Clutch Issue? (Honda Integra) (Wheel always turning on centre stand)

Croydonscooter

Croydonscooter

Hello All,

Technical/clutch related on the Integra NC700 1212 model .

When I place my 'smooter' on the centre  stand with the engine running the rear wheel rotates and it has always done this.   It is like the clutch is engaging slightly too much and it has done this since I bought it with 5k miles on it.   Sorry if this has already been discussed I did try searching for info about this.  The bike now has 8K miles on it bye the way.

Thanks

Aaron

Guest Hati

It's normal. Select neutral and the wheel will stop spinning. The DCT clutch works the opposite of manual clutches. These (manual) are always engaged by the springs, the lever works against those springs when pulled in to disengage. The DCT is always disengaged until the computer is asking for drive at which point the solenoids feed in oil to do what the springs do on the manual clutch and push the plates together.

SteveThackery
2 hours ago, Croydonscooter said:

When I place my 'smooter' on the centre  stand with the engine running the rear wheel rotates and it has always done this.  

Yes, it's normal.  There is always some slight viscous drag in the gearbox.  In fact, I recall reading somewhere that Honda have engineered it in - one of their research papers makes a passing reference, I think.

• Like 1

Mine did this until I shoved it in neutral 😑 

embee

Worth doing the DCT clutch initiation procedure, very simple, it's been discussed many times, try a search. Otherwise it's as the others say, there's always some slight drag, shafts are turning even when in neutral.

suffolk58

And keep your fingers well away from the chain whilst it's doing this.

One of our members didn't and paid a heavy price.

I'd search to find out who the original posters was, but I don't want to see the photos again.

Whoever it was, can you please let us know how your fingers are these days? Back to normal I hope.

• Like 1
Croydonscooter

Thanks people, I didn't really think it was an issue , I was just thinking to myself that when filtering it can be slightly 'juddery' when quickly slowing down to filter between traffic down to about 5 mph.   I just thought that maybe the if the clutch was engaged a fraction it might contribute towards this.  I have always found the throttle very sensitive (when accelerating off) and requires a gradual twist then open the throttle when the revs have built up a bit.  Also if the chain becomes a little slack (eg movement of around 25mm) the is a bit of a 'snatch' (technical term!) so for this reason I always keep the chain adjusted to 13mm of movement as per the manual.  

Anyway, happy days enjoying the sunny rides though London in the mornings and having fun on the Integra!

Thanks again for all your help

Aaron

• Like 1
embee

Chain slack should be more like 30-35mm. 13mm is way too little.

Have you done the DCT clutch initialisation yet? You might be surprised how much effect it may have, certainly made a big difference the first time I did it.

Croydonscooter

Hi Embee,   I will try the DCT clutch calibrate thanks for that, I have the step by step guide.   Regarding the chain tension, I'm sure it says 13mm on a sticker on the swing arm but I guess not.  When I used to ride scramblers as a teenager, I used to tension the chains very often and just did it by 'feel' as too tight and it would cause friction and slower the bike down and too loose the chain would come off around and I would get bogged down in the mud!

Croydonscooter

Nope 30mm movement of chain, I was wrong!

• Like 2
Defender
3 hours ago, Croydonscooter said:

Nope 30mm movement of chain, I was wrong!

We all make mistakes, but takes a special person to admit they're wrong👍.

Croydonscooter

Hi I just wanted to say a thanks to Emblee for the suggestion about carrying out the initiation procedure.  It worked a treat and the rear wheel no longer rotates when the bike is on the centre stand.   It wasn't immediate though, just after a run on it, it made a difference.  Cheers A

• Like 1