Digital display

Guest KevinD

Guest KevinD

Has anyone bought a new NC750S or X this year and have trouble reading the new style digital display in bright sunshine.

Edited by KevinD
spelling error

Yes me, it's crap. I thought at first it was faulty, but no.

• Like 1
commuter

I often notice this with vehicle displays. We all know that direct sunlight from a certain angle almost always makes an LCD display very difficult to read. Now imagine that you are a vehicle designer and you know that the sun hits a display at a different angle depending on what longitude you live in and the time of day. Now you see the dilemma. There will always be difficult to read LCD unless you can always control the direction of all light sources.  One way they found to overcome this problem it to incorporate LCD monitors into pilots helmets and have the display very close to the pilots eye where it is very difficult to pick up stray light from other sources and therefore create a display which is always clear no matter what the light conditions. Another way which is partially successful is to install auxiliary lighting which "competes" with ambient lighting in order to maintain image visibility. I suspect that the auxiliary lighting in this case could be stringer in order to maintain the image in bright ambient conditions.

• Like 1
wingrider.steve

I'm quite fussy about this sort of thing (I bought a brand new Garmin zumo at vast expense because the previous one was so hard to read in bright sunlight) but I don't have a problem with the display on my 2016 NC750X apart from the colours on the tacho readout washing out in bright conditions but it's still perfectly readable.