NC750X dct snatching gears, badly

Guest Girth

SteveThackery
23 minutes ago, Tex said:

Anyone actually 'know' rather than guess?

You mean you want to go against 25 years of Internet tradition??  :shocked:

• Like 6
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• SteveThackery

• Tex

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mean you want to go against 25 years of Internet tradition??  

What utter incompetence on the part of the tech, or more likely deliberate bullshit.  He must think you are stupid to try that ridiculous 'S1' argument - how rude it that?  F***ing wanker.  

Codswallop! Utter tosh! You want to know about reliability ask a roadside patrolman (in whatever colour uniform you choose) they will 100% tell you you're talking out of your arse.

Know rather than guess. In 2007 I bought a new Hornet. It made a strange tapping noise when accelerating. A bit like when you flick a ruler  on your school bench. Took it to two Honda dealers to trace fault. They both tried but failed to do so. I rang Honda customer services who to be honest were no help. They assured me the bike was safe even though nobody had any idea what was wrong. I am no shrinking violet and made it very clear this was not acceptable. They  just kept telling to let the supplying dealer try again. It was seriously infuriating.. I told my wife the story. She rang Honda and told them that if her husband was injured or killed on the machine and it was proved to be due to the bike being faulty, she would go after the person she was talking to personally, in a law claim way obviously not with a claw hammer. I had a new bike 3 days later. I believe the original bike was returned to Honda for investigation . The supplying dealer , Hartgate, did not seem bothered about the replacement so I do not believe it cost them any money. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
larryblag
On 08/07/2017 at 08:12, Rocker66 said:

Then go to a dealer where you get good service. It seems from posts on here that there are plenty out there. The bad ones would soon disappear if everybody did that rather than just moan all time.I'm sure other makers dealers have their problems as well.   It seems many people want to pay as little as possible and yet still expect top class  services.

If I was as unhappy with Honda as you always appear to be I would buy something else.

A good and trusted independant trumps a poor dealer imho 

Rocker66
1 hour ago, larryblag said:

A good and trusted independant trumps a poor dealer imho 

Did I say otherwise but I would still prefer a good official dealer every time.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
wingrider.steve

Hi Garth,

Any progress in getting this sorted out?

SteveThackery
On 08/07/2017 at 10:14, aldmannie said:

Honda have a long history of rushing new bike models to market before they're fully tested and letting new owners do the final testing.

But the NC isn't by any means a "new" model.

Guest aldmannie
23 minutes ago, SteveThackery said:

But the NC isn't by any means a "new" model.

Ah the old selective quote thing.

Please read the whole post, the bit you've quoted is my elaboration on an assertion I  made that Honda's reliability reputation is a myth.

(I stand by this, Honda have had some horrendous issues with new models)

It is not a comment on the NC range in 2017.

http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/15742-nc750x-dct-snatching-gears-badly/&do=findComment&comment=199035

commuter

So getting back to the original post,  would the conclusion be that someone at the Honda dealer took it upon themselves to install the wrong grade of oil and this is what is causes very similar issues to those described by Girth? I guess that access to manufacturer training , special analysis equipment and special tools doesnt guarantee that the person who one trusts to work on their bike actually knows what they are doing.

SteveThackery
7 hours ago, aldmannie said:

Ah the old selective quote thing.

Please read the whole post, the bit you've quoted is my elaboration on an assertion I  made that Honda's reliability reputation is a myth.

(I stand by this, Honda have had some horrendous issues with new models)

It is not a comment on the NC range in 2017.

http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/15742-nc750x-dct-snatching-gears-badly/&do=findComment&comment=199035

I'm puzzled - your response was in reply to bonekicker implying that even long-running models from Honda are "not so reliable".

Anyway, doesn't matter.  We all know what we mean now.

SteveThackery
8 minutes ago, commuter said:

So getting back to the original post,  would the conclusion be that someone at the Honda dealer took it upon themselves to install the wrong grade of oil and this is what is causes very similar issues to those described by Girth? I guess that access to manufacturer training , special analysis equipment and special tools doesnt guarantee that the person who one trusts to work on their bike actually knows what they are doing.

When I was in a Honda dealer a few months ago, asking about getting my bike serviced, he said "We use this in all our bikes" - pointing at a can of Honda 10W-40.  The oil specified for the DCT models is 10W-30.

Of course he may not have meant that particular oil, but Honda-branded oil in general.

I do know, though, that the DCT has a temperature sensor in the oil so it can allow for changes in oil viscosity when actuating the clutches.  In theory, if the oil is thicker than it "expects" it might make for jerky changes.

But of course this is just speculation - I haven't experimented with the different oils under controlled conditions.

Back to your original point: I'm afraid I am very sceptical about the quality of technicians even in main dealer workshops.  It seems very variable.

Guest aldmannie
17 minutes ago, SteveThackery said:

I'm puzzled - your response was in reply to bonekicker implying that even long-running models from Honda are "not so reliable".

Anyway, doesn't matter.  We all know what we mean now.

Apologies for any confusion caused. :)

• 8 months later...
SlasherMCT

I went to buy a used 2016 NC750X last Friday from a non Honda dealer. 4K mileage. Bike looked ok, pretty clean and I was shocked when I rode it. Big clunk when selecting drive, and the gear changes were really snatch, I could change gear better myself if there was a clutch. 

I tested a low mileage 2014 S service bike the week before and then rode the first 35 miles on a 2018 X. Both bikes had impeccable gear changing. I could not feel shifting at all under varying power loads, up or down. Only a slight click when engaging drive. 

Naturally I didn’t buy the bike.   Will get one from a dealer now. 

Guest machinman

Quite unusual, the clonk in to drive is normal, as gor the snatchiness elsewhere id suspect a knackered chain.

Well done for walking away.

embee

Worth doing the DCT clutch initialisation procedure now and again so the system keeps "up to date" with how they are engaging. I doubt it ever gets done routinely by dealers, and anyone other than a Honda dealer probably doesn't even know about it. It made a very significant improvement to mine the first time I did it, since then only very minor effect (as you might hope).

Apologies if it's been discussed earlier in this thread, I couldn't be bothered to search through it.

• Like 2
SlasherMCT

I passed the reset procedure onto the (non-honda) dealer offering me the bike last week and I have noted it down as I am now waiting for a new 2017 spec NC750X to be built.

• Like 1
neojynx

Its not cheap but I always use Castrol 14F23C Power 1 Racing Engine Oil 10W-30 4T in my DCT,  never had an issue.  In my BMW on the other hand, cheapest oil I can find.  

• Like 1