Tyre mileage expectations

Graham NZ

Graham NZ

Are we all using the recommended the pressures?  I do always.  Poor shaping on a front is often a sign of incorrect pressure.

Michelin PR have been good for me. Now Contisport Attack on Buell and feel OK

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tex

• XXX

• Rocker66

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stephen, Rocker doesn't drive a car and I don't imagine he knows what tyre wear would be like on one, other than 'much less than a bike'.    I replaced the standard (Bridgestone) tyres at 4,

Good man!  Every time I fit tyres I give them a pat and say "Right boys - you're here for a good time, not a long time!"  

OEM Metzlers about 8000 from the front and 6000 from the rear, Michelin PR3s about 12,000 from the front and 10,000 from the rear. Significantly improved grip in the wet and more secure feeling in all

Graham NZ

Just checked some figures. M PR2 on Buell lasted almost 12k miles to first wear indicator. Right  side of front. The winding mountain crossing I ride a lot is hard on the front right in the downhill corners.

outrunner
4 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

Hi Andy, do you mean Pirelli or Michelin PR4s? Which Pirelli do you mean? 

Oops! my mistake, I really should proofread before posting. :blush: I did mean Michelin PR's.

Andy.

• Like 1
Guest sykospain

Stephen in Switzerland - you really must check out the brake caliper mount on your rear wheel.  There was a batch of NC bikes with the caliper mounted incorrectly so that only part of the pads was rubbing on the disk when braking.  It's easy to fix with judiciously-inserted spacers in-between to line up the caliper correctly parallel to the disk.

My 2015 NC750S rear brake is excellent, so much so that I only ever use the rear brake except in rare emergency situations like a cager pulling out on me with no warning.

I just had new Michelin PR3 tires fitted this morning after my second set of Bridgestones needed replacing at the bike's total mileage of 16 thousand KM.

Immediate impression , even with brand new shiny whiskery rubber is much better feel, handling, comfort and confidence when leaned over.

Brigante7

When I bought my 750x DCT in April 2016 it had bridgstone 023 front and back, both had 4mm on them and now 8300 miles later the rear has 1.6mm and front 1.8mm, they are being replaced in 2 weeks, bridgestone 023 front and back again.

Brigante7.

KingJames

Michelin Road Pilot 4, up to 8k miles with more life left in them despite the plugged punctures.  They are sensitive to lower pressures, I run on 36 and 42 PSI, if the rear is at 38 it feels horrible.

Edited by KingJames

Thanks Alan. I'll have the rear brake checked out when they replace the front tyre. 

TheEnglishman

I got nearly 20k from a pair of Avon Storms - they were absolutely knackered though.  

Avon Roadriders next or Maxxis SuperMaxx next.  Can't justify £250+ for PR4's given the mileage I do.

Guest sykospain

Wow, Neil - £250+ for new PR4s in the UK ! !  So my €250 for a new pair of PR3s dated-stamped May 2017 and fitted, seems like a bargain...They weren't on offer either, according to mechanic José.  And the ride is transformed.

Edited by sykospain
Tex
13 minutes ago, sykospain said:

Wow, Neil - £250+ for new PR4s in the UK ! !  So my €250 for a new pair of PR3s dated-stamped May 2017 and fitted, seems like a bargain...They weren't on offer either, according to mechanic José.  And the ride is transformed.

Things are always overpriced here, Alan. In the past I have bought a lot of stuff from Germany. In fact the panniers on my Triumph came from there, come to think of it. £350 in the U.K. (you're having a laugh, Mr Bloor?!) and £270, including shipping, from the Erics.

My Ohlins rear shocks came from Italy for £609 all in. The thick end of £1,000 from the U.K. :( 

It used to be much better before the £ crashed against the € (thanks Mr Cameron!) but I know that I don't need to tell you that..

In the post office yesterday I noticed that a £ buys you €1.09. So I guess your tyres were pretty much on par.

Guest sykospain

Almost, yes Simon.  We get €1.13 to the pound Sterling from a cash machine here using our Caxton FX top-uppable credit card loaded from our UK internet bank.

When we first emigrated 16 years ago it was €1.49 to the pound and just before the crass vote last year it was €1.30 or thereabouts.  So thanks very much all you Little Englanders....

I hope Nissan, HSBC, Toyota, Microsoft, Lloyds of London, Goldman Sachs, Amazon and all the other European-based manufacturing and distribution plants up sticks and lose all of you your jobs.

Edited by sykospain
typos as usual
shiggsy

Just bought a set of Avon 3D-XM's for £ 150.  Get 10k from the fronts, 15k from the rears.  I have used Avons for about 10 years but these days with Brexit I am trying to make a point to support British manufacturers over European ones anyway. (Sorry for getting political :)  )

Rocker66
14 minutes ago, sykospain said:

Almost, yes Simon.  We get €1.13 to the pound Sterling from a cash machine here using our Caxton FX top-uppable credit card loaded from our UK internet bank.

When we first emigrated 16 years ago it was €1.49 to the pound and just before the crass vote last year it was €1.30 or thereabouts.  So thanks very much all you Little Englanders....

I hope Nissan, HSBC, Toyota, Microsoft, Lloyds of London, Goldman Sachs, Amazon and all the other European-based manufacturing and distribution plants up sticks and lose all of you your jobs.

Don't blame all the Brits some of didn't fall for the con.

• Like 1
Guest phantom309

I have Bridgestone Battlewings, done 3400 miles an got about another 1000 left in the back tyre . fantastic tyres. grip so well right to the edge of the tyre . 

Guest aldmannie
31 minutes ago, phantom309 said:

I have Bridgestone Battlewings, done 3400 miles an got about another 1000 left in the back tyre . fantastic tyres. grip so well right to the edge of the tyre . 

4400 miles to knackered means it cannot ever be thought of as fantastic.

(unless you're in the tyre selling business)

Brigante7
3 hours ago, sykospain said:

I really want to reply to your post in the correct manner but seeing as I like this forum I'll bite my tongue.

P.S. I voted to leave the wholly corrupt eu and I would do so again tomorrow. Yes there will be a period of change, but the fact that we have a dithering PM isn't helping.

P.P.S. I'm Scottish not English.

Brigante7.

Edited by Brigante7
Tex
3 hours ago, sykospain said:

That's not very nice, is it? :(

Guest aldmannie
2 minutes ago, Tex said:

That's not very nice, is it? :(

Hard to think of any way in which anything about the whole Brexit fiasco could be described as nice.

It will be a cluster**** of epic proportions and the only hope for a decent future is that it doesn't actually go ahead.

Tex

Even so, Graham, I still don't think someone wishing wholesale redundancy on a nation (his own nation, come to that) is 'acceptable'. Far from it, actually.

• Like 1

This really isn't the place for nasty remarks, so someone needs to think before they post in future!

We all know politics is a dirty word on here, so cut it out or I'll close the thread.

• Like 2
Guest aldmannie
3 hours ago, Tex said:

Even so, Graham, I still don't think someone wishing wholesale redundancy on a nation (his own nation, come to that) is 'acceptable'. Far from it, actually.

I agree with you.

But I don't accept that the UK is one nation.

Also...

Brigante7 complains that the EU is corrupt, but Westminster is far worse.

A billion pound bribe to the DUP and burning the poor alive are two examples that immediately spring to mind.

Edited by aldmannie
Tex

I refer you to Ted's post immediately above your own. 

Guest machinman
16 hours ago, sykospain said:

I wish you good day too.