Sign in to follow this  
matt28

Yamaha 700 Tracer

matt28

I'm going for test ride tomorrow,  just want to know what is your general opinion about this bike, or do you know someone who owns one. 

aldmannie

Guy at my work has one, quite likes it.

Has a fully stainless exhaust and PR4 tyres, which contribute to giving it a better spec than the NC imo

The only reasons I can see for choosing an NC over the Tracer would be DCT and/or the fake tank luggage box.

Shad luggage is available for the Tracer 700, the factory Yamaha panniers are not up to much.

My only criticism would be the miniature rear light.

Since launch the price has shot up from £6300 to £7150 but theres a 36 month 0% HP deal available just now.

Watch out for the lure of the shiny thing...

• Like 1

alhendo1

I tried one of these and thought hard about it before deciding on the Nc....power delivery as you'd imagine is different but I felt the Nc to be a more stable/heavier bike which I liked. I also found the front end felt fidgety/vibey over typical town/30mph/patchy road surfaces....possibly just my test bike but I couldn't have lived with it....but once out on the road it was a good bike...pulled well and rode fine at dual carriageway /motorway speeds.

• Like 1

matt28

Thanks guys.

Looks like I'll have 2 hours free ride today. 

Checking other options, but probably stay with my NC.

Black Marauder

I tried the 700 Tracer, nimble & easier to physically man-handle into my shed ! than the NC 750X...but [at the time ] no centre stand was available ...then tried the 900 Tracer..what a difference & a centre stand ! just a "little bit" heavier than the 700 Tracer but still [for me] easier than the NC 750X ! Only missing the handy frunk & the economy 85mpg, against ONLY 65mpg on the 900 Tracer...but wow even with a pillion there is more than enough grunt...even in the "B" mode. 

• Like 2

poldark

If i hadn't specifically wanted DCT I'm sure I'd have gone with one or other of the Tracer options.

Very certain that my pillion will be pleased I've prioritised DCT!!

ScaredyCat

I think Yamaha are throwing in £1000's worth of extra stuff on a new 700, like luggage.

• Like 2

Tex
3 hours ago, Black Marauder said:

I tried the 700 Tracer, nimble & easier to physically man-handle into my shed ! than the NC 750X...but [at the time ] no centre stand was available ...then tried the 900 Tracer..what a difference & a centre stand ! just a "little bit" heavier than the 700 Tracer but still [for me] easier than the NC 750X ! Only missing the handy frunk & the economy 85mpg, against ONLY 65mpg on the 900 Tracer...but wow even with a pillion there is more than enough grunt...even in the "B" mode. 

There's not much a twin can do that a triple can't do better - just sayin' :) 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

matt28

So, I'm after test ride. Done approx 80 miles through city/country roads, and around 20 miles on motorway, filtering for about 8 miles, as traffic was quite tense.

Tracer is slightly lower, but sitting position is very similar to NC.

Brakes - NC is way better - surprisingly single disc is giving more confidence then two discs at Yamaha. Rear brake at Yamaha is very sluggish.

Very easy to ride, started feeling confident just after few miles of riding. 

Engine - smooth, gearbox - slick.

Display is very similar to NC. 

Conclusion: Good motorbike for someone upgrading from smaller bike, pointless for someone that already have NC or similar bike.

BTW, on Monday I have test ride on Tracer 900.

• Like 1

poldark
10 minutes ago, matt28 said:

BTW, on Monday I have test ride on Tracer 900.

I refer you Tex's earlier reply ........... enjoy!

• Like 1

SteveThackery
14 hours ago, matt28 said:

So, I'm after test ride. Done approx 80 miles through city/country roads, and around 20 miles on motorway, filtering for about 8 miles, as traffic was quite tense.

Tracer is slightly lower, but sitting position is very similar to NC.

Brakes - NC is way better - surprisingly single disc is giving more confidence then two discs at Yamaha. Rear brake at Yamaha is very sluggish.

Very easy to ride, started feeling confident just after few miles of riding. 

Engine - smooth, gearbox - slick.

Display is very similar to NC. 

Conclusion: Good motorbike for someone upgrading from smaller bike, pointless for someone that already have NC or similar bike.

You didn't mention performance.  From the road tests, the Tracer has way more acceleration.  An extra 20hp is a serious difference.

• Like 1

aldmannie
On 05/07/2017 at 18:04, matt28 said:

Brakes - NC is way better - surprisingly single disc is giving more confidence then two discs at Yamaha.

Possibly "feel" rather than measured retardation?

If it feels less effective just pull the lever harder, you can pull as hard as you like, it isn't going to lock...

steve-a

I am very pleased with my Tracer 900, although it is not really a replacement for the Integra, that is still being sought it is a good all rounder, not tried the 700, was a bit too budget for what I wanted.

slowboy
On 06/07/2017 at 08:37, SteveThackery said:

You didn't mention performance.  From the road tests, the Tracer has way more acceleration.  An extra 20hp is a serious difference.

'Tis true, but you have to work it harder to get at it. And that just looks like your trying too hard. Alright now and again, but gets a bit wearing after a while. Effortless torque is where it's at......man😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rocker66
22 minutes ago, slowboy said:

'Tis true, but you have to work it harder to get at it. And that just looks like your trying too hard. Alright now and again, but gets a bit wearing after a while. Effortless torque is where it's at......man😎

That's why I really liked the CB1300S loads of torque and once out of town you could virtually leave it in top if you wanted.

Tex
1 hour ago, slowboy said:

Effortless torque is where it's at......man😎

And for that you need big pistons - and lots of 'em! :D 

• Like 1

baben
22 minutes ago, Tex said:

And for that you need big pistons - and lots of 'em! :D 

You are describing Tigger! Effortless power from the first twist of the throttle. And still turn in 60mpg.....

• Like 2

Tex
32 minutes ago, baben said:

You are describing Tigger! Effortless power from the first twist of the throttle. And still turn in 60mpg.....

Yes, I do believe I had Tigger (and his brothers) in mind. :) 

Black Marauder

After owning the MT09 Tracer for 12mths, when it was in for a service tried the 700 Tracer & with the free "winter pack" & centre stand now available [non Yamaha] & "acceptable" price to change, ordered one & because of the service on the 900, the 1st service will be free ! DO I regret owning 2 [15] & [16] NC 750X .....NO not at all !! & in this sector 700/900 bikes it is good to have a selection of models to consider !!!

• Like 1

Defender

Glad to hear the good news, I've seen the Tracer 700 adverts and been slightly tempted, the heated grips and seat make it very attractive at this time of year.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it.

Black Marauder

Having owned the 700 Tracer for 2 mths  because of the weather etc, have managed just 300 miles!! I really was hoping to have done enough miles to have its 1st service [600 miles] but when the mileage increases I WILL give my opinion of ownership ! up to date averaged 68.5 mpg....still on 2nd fill up !

• Like 2

trisaki

Only thing I have heard on the grapevine  is the rear shock is worse than the nc depends obviously  on how you ride but probably one of the first things to change   

• Thanks 1

Black Marauder

It does seem bikes in this price bracket, somewhere in the budget/price certain components are "compromised" do you really get what you pay for ? & I personally do not EVER intend paying anything more than £8000 for a motorcycle....& then add all the extras like most of us do !!!

Ciaran1602

I adore the looks of the Tracer but being the seat height has me seriously worried. Short stacks like myself aren't exactly catered for in this market.

• Sad 1

Black Marauder

For my comparison [persons weight could be a factor] no real difference for me in putting both feet down [my inside leg 30"] really do not think Yamaha will ever do an Auto box version like Honda have done & possibly that's given Honda the advantage ! Servicing costs are very similar, but can depend on where you go & the area ! also averaging 72.3mpg so approx. 10mpg down on my NC 750x s & insurance is VERY similar [for me].

• Like 1