HELP! broken down. Gear slipping

Guest Rufio

Guest Rufio

So I'm coming back from crowborough by boulner. As some of you know I helped tow a mgb but now gear is just slipping. Is this an expensive job to get fixed? 

More details required. What, exactly, happens when you try and pull away? Lots of revs and no forward movement? You've burnt your clutch out. Tell your dad you're going to send him the bill. :)

• Like 1
Guest Rufio

Yeah lol. No momentum. Reving and just slipping. Can't get up a hill... ironic helping a car up a drive and bow I can't get up a hill lol. Even on a flat I rev and just dosnt move. How much do you reckon the damage is lol.

It's not a very hard job. But I genuinely have no idea on costs. Sorry.

• Like 1
trisaki

Have you  got any free play up at the clutch lever - possible  new friction  plates needed   - do you need picking up ? 

• Like 1
PoppetM

That's a sad photo. Really hope you two got home ok and the damage isn't too bad x

• Like 1

Tell the recovery driver he has to sing 'Proud Mary' all the way home! :D 

PoppetM
29 minutes ago, Rufio said:

To be honest the truck is awesome. Has 4 seats in the back and massive cabin inside.

True petrolhead to be excited about the truck you are being loaded on to! 

Only once I was loaded on to a low loader and my only concern was how the hell I was going to manoeuvre the car with no power assisted steering into a tight space. 

The follwing time a low loader appeared to my driveway it was met with my tears as I felt the gravitas of my husband's car accident with full force. He was fine but looking at the vehicle we all questioned how he got out.

It was a relief when the insurers picked it up and got rid of it. 

Safe journey Rufio and Mrs Rufio

• Like 3
Rocker66

Got a puncture when I went to leave work in Tonbridge late one night and the RAC sent out a guy with a huge American truck. It was covered in lights which made it look like something from a fairground and when I climbed into the cab I felt as though I should be wearing an oxygen mask😊 It was an interesting experiance but as it was left hand drive I was sitting on the off side which for someone who is not keen on riding in cars at the best of times was a bit unnerving when we overtook Anyang.

• Like 5
Guest Mac750

When the sump plug fell out of my Honda and dumped it's oil on the tarmac The recovery company sent a local recovery van to collect me. A small Peugeot van turned up " that's no good mate we won't get the PC 800 in the back of that." He just smiled opened the back doors and used a hand held controller. This big yellow thing got out of the back of the van by its self laid it's self on the floor and all he did was pop two small wheels on the stub axels. Then it winched my heavy bike into its back and he tied the bike off with three rachet straps and we was ready to go. It was like something from Transformers. 

Rockers story reminded me of when we was thinking of renting the house out and Mrs Mac and I was going to go travelling. As it would be mostly on the continent I bought a LHD American RV it was 8feet wide and 32 feet long. First time I took it out on the local lanes where we live , Mrs Mac unbuckled her seat belt and went to the back of the coach and sat on the bed. I must admit I use to be a bus driver but that RV was far too big for Cornish roads. It was a bit tight in places. 

We never got to go abroad so the Chevy got sold within nine months. Luckily I didn't lose any money on it. Mrs Mac wouldn't sit in the passenger's seat it petrified her when a lorry came in the opposite direction.  😁

Guest Rufio
9 hours ago, Mac750 said:

When the sump plug fell out of my Honda and dumped it's oil on the tarmac The recovery company sent a local recovery van to collect me. A small Peugeot van turned up " that's no good mate we won't get the PC 800 in the back of that." He just smiled opened the back doors and used a hand held controller. This big yellow thing got out of the back of the van by its self laid it's self on the floor and all he did was pop two small wheels on the stub axels. Then it winched my heavy bike into its back and he tied the bike off with three rachet straps and we was ready to go. It was like something from Transformers.

I thought the same. I was thinking great we will have to wait for another truck to tow. He opened his boot and this transformed out.

20170715_193621-1328x747.jpg

Sad news, but on the bright side, I guess you should be thankful it isn't a DCT.

I hope you get it sorted soon

Guest Rufio
6 hours ago, CFB said:

Sad news, but on the bright side, I guess you should be thankful it isn't a DCT.

I hope you get it sorted soon

Yeah not a problem to get fixed. I take it DCT is more expensive.

Guest Mac750

If you go after market plates like EBC or something like that don't be tempted to buy the " extra strong " springs as a kit. Yours won't be worn out,  I fitted some to my bike as it was on 45k and I thought it would need them.

Once fitted I could hear a "creek" when I pulled in the now very strong lever. ???

So I took off the clutch cover and watched as the lever was pulled, when the pressure plate moved in the basket it was very slightly bending hence the noise. So the old ones got put back in and it then worked fine.  (Total time to do the job was just over 2 hours , plus it also got a new oil and filter whilst I was at it. )

You shouldn't have to remove the basket but if you do please buy a clutch basket holding tool, EBC sell them through people like WeMoto or Busters, don't be tempted to wedge it with a screw driver for it will snap a basket tang off. If for any reason you have to remove a clutch basket and it's on " kin tight" don't be tempted to have at it with a windy gun take the whole bike down to a Honda or motorcycle garage and ask them to undo the holding nut for you. 

I mentioned all this to my neighbour when he was doing his Trophy 900. But he didn't listen and pilled in with his trusty hammer and assorted large screw drivers snapped a basket tang off and butchered the holding nut and its shaft which resulted in more work to replace the damaged parts.  All good clean fun. 

4 hours ago, Rufio said:

Yeah not a problem to get fixed. I take it DCT is more expensive.

👍

More complicated usually means more expensive. Two clutches = at least double the cost, or more if Mr Honda has his way.

Well, Rufio's manner is a model of how to behave in a crisis. So laid back. Not an expletive or feather spat anywhere. I salute you. Now if that had of been me ...........

• Like 6
Guest Mac750

A young lady in the high street yesterday pulling her small boy along,  her plastic shopping bag caught a litter bin and two items fell out, so she swung around and bawled the little boy out worse than a Sgt Major , jeffin and effin. Little boy just stood waiting obviously use to it. 

I grew up in a different age and was taught men didn't swear in front of women or kids. Never spit in the street, or raise a hand in anger to a woman. 

When I met Mrs Mac she wouldn't go into a public house on her own. 

Different days. Nice to see Rufios is a gentleman. 

Defender

How things have changed, when I had to have a bike recovered many years ago, I had to sit on it whilst it was winched on the back of the recovery truck, it was a bit scary and the floor of the load bed was quite slippery.

The front wheel carriage is a much better idea, takes away the danger of a topple over, the much lambasted Health and Safety advances have made an improvement there in my opinion.

• Like 3
PoppetM
5 hours ago, pjm said:

Well, Rufio's manner is a model of how to behave in a crisis. So laid back. Not an expletive or feather spat anywhere. I salute you. Now if that had of been me ...........

Too busy filming the "adventure" :) 

• Like 2
Guest bonekicker

I have to say after watching a few of Sir Rufio's videos--what a really nice lad he seems to be--I love his accent--I know it's not proper English--but never mind that--Thanks Rufio for taking the time to share with us your interesting videos -- all the very best to you--and family of course. :thumbsup: