Wurth feeler gauges

TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman

embee mentioned getting some Wurth feeler gauges - the individual

ones. I've a pair of .15's and .30's from my BMW days but am after a pair of .20's and .25's 

Does anyone have a trade account with Wurth or know a shop around London that can supply?  I can't find anywhere online but then Google hate me. 

I'd like a set too if you want expressions of interest.

TheEnglishman

I'd prefer expressions of goods into the palm of my hand but every little helps.

:-)

• Like 1
Derek_Mac

Wurth do have an online shop in the UK, unfortunately it's trade only and they only sell the valve feeler gauges in multiples of five.

Maybe we could persuade trisaki (Mark) to register as a customer and then do a group buy for us?

Edited by Derek_Mac
punctuation
TheEnglishman

Yea.  Come on Mark, pull your finger out.  It's not like you to miss an opportunity....  ;-)

Dunnster

Count me in too if it helps get the order in. :thumbsup:

Derek_Mac
11 hours ago, TheEnglishman said:

Yea.  Come on Mark, pull your finger out.  It's not like you to miss an opportunity....  ;-)

Yeah, but somebody needs to ask him first though. :)

Guest sykospain

Please Mark, would you be interested in signing up with Würth UK as an account holder, then several members here can buy a set of the NC-specific coloured-handle single-thickness feelers ?

As you see from the previous posts here, you'd have guaranteed sales, and their aerosols of lube in various guises aren't much dearer than bog-standard stuff.  I'm lucky 'cos my local motor mechanic Vizcaino up in the village has an account with them and gets me chain-lube, etc. now and again.

Joeyjoejnr

I would also be up for this

Derek_Mac
45 minutes ago, Alibally said:

Yup, each feeler gauge is an individual tool with a colour coded handle and you can actually get the two feeler gauges need for the NC engine valve clearance checks.

TheEnglishman
1 hour ago, Alibally said:

Are the wurth ones special in any way?

Yep.  They're made by Wurth and have coloured handles.  

This is a classic 'want vs need' situation.  

Do i want them?  Absolutely!

Do I need them?  Absolutely not.

Capitalist decadance or what?   :afro:

• Like 1
SteveThackery
15 hours ago, Alibally said:

One reason not to is that Screwfix - for some absurd and astonishing reason - haven't bothered to list the sizes!  So you've no idea what precision they offer.

Really you need a set that will resolve to 0.02mm.  0.05mm is too big a jump.

Beware some of those on "that auction site" that are Metric/Imperial combined. Some of them have standard imperial sizes (i.e. integer values in thous) and the metric sizes are weird fractional numbers - just the equivalent metric measurement stamped onto an imperial gauge.  WTF?

I would stick to a metric-only set.  Amazon do a Trixes set with the following sizes:

0.02, 0.03, 0.04, 0.05, 0.06, 0.07, 0.08, 0.09, 0.1, 0.15. 0.2. 0.25, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.75, 1.0.

..for just £1.99.  I'm sure there will be others even better.

• Like 1
Tex

Just copied these sizes from an advert for 'top quality' feeler gauges..

"Super accurate, 12 Blade, Metric and Imperial Angled Tappet Gauge with 95mm long angled blades. All blades are hardened and polished for a longer life. Each feeler blade is marked with its size and folds into a polished steel case with thumbscrew. An invaluable feeler gauge set, designed for accurate precision work.

Metric - mm
0.203, 0.254, 0.305, 0.330, 0.356, 0.381, 0.406, 0.457, 0.483, 0.508, 0.635 and 0.660mm.
Imperial - inch
0.008, 0.010, 0.012, 0.013, 0.014, 0.015, 0.016, 0.018, 0.019, 0.020, 0.025, and 0.026".

Laugh! I nearly bought my own beer. :D 

• Like 1
SteveThackery
46 minutes ago, Tex said:

Metric - mm
0.203, 0.254, 0.305, 0.330, 0.356, 0.381, 0.406, 0.457, 0.483, 0.508, 0.635 and 0.660mm.
Imperial - inch
0.008, 0.010, 0.012, 0.013, 0.014, 0.015, 0.016, 0.018, 0.019, 0.020, 0.025, and 0.026".

Yes!  That's exactly what I was talking about.  

• Like 2
Guest Alibally

I’ve got a snap-on set I’ve had for years. I don’t use them very much now. It’s mostly hydraulic tappers on cars.

kayz1

What sizes are required please? i am sure the Lad has an account with werf:muttley: i can nip in tomorrow.and ask. If so how many are wanted?

Lyn. 

TheEnglishman

Hey!

They seem to come in packs of 5.

If I were you I'd get two packs of:

The theory is a .15 should nicely slide in the inlet gap while a .20 shouldn't fit.

The .25 should nicely slide in the exhaust gap while the .30 shouldn't fit.

Or something like that.  On my 1200GS you could let the allen key adjuster fall by gravity and it'd set the gap *just* right.  I haven't got the 'just so' feeling on this engine yet - it's more a case of suck it and see, then do it again...  Shims are so much easier from that POV - you just do the maths.  

And I've no idea how much they are.  But they're shiny and will be my precious gauges.  Precious!  Mine.  My precious!!!!

kayz1

Yes but you want be left with all the sizes nobody else wants.....:D and from my GS days i too still have a box with them in..they are not cheap:

Will call around to the garage in a while.

kayz1

Just been up to the lads garage, no go sorry. He says he stopped dealing with Wurth 18months ago as the prices just kept on rising, Rep was crap

and delivery costs were out of this world...Buys more stuff from Snapon now as even they are cheaper for most stuff.:shocked:

Lyn.

Guest sykospain

Individual calibrated feeler gauges ( galgas calibradas ) are available individually from the Würth Canarias ( islands off Africa's Western Coast owned by Spain ) online shop.

e.g.:-

http://www.wurth.es/galga-calibrada-0-15-mm

That's where I got mine, 'cos for doing the boxer's valves you need four, 2 whites and 2 yellows, since as you adjust one, the other one moves and so gives a wrong result.  Individual feeler gauges don't fall to the ground if you have each pair wired together.  Saves much cursing.

See Chris Harris's video, as the routine for doing this is almost applicable to the Honda motor's valve-setting routine. He'd only just got his new camera back then, and wasn't on top of its auto-focus system, hence the fuzziness.

It's not 'cos you've had too many Amstels.

TheEnglishman

Yea - we know the procedure - all we want is the tools!  In the UK Wurth only supply to trade accounts.  

Why not contact Wurth and ask? If they are not willing to sell directly ask for details of an approved seller in the UK.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Joeyjoejnr

No update or recommendations on this lads?

Guest bonekicker

The idea of separate gauges was--the old mechanics would set  tappets whist engine was running--and so they got a little chewed up--so rather than use a set --and only used a 3rd of the gauges --they used these separates :thumbsup: