14k / 16k miles service

bat-kam

bat-kam

Had a go at doing the 16k miles service today. Bike has just turned 12k on the clock but 2.7k miles were done on the original dash. So I thought I would do the service as I had some time. 

NC is the first bike I checked the valve clearances in 30min. So easy and accessible. All exhaust valves were too tight and and all intake valves were too loose. 

Spark plugs as per pics and air filter clogged up. Oil very dark too. 

I am very pleased I did it. Just need to add new oil and top up coolant. 

Next will be to reset the DCT. 

Tomorrow I will be changing fork oil to 7.5w and springs in my yss emulators. 

IMG_5298.jpg

IMG_5299.jpg

IMG_5300.jpg

IMG_5301.jpg

• Like 2
trisaki

Did you use SILICATE  FREE COOLANT  to refill with better for the water pump   

• Like 1
bat-kam
50 minutes ago, machinman said:

Aren't the plugs good for 32000?

Maybe they are but i like to change thwm more often. It's just me

• Like 1
bat-kam
30 minutes ago, trisaki said:

Yes. I had some left ower after previous change. It was just enough for the top up

bat-kam

Could someone confirm where is the nax and min level on the oil dip stick please. I poured in 3,5 - 3,6l of oil

Grumpy old man
51 minutes ago, trisaki said:

What is silicate free coolant, where does one get it and why is it so important? 

Thanks

embee
22 minutes ago, Grumpy old man said:

What is silicate free coolant, where does one get it and why is it so important? 

Thanks

To cut a long story short, coolants can use various additives to provide corrosion protection, silicates, borates etc. Those containing silicates can result in wear of the water pump face seal which will end up with it leaking from the tell-tale hole in the pump housing. The seal is not replaceable so it means a new/secondhand pump.

Many coolants commercially available are silicate free, it should state that on the label, always check. Lots to choose from, I use Toyota Red personally, Halfords own brand is available, etc etc.

Edited by embee
  • Like 3
Grumpy old man
5 minutes ago, embee said:

To cut a long story short, coolants can use various additives to provide corrosion protection, silicates, borates etc. Those containing silicates can result in wear of the water pump face seal which will end up with it leaking from the tell-tale hole in the pump housing. The seal is not replaceable so it means a new/secondhand pump.

Many coolants commercially available are silicate free, it should state that on the label, always check. Lots to choose from, I use Toyota Red personally, Halfords own brand is available, etc etc.

Thanks Murray