Tyre mileage expectations

Graham NZ

Graham NZ

What tyre mileages are X and S bikes getting with mixed on-road use?  By mixed I mean urban, motorway and minor roads and one and two-up. An open question for sure so a wide range of answers is expected.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tex

• XXX

• Graham NZ

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stephen, Rocker doesn't drive a car and I don't imagine he knows what tyre wear would be like on one, other than 'much less than a bike'.    I replaced the standard (Bridgestone) tyres at 4,

Good man!  Every time I fit tyres I give them a pat and say "Right boys - you're here for a good time, not a long time!"  

OEM Metzlers about 8000 from the front and 6000 from the rear, Michelin PR3s about 12,000 from the front and 10,000 from the rear. Significantly improved grip in the wet and more secure feeling in all

Tex

Some UK models were fitted with Dunlop (I think) tyres that wore out extremely quickly. Honda UK took the unprecedented step of replacing them under warranty. First (and only) time I heard of that happening. 

Apart from those ones, tyre life doesn't seem to be a concern. Members generally report good life from their tyres on the NC range. The Michelin PR3 or 4 seems to be most popular replacement tyre.,

What have you got on there currently?

• Like 1

I have 4,400km on my NC and the front tyre is looking a bit dodgy. I'm getting a TomTom power supply and USB port installed Tuesday so I'll ask the dealer what he thinks. Certainly, under 5k doesn't seem like a lot if you compare to how long car tyres last, but I have no reference for motorbikes. 

• Like 1
Rocker66
44 minutes ago, Woody 99 said:

I have 4,400km on my NC and the front tyre is looking a bit dodgy. I'm getting a TomTom power supply and USB port installed Tuesday so I'll ask the dealer what he thinks. Certainly, under 5k doesn't seem like a lot if you compare to how long car tyres last, but I have no reference for motorbikes. 

Certainly don't think in car mileage terms for bike tyres.

30 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

Certainly don't think in car mileage terms for bike tyres.

So no useful comment as to whether 3,000 miles is normal then? I could have figured out for myself that bike mileage and car mileage is different. 

suffolk58
34 minutes ago, Woody 99 said:

So no useful comment as to whether 3,000 miles is normal then? I could have figured out for myself that bike mileage and car mileage is different. 

Stephen, if the front tyre is a Dunlop Trailmax then you've done very well (mine lasted just over 2,000 miles). In contrast, my last couple of pairs of Michelins (PR4) have both survived 10,000 miles.

• Like 2
Tex

Stephen, Rocker doesn't drive a car and I don't imagine he knows what tyre wear would be like on one, other than 'much less than a bike'.

I replaced the standard (Bridgestone) tyres at 4,000 miles. The front had worn into a weird 'triangular' shape and was affecting the steering (and my enjoyment of the bike). I normally change tyres (always as a pair - never individually) around 5,000 miles because they will be worn enough to have lost their 'edge'.

Motorcycle tyres work a lot harder than car tyres and the effects of wear are far more pronounced. Some folks can shrug that off and use their tyres right to the end. I'm not one of them (although I could probably force myself into that mind frame if was a high mileage commuter!). I ride for pleasure now and anything that spoils it goes in a skip.

My son has his second set of PR4s on the Street Triple. The original Dunlops were shot by 3,000 miles, the first set of PR4s lasted 7,000 and the current set now have 5,000 on them. Superb tyres. I'm not claiming they're the 'best' because technology is advancing quickly in the motoring world and the game changes constantly, but I have loved them on three different machines now.

Percy the T100 has an odd mix of radial rear and cross ply front (WTF, Triumph?) and I was prepared to hate them. Turns out Triumph (and Pirelli) know more about it than I do and they're fine. Which is a real relief because they're odd sizes and replacing them won't be easy.

• Like 3
embee

The road surfaces will have a marked influence on wear rates too, you often find mountain roads can be a lot more abrasive than lowland ones.

Like Simon I binned the original Metz Z8 tyres at around 5k miles because I didn't like how the front was wearing (triangular) and it spoilt the ride.

The first PR4 rear was changed at around 8k miles because I was about to go on a long tour and didn't want a worn out tyre at the end, it would have been good for 10k miles quite comfortably. The front was changed at about 13k, again tread left but the feel had gone off. The second rear has done around 8k miles and the wear is a little less than the first one but it is beginning to cup the blocks noticeably. It might do me for another 2k depending on what trips I get planned.

• Like 2
ste7ios

My OEM Z8 tyres lasted 15,413 mi because of the bad Greek asphalt, which has the grip of an oil spil... The wear was still minimal but the grip was awful (from day 0) and they were squared... I guess they could give 10.000 mi more but full of compromises...

I replaced them with Bridgestone S21 (sport) for more grip and I expect the same mileage as a touring tyre on Britain...

• Like 2
arengle

I have the original Dunlop and at 6500 miles, front tire is approaching the limit, 1.5mm mark, but the back is still far, around 3.5mm compare with the 2mm limit. Just ride normaly and at every 500 miles measure them and in this way you will figure it out how much will last

• Like 2

I've checked and I have Bridgestone Battlewings, both front and back. Most of the front tyre looks fine but there is one slightly deformed patch. The back looks perfectly ok. After all, it's not as if I thrash the bike - quite the contrary. 

• Like 1
Rocker66
8 hours ago, Woody 99 said:

It would difficult to say whether 3000 is normal as it depends so many variables.. Tpe of tyre how the bike is used for example any tyre will square off much faster if a lot of motorway is used. There is also how the rider rides fast acceleration and heavy breaking will wear a tyre much faster. Another factor is if the rider checks and adjusts the pressures regulary or not. My comment reference not comparing it with car tyres comes from comments from friends who drive but do not ride

• Like 2
Graham NZ

All interesting, thanks.  I'd hope for at least 8k miles on bikes of such modest power. Maybe the long wheelbase and conservative steering geometry are causing any odd front wear experienced.

usabikes

26,000 kms out of the front PR4 Graham and half that for each rear PR4 in New Zealand conditions - albeit in the South Island. Can't really complain given the excellent grip offered.

• Like 1
Tex
4 hours ago, Graham NZ said:

All interesting, thanks.  I'd hope for at least 8k miles on bikes of such modest power. Maybe the long wheelbase and conservative steering geometry are causing any odd front wear experienced.

You won't get that from the OE tyres (unless you ride like a nun with a guiltily conscience) but it's easily achieved with a good replacement. PR3 or 4 suit the model very well and will last 10k miles (estimated from experience on other much more powerful bikes). Good luck.

• Like 2
Grumpy old man

Well I'm getting 6000 miles out the rear and 9500 out the front on PR4's with very little motorway work

Tex
1 hour ago, Grumpy old man said:

Well I'm getting 6000 miles out the rear and 9500 out the front on PR4's with very little motorway work

Good man! :) Every time I fit tyres I give them a pat and say "Right boys - you're here for a good time, not a long time!" :D 

• Like 3
rjp996

i'm getting 12k out of rear PR4 and only a little more out of the front (front always seems to not wear so good - still trying to work out why). - If anyone knows why the leading 1/4 of every tread block on both sides of the front wheel wear's down to leave the both sides of the tyre with a wavy surface. Both sides, exactly the same so not wheel alignment. wear is only on the front 1/4 of every leading edge of the ttyre block, and nothing in the center so don't think its the rebound on the front shock... but puzzled - dealer no idea either (this is the second front tyre it had happened on, however the tyres were the same batch probably as I bought 5 tyres all at the same time) - sorry for thread hi-jack ;-)

• Like 1
Tex

Not a hi-jack at all. Very valid comments on front tyre wear. I'm trying to get my head around your problem (with a marked lack of success, currently!).

Slowboy

Might be tread block deformation, especially if you use the brakes on turn in to corners and load up the front tyre. I get the same wear pattern, it's just down to the way I ride which is not text book I'm sure.

After many years I just accept it's me and not the tyres.

• Like 2
matt28

Just checked out, and after 5000 miles on Bridgestone Battlax 021, I have 1.5 mm left at front and approx 3 mm at rear tyre left.

Mixed city/motorway/country roads.

• Like 1

So, had my dealer visit today. GPS power source installed but I also ordered a new front tyre - a PR4 - as the front tyre was down below 1.5mm after 4,400 km. dealer says the back tyre still in excellent nick so will only be changing the front. Why one wears so much quicker than the other is a mystery to me but I do tend to use the front brake much more given how weedy the back brake is on the NC.

outrunner

One day I must try these Pirelli things as I am destroying tyres at around 5000 miles a set. Mind you, I never take them below 2mm and change both at the same time as I do not like putting a new rear tyre with a worn front one even though I could probably get another 1000 miles out of the fronts. I am currently on my 3rd set of Bridgestone T30 Evos, great grip and feel wet or dry and they give me great confidence on all road surfaces so I am loath to change to something unknown to me, perhaps the next time I will go with Conti Road Attack 2's as I have used them on 3 previous bikes and really liked them as well. When I got the NC I was going to fit the Conti Trail Attacks for that "rugged adventure bike look"  :whistle: but could not get the right sizes so I went with the Bridgestone tyres on the advice of my bike shop. Anyhoo, I digress as I will aways trade mileage in favour of grip but maybe, sometime, I will try Pirelli. :unsure:

Andy.

• Like 1
Grumpy old man
10 hours ago, outrunner said:

One day I must try these Pirelli things as I am destroying tyres at around 5000 miles a set. Mind you, I never take them below 2mm and change both at the same time as I do not like putting a new rear tyre with a worn front one even though I could probably get another 1000 miles out of the fronts. I am currently on my 3rd set of Bridgestone T30 Evos, great grip and feel wet or dry and they give me great confidence on all road surfaces so I am loath to change to something unknown to me, perhaps the next time I will go with Conti Road Attack 2's as I have used them on 3 previous bikes and really liked them as well. When I got the NC I was going to fit the Conti Trail Attacks for that "rugged adventure bike look"  :whistle: but could not get the right sizes so I went with the Bridgestone tyres on the advice of my bike shop. Anyhoo, I digress as I will aways trade mileage in favour of grip but maybe, sometime, I will try Pirelli. :unsure:

Andy.

Hi Andy, do you mean Pirelli or Michelin PR4s? Which Pirelli do you mean? 

Slowboy

OEM Metzlers about 8000 from the front and 6000 from the rear, Michelin PR3s about 12,000 from the front and 10,000 from the rear. Significantly improved grip in the wet and more secure feeling in all conditions from the PR3s.

On a separate note, currently running Bridgestone 023s on my 1992 Daytona 1000 and they feel as good as the Michelins did, in all conditions, on my NC. They are new, so no mileage data yet.

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 2