Tyre mileage expectations

Graham NZ

Crofty

Rears never less than 10k. Bridgestone  BT 023 / Pirelli Angel GT / Heidenau  K60  Fronts 12 to 15k, Bridgestone and Pirelli same models as rears. All my mileage is touring either In this country or abroad, bike rarely over 80mph and 4000 rpm In gears, 100kg rider and usually 20kg luggage

Edited by Crofty
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tex

• XXX

• Rocker66

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stephen, Rocker doesn't drive a car and I don't imagine he knows what tyre wear would be like on one, other than 'much less than a bike'.    I replaced the standard (Bridgestone) tyres at 4,

Good man!  Every time I fit tyres I give them a pat and say "Right boys - you're here for a good time, not a long time!"  

OEM Metzlers about 8000 from the front and 6000 from the rear, Michelin PR3s about 12,000 from the front and 10,000 from the rear. Significantly improved grip in the wet and more secure feeling in all

Guest sykospain

Looking at the BMW GS forum in the UK, there's lots of favourable comments about the 'Shinko' brand tires, designed in Japan and manufactured in South Korea using technology acquired from the Yokohama Rubber Company, whose products are seen on all sorts of commercial and heavy goods vehicles world-wide.

Opinions on there include praise for their cheaper prices for equivalent service life to expensive brands like the Michelins I just had fitted.  Duh....

Tyres-outlet and pneus-online seem to be the major distributors in the UK.

Tex

There are two things I'm 'fussy' about. Tyres and oil. Saving a few £££s ( or €€€s) never even enters my head. Three if you include a preference for NGK plugs. 

I'm not anal about fuel, for example, and will run my vehicles on the cheapest slop a local supermarket can provide. I don't scour the shelves looking for a favourite brand of polish (my dad would only use Simonize claiming it was the best he'd tried). 

Detractors would, doubtless, point to me and say "You need to keep a more open mind". I rather prefer to just consider myself 'discerning' :D 

• Like 1

There were some scare stories a while back about the "cheap" petrol in cars and what was added to make it so (and possible damage to engine/parts/valves etc), but TBH, as a new rider, there seem to be *so many* options for stuff like chain oil/grease/wet/dry, tyres, cleaning fluids etc - its pretty confusing when you have little reference to base a choice on.  Thank goodness for you lot :flowers:.  I try to mentally count up the "yeah/no" against products and follow that.  So please continue to let loose :-)

• Like 1
Rocker66
35 minutes ago, Tex said:

There are two things I'm 'fussy' about. Tyres and oil. Saving a few £££s ( or €€€s) never even enters my head. Three if you include a preference for NGK plugs. 

I'm not anal about fuel, for example, and will run my vehicles on the cheapest slop a local supermarket can provide. I don't scour the shelves looking for a favourite brand of polish (my dad would only use Simonize claiming it was the best he'd tried). 

Detractors would, doubtless, point to me and say "You need to keep a more open mind". I rather prefer to just consider myself 'discerning' :D 

I agree especially about tyres. For me the best ones are those that the rider has confidence in.

usabikes
On 8/07/2017 at 22:17, Tex said:

Have to agree with you. How much could the cheaper tyre cost you if you stack the bike up in the wet because it doesn't grip as well? Also my bikes get 0-40 full synthetic these days, price difference is insignificant compared to long term wear.

(I really like them Iridium spark plugs too bro. Especially on a bike like my new one with a very hard to get at rear head. 80,000 ks between attending to them suits me)

• Like 1
embee

In the past I've done a lot of work with spark plug manufacturers. Personally I'd always try to use NGK or Denso, not much to choose between them in my experience, I usually just see what the best value is.

Note that the NC uses iridium plugs as standard and these should be good for at least 30k miles, I've run them to 50k miles quite happily in other engines.

A couple of online suppliers I've had good service from (no commercial connection).

http://www.gsparkplug.com/.

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/

You can find cheaper on auction sites but are you sure they're genuine? There are fake plugs around (like so many things).

Edited by embee