Dunnster

I will be needing new brake pads soon for a 2012 NC 700x manual

HONDA OEM front pads part number 06455-MGS-D81 £29.35

HONDA OEM rear pads part number 06435-MEJ-061.   £32.17

Could someone tell me if,

EBC FA196 front pads £15.31

.     EBC FA174 rear pads £15.31

Are correct replacements, please? 

I havent got got any issues with the OEM pads except the price. 

Guest bonekicker

Will the brakes start working do you think when changing disk pads? mine are still poor--the back especially--sorry cant answer your question--Mike I did answer it --but with another question--sorry  :frantics:

Guest Skittkes

I have exactly the same bike and funnily enough I changed the brake pads on mine yesterday.

I used Front - EBC FA388HH.

Back - EBC FA174HH.

I haven't had a chance to run the new pads properly but I was very happy with the EBC HH on my blackbird so hopefully should be good enough on the NC.

ste7ios

EBC FA388 or FA388HH, FA174 or FA174HH are the right pads according to EBC's product catalogue for NC700XA/XD (2012).

HH = Double sintered, exactly like OEM pads.

Don't forget to refit OEM shim on the front.

FA388HH & FA174HH is what I'm using now. I can't tell if there is any difference with the OEM pads.

Bedding in: https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/motorcycle-bed-in/

• Like 2
Tonyj
6 hours ago, bonekicker said:

Will the brakes start working do you think when changing disk pads? mine are still poor--the back especially--sorry cant answer your question--Mike I did answer it --but with another question--sorry  :frantics:

sure you aint coated it in WD40 ? , mines good as

• Like 2
Tonyj

is it just the cost that deter you from buying oem products ?

i was chatting with a mechanic for honda and he said that the prices have been reduced so making them a better proposition when time comes around and these are matched to wear evenly . disc to pad ratio. i tend to stick with oem myself

Guest sykospain

Mike in Preston - we may have gone over this before about poor rear brake performance.  Whilst other riders like me think their rear brake is perfectly adequate and in some cases outstandingly good at droppng the rear end of the bike.

Wasn't there a batch of 700 or 750 bikes sent out from the line in Japan with mis-aligned calipers such that only a part of the pads was making full contact with the disk ? ?  Didn't somebody say that it was an easy fix with a judiciously-chosen spacer on one of the bolts ?

Edited by sykospain
Dunnster
2 hours ago, Tonyj said:

is it just the cost that deter you from buying oem products ?

Thanks for the replies folks. 

I haven't got a problem with the stopping power of the OEM pads,  but yes to the cost, if a pair by a reputable manufacturer is of the same quality and does the same job, why pay extra? If the price of the OEM's were nearer the cost of the EBC's then fair enough, but more than twice the price! 

I use OEM oil & air filters as the price isn't much different. 

4 hours ago, ste7ios said:

EBC FA388 or FA388HH, FA174 or FA174HH are the right pads according to EBC's product catalogue for NC700XA/XD (2012).

HH = Double sintered, exactly like OEM pads.

Don't forget to refit OEM shim on the front.

FA388HH & FA174HH is what I'm using now. I can't tell if there is any difference with the OEM pads.

Bedding in: https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/motorcycle-bed-in/

Interesting Ste7ios! 

I didn't think the OEM's were double sintered. Just checked and the HH version are 3 pence cheaper! :drool:

9 hours ago, bonekicker said:

Like I said Boney, I find the brakes work perfectly for me, front and rear. 

Thanks again for the replies, people, much appreciated  :thumbsup:

Derek_Mac

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere recently that HH pads are harder on your disks than the OEM ones.

• Like 2
Guest bonekicker

Alan in Sunny Spain-- Being old takes it's toll--remembering is one of them--so saying we have gone over all this before is not relevant to us older members--or is it--sorry you missed the answer to your rear brake problem--but that's that!!! You will be old one day--it's no joke--and the young up and coming star posters will exclude you as well--Yes we will see--Oh yes they will--ok--wait and see. :badmood:

ste7ios

The OEM is Nissin TOYOS20AHH.

HH is double sintered.

• Like 2
Grumpy old man

I'm sure the rear on my 750x are organic

Dunnster
6 hours ago, bonekicker said:

But Dunnster you are supposed to come up with a solution for me--being cleverer than me !!! :whistle:

I doubt very much I'm cleverer than you! 

Dunnster
5 hours ago, ste7ios said:

The OEM is Nissin TOYOS20AHH.

HH is double sintered.

5 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

I'm sure the rear on my 750x are organic

I had suspicions that the front was semi sintered and rear was organic. 

Hence the surprise when ste7ios, mentioned HH. I am not for one minute doubting Ste7ios, by the way. But with people mentioning the weak rear brake, just wondered if it could be organic. 

Anyway, all I want is OEM equivalent pads, but at a more reasonable price, as I have no issues with stopping power of OEM pads. :yes:

What is a genuine OEM part number for NC750X brake pads?

ste7ios

750s have different brake pads (smaller) in the front because of the combined ABS removal (one less piston)... We're talking about 700XA/XD here.

Dunnster
13 hours ago, matt28 said:

What is a genuine OEM part number for NC750X brake pads?

NC750X OEM brake pad part numbers. 

Front 06455-MGS-D32

Rear  06435-MGS-D32

Edited by Dunnster
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Dunnster said:

NC750X OEM brake pad part numbers. 

Front 06455-MGS-D32

Rear  06435-MGS-D32

Much appreciated

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest DelBoy

I wouldnt fit OEM pads..

Unless you really want to spend twice as much for poor braking performance and poor longevity.

EBC X pads are the way forward, now have much better braking in both dry and wet. AND they were half the price that the Main Stealer wanted for OEM pads .

• 3 weeks later...
Rednc750se

Ebc sintered HH are super pads and I have no problem with them. Just be sure they are genuine EBC.

commuter

As far as I can tell, brake discs used to wear out far less frequently and pads used to wear out more frequently. This never bothered me in the slightest because i always used to replace the pads in autumn so that the brake pistons always spent their winters safely inside the calipers where there was no salt and grit.

Nowadays, in order to satisfy the ever increasing demand for higher brake performance, both pads and discs wear out quite quickly. I guess this is because pads  have to conduct away more heat as do discs.Energy has to be dissipated somewhere! I always thought that the Buell solution to the problem was the most elegant. Fit huge diameter discs to the rim of the wheels thereby increasing cooling capacity whilst reducing overall disc wear. I guess that Eric Buell must have copyrighted his solution since others haven't copied it.

My current riding style includes leaving big gaps to the vehicle in front and only braking as gently as possible rather than rolling up to the line and slamming everything on at the last minute. I still don't wear brakes out very quickly and my tyres seem to last longer too. Let's face it, most of us weigh anchor with the bike in an upright position;  is it therefore any wonder that we square off tyres so easily? I reckon that braking and accelerating is where we lose rubber and most of us carry out these operations with the bike upright.

To be able to tell the difference between one type of pad/ disc set up and another one has to ride at the limits of the braking system in use. I spend most of my time trying to stay away from those limits and really wouldn't have a clue as to which pads work the best. To me, cheapest is always best because then I can afford more petrol! ha ha!:devil:

Mr Toad

Just seen this thread pop up in new posts and thought I'd add my comments on brakes.

I've only just bought an NC750X  to add to the Bonneville T100 I already have. When I first got the Bonneville I instantly fell in love with the bike but felt that the braking performance was less than ideal and not what I'd been used to on previous bikes. I felt the Bonnie was fine for everyday riding but didn't trust it to pull up quickly in an emergency and the back brake was all but useless. My initial thoughts after a couple of hundred miles on the NC750X was that the brakes are better than the Bonneville were but still not as good as they could be.

At first I thought it might be that the pads were coated with oil or polish, the previous owner kept the bike in his house and spent more on polish than petrol. It's an 09 and when I bought it last year it only had 4000 miles on the clock. After doing some research though the general consensus was that the OEM pads weren't as good as the could or should be.

I swapped them out for EBC HH pads and the braking was transformed. I can stop quickly and the back brake now works properly.

I shall be swapping the pads on the NC to EBC HH as soon as I can get some ordered and have a couple of hours free and fully expect the current braking to performance to improve greatly and they cost less than the OEM pads.

I know there are people who firmly believe that they should only use OEM parts, that Honda only fitted the best parts to the bikes they design and build but you have to remember they are a business and all about the profit. Ignoring the price difference, OEM parts pricing for any manufacturer is also about maximising profit, Honda had another consideration in mind. They could stop you really quickly but then there'd be queues of people complaining about brake pads wearing out too quickly, ignoring the excellent stopping ability and complaining they were making their pads from cheap materials and expecting their pads to last years. 

I know that the EBC pads will wear quicker than the OEM pads but I'd rather have the improved braking and change them more often. Being cheaper is just a bonus.