Oil quantity?

ncmf

Rev Ken

Just covered 1,000 miles on my NC700X. Decided to check oil for the first time since it was changed at 600m service. What's this? Dipstick bone dry and torch shown no sign of oil inside! Gradually poured in about one pint, checking regularly. Oil now only just showing on bottom of measure. Then the penny dropped. With only a side stand I've been reading the level with the bike leant over. Will try tip suggested above above tomorrow and hold bike upright for a while to centre the oil level. G

DON'T START THE ENGINE UNTIL YOU'VE DRAINED OUT THE EXCESS OIL - OR YOU COULD DAMAGE IT.

Guest GeoffMeade

Thanks for the engine-saving advice. Rang the workshop this morning and they confirmed yes, you do need to check the oil upright. I managed it - precariously - with a 'phone book under the side stand. Took out about 3/4 pint of semi-synthtic and everything right as ninepence. Lesson well learned. G

It is a simple matter to wipe the dip stick clean with the bike on side stand. Position the dip stick; then hold the bike in its upright level position (as per manual) for 5seconds or so to wet the stick. Lower back onto side stand and take the stick out to view it (I don't have a friend :cry:)

I did this after Honda 600 mile service and the level was spot on.

I have been doing this for years and works great. Never felt the need for a centrestand just to check oil.

Guest motorboy

I have worked for many dealers over the years and what I have found is dealerships are only as good as the owner wants it to be. Honda will give the owner all the stuff it needs to be a first class dealer but money all ways seems to come first example one dealer would not give bolts for the license plate because they cost 25 cents he would hand the plate to the customer and say you put it on because the paperwork was already done the customer had no recourse and had to figure out what to do next I would keep the bolts off old battery's just for that purpose ...

• 1 month later...

If the bike has a centerstand fitted and you're concerned about keeping the bike level (i.e. as if stood upright on its wheels) just shim the front wheel with a bit of wood or wedge etc until both wheels are same distance from the ground, then bike will be level.

Guest turbodieseli4i6

Seems like there's room for a lot of confusion here...and maybe some mechanical mayhem...when I collected my bike, the guy doing the handover specifically said " check the oil level on the the sidestand, it comes with a sidestand as standard so use it " but the owners manual clearly says "Place your motorcycle in an upright position on a firm, level surface". So have Honda issued the dealers with new instructions? I've got a centrestand and on checking the oil it's just over max, so I'll check it upright and off the stand just to see if the nose down attitude on the centrestand makes a difference but I doubt it. Every bike I've ever owned requires the bike to be level when the oils checked, even an ER6F which only comes with a sidestand, so unless I hear otherwise I'll go with the manual.

The salesman told me to check the oil on the side-stand with the dipstick resting on the threads (not screwed in).

That's a + for the salesman!! He also said they needed to check the valve adjustment at 600 miles.That's a - for the salesman!

Always verify information! when you trust someone else, its still your fault if something fails.

There's me assuming folk read the owners manual again. :doh:

post-1-0-28126700-1340625950_thumb.jpg

You mean it comes with a manual? :lol:

Edited by turbodieseli4i6
  • 2 weeks later...

It is a simple matter to wipe the dip stick clean with the bike on side stand. Position the dip stick; then hold the bike in its upright level position (as per manual) for 5seconds or so to wet the stick. Lower back onto side stand and take the stick out to view it (I don't have a friend :cry:)

I did this after Honda 600 mile service and the level was spot on.

I never thought of it like that, thanks for the tip!

Still leaves me to wonder why they the center stand is not standard.. I mean, if a bargain-bin PCX gets a center stand, they can't bloody well say it's too expensive for a NC700!

I just sit on mine when I check the oil, wipe the dipstick clean, place it back, there is a tendency to lean the bike left whilst you reach down to the right when doing this so I make sure I sit upright and the bike is vertical before reaching back down for the dipstick and checking.

Still leaves me to wonder why they the center stand is not standard.. I mean, if a bargain-bin PCX gets a center stand, they can't bloody well say it's too expensive for a NC700!

Many bikes doesn't have a main stand, like Crossrunner, Varadero, Hornet, CBF1000, CBR600 and others... I saw the same on other brands too. On some of them it is not available even as an accessory. They offer a paddock stand instead. It's part of a design philosophy...

• 11 months later...

Just to be sure, the guy at my dealer told me hold the bike up straight and sit the dip stick in it's hole without doing it up, and then check the level, when I do this my oil level is spot on so I assume this is correct, can someone verify this please as I want to go out for a ride tomorrow and am reluctant to go until I know the leve is ok....cheers

The Owner's Manual for the Integra specifically says check oil level with the bike on the centrestand on a firm level surface.

The rest of the blurb is the the usual warm engine/stop allow to drain 2-3 mins/rest dipstick on threads not screwed in etc.

I doubt the difference in level due to being on/off the centrestand would be of any concern, I've done dipstick/sump calibrations in engine development and there is always a safety factor each side of the high/low calibrations which I'm sure Honda will have taken into account when establishing the markings and instructions, but stick to what it says in the manual and you can't go wrong.