Brake pads/wear

Guest Monty1952

Guest Monty1952

The wear indicators on the front pads look like they are about 2mm.  Is that saying in theory you can allow the pads get down to only about 2mm before changing? I have about 4-5mm left after 17,000 km or around 10,500 miles. To me the wear indicators seems to be really low vs wear indicators that suggested changing when about 5mm were left on the BMW C600 Sport scooter I had before. I have a code of 06455-MGS-D32 for front pads but can't seem to find rear code - anyone know?

Edited by Monty1952
Slowboy

Down to 2mm is fine, but take them out to check them, just in case of uneven wear. EBC semi sintered pads went fine in mine when the fronts wore out at 22,000 miles. They had about 2.5mm left, but I was doing the service so got on and changed them. Rear set lasted to 28,500 miles when new owner changed them.

shiggsy

The inside pad seems to wear quicker, for me at least, last time I changed them the outer pad (the easier one to see) was about 1.5mm, the inside pad was just about flush though.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
KingJames

Thread resurrection time.

I have FA196HH in the front and replace them on inspection when getting close to what looks like 2mm.  I checked them today and there is a bit to go but I've noticed the brake fluid could do with a top up.  It occurred to me that I have never noticed, and now can't find, the wear indicators. Where are they on both the front and rear calipers / pads?  There doesn't appear to be a bit of metal that is sticking out towards the disk so I'm assuming there is something clever on the pad.  I do seem to get through with the London traffic.  I blame the number of red traffic lights.

shiggsy

The brake fluid will appear slightly low because the pads are wearing and the pistons are pushed further out lowering the fluid level. If you top it up when it's like that, when you come to fit new pads and push the pistons back in the fluid will spill over the top.

• Like 1
ste7ios

It's normal for the fluid to go down as the brake pads wear... If fluid level is between high & low indicators it's ok. Never top up, because it will overflow when you will install the new pads...

See the owner's manual about the wear indicators on OEM (Nissin) brake pads, but I guess break pads from other manufacturers doesn't have them. EBC's break pads doesn't have them. Ferodo's too...

• Like 1
KingJames

Thanks all, the lack of wear indicators explains why I can't find them.  Noted re the brake fluid, it was worrying me slightly that it was barely above the lower line when the bike was at certain angles and at only ~ 3000 (admittedly London) miles since last changing them I'm surprised at the wear / level drop.   On a flat surface, the round port hole on the reservoir has the bottom of the bubble visible so it would have been only a splash I would have put in anyways to alleviate my paranoia but now I know better.  Tomorrow I'll try to measure the remaining pad depth accurately just in case they already need a change again.

Bart Stilgo

On the subject of brakes.

I get a horrible (non metallic) sound from the front disc if heavy braking.  Not a performance issue and not a wear issue.

The pads are originals from new with about 2500 miles on them.

It sounds as if the pads are being ground down

I have had similar noise from new pads but this soon stopped when a few miles were done.

I would like to put pads in that offer better stopping power even if this means a shorter life as I do find the brakes need some effort to make them effectual.  I had a Fazer 600 before and the brakes were very good.

Any thoughts

Guest sykospain

EBC semi-sintered seem to be the best replacement pads for our bikes.  Cheaper than Nissin or Honda branded ones, too.

Slowboy
On 04/07/2017 at 23:35, Bart Stilgo said:

I get a horrible (non metallic) sound from the front disc if heavy braking.  Not a performance issue and not a wear issue.

I have had similar noise from new pads but this soon stopped when a few miles were done.

I would like to put pads in that offer better stopping power even if this means a shorter life as I do find the brakes need some effort to make them effectual.  I had a Fazer 600 before and the brakes were very good.

Any thoughts

Most likely normal for the NC style "wavy" and drilled disc. The NC from my own experience stops pretty well (and I've owned a Ducati with four pot brembos) and of course you can't lock it up however hard you pull. As Sykospain says, EBC semi-sintered pads are pretty good. I'm not sure what else might give better initial bite, which at least will give the impression of stopping quicker.

Stopping rate is a function of tyre grip (ABS limiting factor) and heat dissipation from the disc. Maybe some supersport tyres would help you stop quicker (shorter distance), but unless you're regularly triggering the ABS, you'll have a bit left to go. Incidentally in a proper test my 2012 NC700X stopped quicker (shorter) by about 2 feet than a friend's BMW 1200RS from 40, both with the ABS chattering away.

Guest Mac750
On 04/07/2017 at 23:35, Bart Stilgo said:

Any thoughts

Normal,  mine also when used hard 2016 X.  

Bart Stilgo

Cheers chaps

I'll keep going (or is that keep stopping) until we need to change something, tyres, pads etc and then I can make a judgement of what to fit and if improvements will happen.  I don't have the cash to change parts early but saying that the brakes, brake and the tyres are sticking to the road so no safety issues.