not affected by temperature or viscosity of the oil, as they always pump exactly the same quantity.

I think that is the best solution from an "engineering elegance" point of view.  However, it does require more complexity.  The best thing about the Tutoro is that it genuinely is totally autonomous, requiring no electrical or vacuum connection at all, nor any input from the rider.

8 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

I think that is the best solution from an "engineering elegance" point of view.  However, it does require more complexity.  The best thing about the Tutoro is that it genuinely is totally autonomous, requiring no electrical or vacuum connection at all, nor any input from the rider.

Very true Steve.

The trouble is, I'm an engineer at heart so like that elegance. 🙂

If someone isn't confident with fitting stuff to their bike, then simple is best.

• Like 1
embee

True about the Tutoro.

However the PD Oiler needs only a live feed switched from the ignition (plus an earth obviously). I used the supply to the socket in the cubby (std on the Integra). Not exactly rocket science, but admittedly it's more than the Tutoro needs.