12 month service

Guest Dledgy

Hard to believe.  My chain wore out at about 13,500 km.. For a chain to wear out that fast out would have to been defective or extremely badly adjusted/aligned from day one. 

Edited by chris
24 minutes ago, Dledgy said:

Hi folks just had my 12 month service, only done 2100 miles , they recommend chain and sprockets renewal can't be right can it.

What?! I would insist on dealer changing them under warranty. I expect 15,000m minimum...more if pampered with an automatic oiler

Bart Stilgo

2500 Miles and looks like new.  Cant even adjust it yet.

baben

They are taking the mick. If the chain is shagged at that mileage then it needs replacing under warranty. If they say otherwise find another dealer and let Mr Honda san know what they are up to.

Tonyj

Can't be your fault unless you left the chain to go rusty but the sprockets would be alright . Think it's pants down time :0).

not fit for purpose my old mate , tell him to claim off honda 

sullspots

I hadn't even adjusted mine until a few weeks after the first yearly service at 5500 miles.

Pull the chain right at the back of the rear sprocket and if it comes away by more than a couple of mm it could be shagged but even if not it could still have terminal tight spots so check tightness in several places.Could be a case of dealer taking the p*ss once again,do you visit santa pod regularly!!

Edited by sullspots
typo

There was another chap told he needed a new chain on his first (600 miles) service I seem to recall. Honda UK asked the dealer for a video of the chain. Anyone remember if we ever got told the outcome?

arengle

in the bike manual it's show how the chain and sprocket must looks if is still in good condition, have a look there

Guest Mac750

If they have not yet done the work take the bike to another Honda dealer and ask if they could come outside and have a quick look don't tell them why.

If they say all is good take a picture of the C&S and report dealer 1 to Honda customer services then use dealer 2.

If dealer 2 says yes it's jaffed get it replaced under warranty, as at just 600 miles is not fit for use from manufacture (unless you are a pro drag racer of course).

If dealer 1 has already done the job ether ask them to report it to Honda as a warranty claim and/or ask for the old parts back for "independent inspection" .

You are entitled to retrieve the removed parts, a C&S set should last under normal use and even oiled only occasionally thousands of miles not 600.  

Also if dealer 1 PDI the bike from the outset and the C&S need replacing after just 600 miles that smacks of miss alignment of the rear wheel chain run.

Ether way I smell the aroma of Bull.🐂

I would be kicking up a fuss. 

Good luck, ask more questions.

( Mine has done 3,500 miles and not even needed adjustment yet, Loobman chain oiler fitted ).

Guest Dledgy

Hi everyone thanks for the comments, because the dealer who did my service is 35 mile round trip i sent a email to honda to complain about the naff advice and they have asked for my details and the name of the dealer so they can investigate the problem i will keep the forum informed. :flowers:

Slowboy

David, a bit late, but my first chain on a NC700X (with Tutoro chain oiler fitted) lasted over 22,000 miles. Even then the chain wasn't too bad, but the front sprocket was throughly worn out, so I replaced the lot, having felt I'd had my monies worth.

Guest sykospain

Dledgy - do you tend to do a lot of 200 meter wheelies on the motorway as part of your normal daily riding ?  Burnouts too ?  Those are the only reasons why a 2,100 mile Honda NC OEM chain and sprocket would need replacing....

alhendo1
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 23:03, Tex said:

There was another chap told he needed a new chain on his first (600 miles) service I seem to recall. Honda UK asked the dealer for a video of the chain. Anyone remember if we ever got told the outcome?

Hi folks. Sorry to kind of hijack this thread here but that was me. The outcome from the dealer taking the video/measurements  and sending them to Honda technical department was that they (Honda) "felt that the chain adjustment was within the parameters." The dealer said that their hands are tied as to a warranty replacement until Honda authorise it. They advised me to monitor the chain closely and if it starts to stretch or wear unduly to get back in touch with them and they will take it up with Honda again. 

I've been working away from home a lot recently so haven't put a huge amount of miles on the bike so will monitor it accordingly. The bike is going in to my local Honda dealers a week on Friday to have another issue which has surfaced looked at and I'll ask them for their opinion then. The bottom line is that low mileage like the op has done is unacceptable for a chain to go unless it has been neglected so my advice to the op would be to complain....it's not fair wear and tear. ...

Edited by alhendo1
  • Like 1

Had to have a new chain at 8k service, not honda garage an independant. I did have oiler on from new. Non oem doing much better another 8k and looking good!