Neo

X-adv

Griff

I got this months issue of Bike and noted that they were doing their top 50 bikes of 2017. I normally take these surveys with a grain of salt but I was still curious. The X came in 8th place much to my surprise. Their reasoning was valid imho, firstly that such bikes rarely make it on to the market from the prototype stage and fair play to Honda for doing so. Secondly whether it be a bike or a scooter it is a fun machine. I totally concur for once.

• Like 2

machinman

Musy be hard to rate a bike imo, due to everyone's different needs and preferences.

• Like 1

renners
2 minutes ago, machinman said:

Musy be hard to rate a bike imo, due to everyone's different needs and preferences.

Exactly for me a sports bike would come bottom of my list as now unable to ride one yet I know they can be outstanding machines just not for me now. The X-adv is on its own in the fact it ticks so many boxes of style, scooter, adventure, tourer , commuter and does them well reading reviews and reports. Should it be top bike really based on that?

machinman
17 minutes ago, renners said:

Exactly for me a sports bike would come bottom of my list as now unable to ride one yet I know they can be outstanding machines just not for me now. The X-adv is on its own in the fact it ticks so many boxes of style, scooter, adventure, tourer , commuter and does them well reading reviews and reports. Should it be top bike really based on that?

Totally agree, if you ask 10 people you get 10 varied answers. The NC platform has defintly made its mark.

• Like 2

phantom309

i rode one few weeks back in the rain . but it still performed very well. i was on tip toes though, lust racing have a new lowering kit now available 30mm .. which was my only concern. apart from the £9500 to buy it...

• Like 2

Griff

Yes, the X is expensive. However I suppose there are a lot of extras that will go part way to account for the price. They are centrestand as oem equipment, radial brakes, tubeless spoked wheels, usd forks with adjustment, the screen system, and keyless operation. I suppose an uncertain market for such a machine will also have contributed to the higher price. Either way I am glad I purchased. I now have a little over 2500 kms on mine and am very happy especially with its performance on twisty roads where it is huge fun. It continues to produce 70+ mpg and the rear tyre is wearing better than I expected. My only issue is a bit of a rattle from the screen mechanism over rough ground. The high speed compression damping of the suspension is a bit on the harsh side but I suspect that with mileage this will ease a bit. As yet I am not motivated to change anything on the bike. I am looking forward to loading it up for my first long trip. A Carrier, top box and crashbars have been added.

• Like 5

Griff

Still no sign of a dedicated forum for this bike other than the dedicated thread on the Advrider forum. Even that has relatively few posts so methinks very few of these bikes have sold at least in English speaking countries to date. Afaik it is not imported into the US as yet.

• Like 1

Griff

3500Kms on my X now.  All good so far as I continue to get used to DCT. I am tending to use D mode in traffic or commuting, and S1 on my favoured twisty backroads. As far as I can see there is little difference between the three S modes. What do NC owners think on this ?

On the suspension I am still experiencing a little harshness from the high speed compression damping but I realized only recently that this was at low speeds on the rougher roads. When clipping along at higher speeds on the same roads the harshness disappears and the bike positively floats over the bumps.

As far as I can see Givi are cobbling together some pannier racks for this bike. It will be interesting to see how they do this because the seat can be difficult to close unless one is firm with it, and if they put their mounting brackets on the carrier mounting bolts then the seat will be a little more difficult unless they supply shorter seat rubbers.

I expect Pyramid to have a Fenda Extenda any day now as they suggested 8 weeks from August 1.

I am happy with the Bridgestones still and I expect to replace them with the same unless someone comes up with a better alternative, but so far everyone seems happy enough.

• Like 2

Exceledsteve

Fenda extender would be good, along with a rear hugger. It's wide open back there and I reckon it's going to get proper messy in the winter. 

Tex
On 13/09/2017 at 11:00, Griff said:

Still no sign of a dedicated forum for this bike other than the dedicated thread on the Advrider forum. Even that has relatively few posts so methinks very few of these bikes have sold at least in English speaking countries to date. Afaik it is not imported into the US as yet.

Don't need a dedicated forum - you have us! Still haven't ridden (or seen!) an ADV yet. I'm avoiding doing so to avoid temptation.. :D 

• Like 6

Exceledsteve

I reckon it would fit you well Tex. if you rode one you'd want one. Go on... Try one 😈

• Like 1

PoppetM

They are nifty looking. Saw Neo (think it was Neo) up close, ok he terrified me when I thought he was going to clip his leg on a corner!

saw another one one morning this week it zipped up behind me on the light after/Bracknell rounadabout on the a322.

last night as I left the office at 6:30 expecting my bike to be the only one left, it was full of maxiscoots, Honda, Yamaha, Piaggio and two BMW electric ones. Rode my way round the green and passed two more bike bays also full of maxi scoots...either they are police plants or there was a scooter convention going on 😀

• Like 2

Exceledsteve

The winds of change have definitely swept the country. Once the preserve of the sports bike, now anything goes. It's really refreshing.

• Like 6

Tex
9 hours ago, Exceledsteve said:

I reckon it would fit you well Tex. if you rode one you'd want one. Go on... Try one 😈

Stop trying to lead me astray! :D It's far too soon to be thinking of parting with little Percy. He's not without his faults (who is?!) but I love him. Plans are afoot to make some subtle changes to him to further improve our 'fit'. Can't sell him before the parts even arrive.. :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rocker66
57 minutes ago, Tex said:

Stop trying to lead me astray! :D It's far too soon to be thinking of parting with little Percy. He's not without his faults (who is?!) but I love him. Plans are afoot to make some subtle changes to him to further improve our 'fit'. Can't sell him before the parts even arrive.. :D 

I'm sure Percy wouldn't object to sharing his garage with a trendy young X-ADV🙄

• Haha 3

Griff

I ran a Silverwing (FJS600) for almost 10 years commuting mainly. It was a particularly good scoot and I must admit I missed its convenience when I eventually parted with it. I am glad to have one back again albeit the X is very different. I love being able to go through showers again without having to stop to put on waterproofs if the speed can be kept up. I also like the largely dry boots after a long day in the wet.

• Like 4

Exceledsteve
7 hours ago, Griff said:

I ran a Silverwing (FJS600) for almost 10 years commuting mainly. It was a particularly good scoot and I must admit I missed its convenience when I eventually parted with it. I am glad to have one back again albeit the X is very different. I love being able to go through showers again without having to stop to put on waterproofs if the speed can be kept up. I also like the largely dry boots after a long day in the wet.

Same here Griff. I sold my Silverwing recently to get the X-ADV. no regrets. It's not quite as practical as the wing but it's practical enough, and it's MUCH nicer to ride. 

• Like 2

Tex
9 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

I'm sure Percy wouldn't object to sharing his garage with a trendy young X-ADV🙄

I'm quite sure we could squeeze a third bike in the garage without objection from either of the Triumphs.  The same can't be said of our respective wives, sadly. :( 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PoppetM
1 hour ago, Tex said:

I'm quite sure we could squeeze a third bike in the garage without objection from either of the Triumphs.  The same can't be said of our respective wives, sadly. :( 

3rd bike? Tex what else are you hiding?!

Rocker66
42 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

3rd bike? Tex what else are you hiding?!

As he said the two Triumphs I'm guessing the 3rd bike would be his sons Triumph Speed Tripple or Street Tripple I can't remember which it is.

• Like 1

renners

i think he is implying he also has two wives in the garage and along with another bike could handle another wife.  :)

• Sigh 1
  • Sad 1

PoppetM
16 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

As he said the two Triumphs I'm guessing the 3rd bike would be his sons Triumph Speed Tripple or Street Tripple I can't remember which it is.

Oh I see..sorry

• Haha 1

Tex
1 hour ago, Rocker66 said:

Sam, Rocker is right. The '09 Street Triple R I 'share' with my son is the other one. Except I don't ride it anymore because he fitted the world's loudest exhaust on the poor thing. Seriously, Rossi's M1 makes less noise. I can't be doing with it. It's embarrassing, illegal and creates the worst possible impression of motorcyclists.

I'm going to sneak into the garage when he's at work one day and see if I can't quieten it down a bit. We have to re-pack the silencers on the race bikes from time to time and I will try the same method.

No 'extra' wife for me, either. One is (more than) enough, thanks. :D 

• Like 3

Rocker66
3 minutes ago, Tex said:

Sam, Rocker is right. The '09 Street Triple R I 'share' with my son is the other one. Except I don't ride it anymore because he fitted the world's loudest exhaust on the poor thing. Seriously, Rossi's M1 makes less noise. I can't be doing with it. It's embarrassing, illegal and creates the worst possible impression of motorcyclists.

I'm going to sneak into the garage when he's at work one day and see if I can't quieten it down a bit. We have to re-pack the silencers on the race bikes from time to time and I will try the same method.

No 'extra' wife for me, either. One is (more than) enough, thanks. :D 

Did he fit the exhaust to discourage you from riding it? 😀😀

• Haha 1

Tex
2 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

Did he fit the exhaust to discourage you from riding it? 😀😀

Possibly! :D It's certainly worked..

He's making the same mistakes now that I made when I was young. Except I started riding on my 16th birthday and he was 30 (I think). So, although he's old enough to know better he's not got the experience.. (sigh).

He thinks 'loud pipes save lives'. That bloody thing can save lives in Hampshire before he leaves Sussex! :( 

• Like 3