How many miles can I get out of an NC750

Guest capt.hanky

Guest capt.hanky

Hi, I've been using my NC to commute to work for a while now, the mileage is on about 23k.  What experiences have you guys got with racking up high miles.  Is it possible to get 80k out of a bike without too many issues?  I really like it but don't see the point in changing every couple of years for a slightly newer model if I can just keep this one running.  It's a dct by the way if that makes any difference. 

Thanks

Matt

Mikdent

I have no experience of owning a high mileage NC but I can see no probs with it doing in excess of 100k miles (at least) if it's well looked after.

Its a Honda after all. :niceone:

• Like 2
embee

Mechanically there shouldn't be any issues. Usually really high mileage bikes die due to general deterioration due to salt corrosion etc.

Deauvilles will happily do 150k plus miles, I'd be surprised if the NC is much different.

If you intend to run it to high miles, keep on top of the routine servicing, change fluids regularly (including coolant, fork oil and brake fluid), and keep it protected with suitable products like ACF50 etc. Fork gaiters would be a worthwhile addition, plus a shock sock is essential. Service the brake calipers regularly to avoid corrosion, red rubber grease round the exposed parts of the pistons will help a lot.

Always worth dismantling the rear suspension linkage and fully pack the bearings with suitable grease, it's an easy DIY job.

Edited by embee
  • Like 3
ScooterCommuter

Here's a youtube video of a pretty thorough check at 50,000k - looks promising for much higher mileage...

• Like 2
old commuter

Embee - that sounds really complicated to dismantle but I would love to find something like that easy - is there a guide for dismantling the linkage?

embee

It's not complicated or difficult, basically 4 long bolts. It helps enormously if the bike has a centrestand of course, rather tricky without.

Search youtube, there's a video how-to for practically everything you can think of somewhere. Doesn't even necessarily need to be an NC, many/most bikes have some sort of similar linkage arrangement these days, just use the same principles. If the bearings are still in good condition there's no need to wash out the old grease (and it can often do more harm than good by introducing dirt etc), just squeeze fresh grease in using a finger (or other convenient item).

If you're not into that sort of thing it's a quick job for any half decent mechanic/dealer.

• Like 1
Defender

I would expect at least 100k from one without much trouble, regular servicing and other maintenance being carried out accordingly, and as Jerry said it's a Honda!😀

Taipan

Just sold a sh300 with 80k on it and that was pretty much faultless during my ownership of it, so I'd expect the NCto be as good as it's an understrssed engine. I always service them as pe schedule and use good oils etc.

• Like 1
motorbykcourier

Still trugging along at 160K  miles

Had best mpg this week of 87mpg with a 'controlled run' to Liverpool - still beat the sat nav ...Lol

• Like 5
TheEnglishman

North of 40k here and apart from both spark plug leads arcing and being replaced under warranty it's been fine. Doing the valves at the weekend. I'm not expecting drama there. 

But I am starting to wonder how long the DCT clutches will go on for before needing replacing at £550 each. 

I just wish wish it had a bigger tank that did nearer 300 miles instead of 200. 

• Like 1
Huskyteer
On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 15:15, capt.hanky said:

Is it possible to get 80k out of a bike without too many issues?

Done it with mine :) Cosmetically it's starting to look a bit long in the tooth, but mechanically, touch wood, it's sound.

• Like 1
Guest sykospain

I chatted with a Spanish courier who'd just delivered something on the playa the other day.  He was riding a Madrid-plated red S-DCT that looked very similar to mine;  he showed me the odometer on this pristine-looking year '13 bike :-

220K  Km

He said the only things he's needed  in that time is 4 sets of tires and 3 sets of pastillas ( pads).  And he said he normally did the DCT re-learn routine once a year.

So that's a durable bike then....

• 5 years later...

Any increase in mileages since the last post on this 2017? I am determined to get a 100,000 miles out my NC750S. I did get 72000 miles out of my CBR600 in 3 years which I thought was pretty good going. Motorbikecourier is the star here with stellar mileage.

• Like 2

im at 90k now - use it for commuting, get put away wet, but gets its oil change every 8k.

just starts and goes.... only had one failure of the relay for the fuel pump - £15 and 5 misn to change, then just wear items, fork seals around 50-60k, a real wheel bearing where it got water ingress, and thats about it I think... and its a DCT

• Like 9
yellownev

Here is Mike Gange’s thoughts on hose 260,000 km on his DCT NC …..

• Like 2