NC750X dct snatching gears, badly

Guest Girth

embee
On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 09:45, Girth said:

Hi all again,

I've decided to go down the rejection route, especially as it's less than 30 days old, with a view for a replacement. Just waiting for Honda head office to contact me to start proceedings.

I wouldn't usually take this view but in this instance I think you're completely justified in this, that's what the law is there for. You've paid a lot of dosh for a product which is clearly not working correctly and a "simple" fix hasn't sorted it. Don't get talked out of it (I'd bet they'll try), stand your ground, it's the dealer's/Honda's problem what to do with the bike, the law is on your side. Sorry to hear of the troubles, it's extremely unusual (all the more reason to reject it).

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• SteveThackery

• Tex

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mean you want to go against 25 years of Internet tradition??  

What utter incompetence on the part of the tech, or more likely deliberate bullshit.  He must think you are stupid to try that ridiculous 'S1' argument - how rude it that?  F***ing wanker.  

Codswallop! Utter tosh! You want to know about reliability ask a roadside patrolman (in whatever colour uniform you choose) they will 100% tell you you're talking out of your arse.

Rocker66

Probably best to put your rejection in writing with your reasons why clearly dated then if the worse comes to the worse and the legal guys get involved you have proof of when you rejected the bike. Legal people love evidence on paper.

• Like 2
Guest sykospain

The oil used in a DCT bike must be exactly and only the type, brand and viscosity range specified clearly in the Rider's Handbook.  Absolutely nothing else will do for correct DCT operation.

But ¿ wasn't there a thread on here a year ago about a failed weld at the head of a crucial internal bolt somewhere in the twin-clutch engagement assembly ?  Somebody posted a grab from the parts manual showing - IIRC - "Item 6".

A rare failure but which completely screwed up the DCT.

Could that be it ?

Guest Mac750

All the more reason to reject the machine. Girth should now return the machine along with all documentation, keys and a registered letter of rejection. 

The dealer can then decide if to refund in full, or offer a like for like exact replacement less a small reduction for wear and tare (if a lot of milage had been put on the bike which it hasn't) . 

If Girth follows the all of the above, the dealer must abide by the consumer act 2015. What's more the dealer knows this act back to front and by doing the above with the registered letter he also knows you also know your rights under the law.

1 hour ago, sykospain said:

But ¿ wasn't there a thread on here a year ago about a failed weld at the head of a crucial internal bolt somewhere in the twin-clutch engagement assembly ?  Somebody posted a grab from the parts manual showing - IIRC - "Item 6".

A rare failure but which completely screwed up the DCT.

Could that be it ?

Alan, the failure you're thinking of only affected a number of 700cc models. There's been no recorded failure (that I know of) on the later, 750cc machines.

Murray (Embee) has taken the precaution of changing his on the grounds that he would rather do so in his workshop than halfway up a mountain. I want to be like him when (if!) I grow up.. 

• Like 3

I grew up once. ....... I didn't like it 😎😎😎

• Like 3
trisaki

No fun when you grow up 

• Like 1
SteveThackery
18 hours ago, Tex said:

Murray (Embee) ...... I want to be like him when (if!) I grow up.. 

Me too.  Embee's my hero and role model.  (He'll be all embarrassed now :dielaugh:)

• Like 1
Guest Girth

Quick update, Still waiting for Honda customer support to call me back, despite my daily harassment and their 72 hour SLA passing on Tuesday.

Speaking with the Honda Finance, they've had more luck than I, and they're happy with rejection as it's been in once and an attempted fix has been made. I just need to know where the bike needs to go for inspection, local or original dealership (think it'll be the original dealership)

I am waiting for the "We have an ex-demo with only 200miles on the clock" call. After the way I treated the demo bike :angel:, I don't ever want an ex-demo bike. Can't wait to be back on two wheels, I hate trains. Well, to be more precise, I hate people

Edited by Girth
Fat fingers

What an absolutely nightmarish pain in the backside for you. Where is the bike now? I'm watching the thread with interest, I don't know anyone who has been forced to reject a bike before. 

On the AT forum a guy had similar issues and it looks like it was a defective spark plug cap arcing back to the bike. I suppose with huge volkages being splashed around it may well have caused the ECU/Sensors etc to get confusing messages and fall over. Just a thought.

• Like 1
Guest Girth

Hey Tex, It's in my garage at the moment, and has been for the last week. Just waiting to be told where it needs to go. I'm going with I've been really unlucky, and the replacement bike will be fine.

Guest machinman
4 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

Me too.  Embee's my hero and role model.  (He'll be all embarrassed now :dielaugh:)

Joking apart, his technical knowledge is staggering🎓

Guest Girth

Well, just chased Honda Customer support again, turns out the person assigned my rejection case had buggered off on leave.

The lady was very apologetic, as I was understandably rather hacked off. Been offered a courtesy car (which is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike, 30min commute would become 90) and will be finding out when, where and how my bike is going to be recovered.

This should have been sorted nearly a week ago. In some ways it makes me want to get a full refund and buy elsewhere, but that really would be cutting the nose off to spite the face.

Guest Girth
48 minutes ago, Girth said:

Well, just chased Honda Customer support again, turns out the person assigned my rejection case had buggered off on leave.

The lady was very apologetic, as I was understandably rather hacked off. Been offered a courtesy car (which is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike, 30min commute would become 90) and will be finding out when, where and how my bike is going to be recovered.

This should have been sorted nearly a week ago. In some ways it makes me want to get a full refund and buy elsewhere, but that really would be cutting the nose off to spite the face.

Bike is finally being booked in to be recovered at Honda's expense, and should be getting a loan bike on Wednesday as well

Guest Girth

Well, this loan/demo bike with 1200 miles of abuse rides so much better than the one recovered, which, according to the dealership rides fine.

That's when the fobbing off started, did you know you are meant to ride in at least Sport 1 mode, he couldn't answer why would Honda put Drive mode on it then? After mentioning I took it out the morning it was recovered, and it was most definitely doing it, and that its night and day between my bike and the loan bike, he's going to put another "good 20+ miles" on it.

Now, if they have reset the gearbox ecu, it will ride fine for a short while, but they are not allowed to attempt repair, only confirm/diagnose the fault

Honda Customer support weren't exactly much use either, but they are going to confirm with Honda tech why the Drive mode exists when you are meant to be in Sports mode.

Got a feeling this is going to be a bloody fight, and buying else where is getting more tempting

Edited by Girth
Rocker66
54 minutes ago, Girth said:

Well, this loan/demo bike with 1200 miles of abuse rides so much better than the one recovered, which, according to the dealership rides fine.

That's when the fobbing off started, did you know you are meant to ride in at least Sport 1 mode, he couldn't answer why would Honda put Drive mode on it then? After mentioning I took it out the morning it was recovered, and it was most definitely doing it, and that its night and day between my bike and the loan bike, he's going to put another "good 20+ miles" on it.

Now, if they have reset the gearbox ecu, it will ride fine for a short while, but they are not allowed to attempt repair, only confirm/diagnose the fault

Honda Customer support weren't exactly much use either, but they are going to confirm with Honda tech why the Drive mode exists when you are meant to be in Sports mode.

Got a feeling this is going to be a bloody fight, and buying else where is getting more tempting

Sadly it looks like you may have to go the legal route. Make sure you put everything in writing and copy any emails.

• Like 3

First rule in trying to solve a problem - try and deny there is a problem. And even if there is, it's somehow the customer's fault! Gawd 'elp us.. :( 

I would write to the dealer and say (in effect, don't use these words.. :D ) "Look, legally you have to give me a re-fund. If you don't **** me about I may well spend that re-fund in your shop. If you carry on the way you are, I'm off!" And send a copy to customer services at H.U.K.

• Like 3
SteveThackery
3 hours ago, Girth said:

What utter incompetence on the part of the tech, or more likely deliberate bullshit.  He must think you are stupid to try that ridiculous 'S1' argument - how rude it that?  F***ing wanker.

This is an appalling story!

Edited by SteveThackery
  • Like 5
Andy m

Clucking Bell, I was looking forward to a happy ending and now they've gone all BMW. Keep going Girth, you'll win in the end. A few quotes from the Consumer Rights Act may concentrate minds. 

The Enfield is currently part of a claim, but rideable and as I have low expectations on customer service I doubt I will be disapointed. The old boy is in the process of buying a bike off the dealer, which I have been shamelessly playing on.

At the risk of re-starting the OT bit, Triumph India will be exporting back to the UK from 2018. You'll still be able to have green paint and Union Jack stickers though.

Andy

Guest sykospain

Girth - have you yet told us the name of this arsehole dealer ?  Surely we should know, for posting in the Welcome and NC Topics pages, so people will avoid the place like a plague.

Hope you get a result without having to resort to shouting and ( spit ) lawyers.

Guest Girth

@sykospain For now I have left out these details on purpose, at least till it's resolved.

After having the loan bike for nearly a week, loving commuting on the nc750x again. Although where it's just been sat outside in the sun for the last 5 months, it really could do with a new front tire, it's not great in the wet lol

Finally seem to be getting some traction on the case now, after chasing and not hearing anything back since Thursday till today.

Honda Customer Support phoned to say the Dealership had conducted a back to back test with another new nc750x dct and noted the gear changes are slightly rougher. I said that was a bit of an understatement. They are completing a fault report with Honda tech and will get back to me. Was very apologetic (gets boring after a while) and interested in what I will want out of a successful rejection, and has asked the dealers to keep me up to date far more often.

After getting off the phone, had a voicemail from the Dealers stating the back to back test and in his words "the gear changes are a lot rougher", fault report etc...

So hopefully in the near future this will be resolved, in my favor, but it should have been at this point a long time ago.

embee

Sounds like it's moving in the right direction.

• Like 1
Guest sykospain

Yes but, yes but...

It's still less than satisfactory Customer Service from both the unnamed dealer and Honda UK.

You paid good money and have been completely p*ssed-about by both.

I have absolutely no idea how 'rejection' works. Obviously the purchaser gets his money back, but who takes the 'hit'? Is it the dealer? Don't see why it should be, not his fault. Can he return the machine to Honda UK and get his money back?

Plainly the machine (even if fully repaired) can never again be 'new' and can only be sold on as 'used'. Anyone actually 'know' rather than guess?

• Like 2