djsb

Can parking brake cable be extended?

djsb

I'm going to be fitting a Rox riser handlebar riser and I'm wondering if the parking brake cable could be lengthened? There are places that can make custom cables (carrot cycles for one) but I'd like to avoid having to remove the cable if possible.

I came across these detachable cable links for Tandem cycles

http://26inchslicks.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/davinci-easy-split-install.html

but they only work on the inner cable. The outer cable would have to be extended somehow. Also not sure how it would get through an MOT with one fitted?

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

P.S I'm hoping this won't be needed but just thinking ahead.

Edited by djsb

outrunner

what height risers are you fitting? I have 1-inch risers on my bike and the cables are all fine.

Andy.

djsb
33 minutes ago, outrunner said:

what height risers are you fitting? I have 1-inch risers on my bike and the cables are all fine.

Andy.

They are 2" risers. These

https://roxspeedfx.com/collections/adv-dual-sport-dirt-bike-handlebar-risers/products/2-pivoting-bar-risers-for-7-8-handlebar?variant=1025083705

Edited by djsb

slowboy

Not really, you will need a new cable to be made up. And new brake lines, new throttle cable and some extensions to all the electrical cables. All achievable but a big job. I fitted 1" risers to a fellow forum members bike, along with led handguards, and a fuzebloc. The brake line was the limiting factor, but there's not much spare electrical cable either.

a good day's work.

• Like 2

Tex

Cable extensions are a huge "no way" at MOT time. Unless the rules have changed, but I don't imagine they have.. :D 

You're going to have to really  want those risers to go through all the fiddle faddle of fitting them. Vehicle manufacturers cost things out to the penny and by the millimetre. They don't add 'a couple of inches for luck' to switch wiring, cables and hoses. Indeed, one car manufacturer (who I can't name - but would bloody like too) miscalculated the length of wire required inside the doors. The connection would pull apart under tension and the electric window and door lock on that door would cease. A single centimetre more wire would have solved it all. But a single centimetre x 4 doors x 100,000 vehicles? Too expensive. :( 

It's by no means impossible, but it's going to be a frustrating day. Good luck.

• Like 1

djsb
1 hour ago, outrunner said:

Andy.

Which are the risers you use? Looks like I'll have to compromise.

Brigante7

I fitted 30mm risers and the cables were fine.

Brigante7.

djsb

Outrunner and Brigante7,

Please share details of the risers you fitted. Thanks.

outrunner
4 hours ago, djsb said:

Outrunner and Brigante7,

Please share details of the risers you fitted. Thanks.

To be honest, it is so long since I fitted them I do not recall the make of the risers but I am sure they came from that auction site, sorry I can not be of more help.

Andy.

outrunner
26 minutes ago, Brigante7 said:

Those look the same as the ones I got although I painted mine black to match the bike.

Andy.

djsb

Thanks.

djsb

Ordered a pair of the NC700 shop risers instead. Too much hassle trying to extend all the cables and brake hose. Got enough to do as it is. Thanks for all your input.

HondaJohn

So folks, is it possible or not to fit bar risers to a 2019 NC 750 X?

slowboy
15 hours ago, HondaJohn said:

So folks, is it possible or not to fit bar risers to a 2019 NC 750 X?

Yes, but I wouldn't fit more than 30mm risers. There's only so much cable spare. Over that and the brake line and clutch cable are a significant limiting factor.

But if you want to extent all the electrics, get longer brake lines and a longer clutch cable, (handbrake cable on a DCT) the world's your apehangers, or something like that.😁

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 3

outrunner

A few months ago I changed my risers for up and back risers, 30mm up and 20mm back. You have to remove the brake line from the guide on the headstock to give a little more play, but otherwise no problem.

Andy.

Edited by outrunner