pjm

Puncture Sealant

pjm    1,044
pjm

Just a thought would continental recovery set ups have the ability or tools to change a tube if I had a spare with me? The thought of having to do it by the roadside is a non starter but I am going to the Picos in May and don't want to get stuck.

Tex    8,298
Tex
5 minutes ago, pjm said:

I have got the OKO sealant and a jumbo syringe to make sure I get it right and will put it in as soon as I get a chance.

I guess we'll never know if it works until you get a puncture! :) 

2 minutes ago, pjm said:

Just a thought would continental recovery set ups have the ability or tools to change a tube if I had a spare with me? The thought of having to do it by the roadside is a non starter but I am going to the Picos in May and don't want to get stuck.

How good is your Spanish? :D 

Tex    8,298
Tex

You're going to need two spare tubes.. Does the Affy Twin have a centre stand?

pjm    1,044
pjm

Well they say you can get away with one but I Would probably take two. Like most modern bikes it does not come with a stand as standard but I have had one fitted. I have the 27 and 22mm sockets and a breaker bar that I may be able to squeeze in somewhere just in case. Fail to plan, plan to fail. What a pain tubed tyres are.

Edited by pjm

slowboy    1,787
slowboy
10 hours ago, pjm said:

I have always found the continental recovery services very good, but they will probably take you to a garage to fix it. Again I have always found them excellent on the very few occasions I, or someone I'm with has needed them.

Tex    8,298
Tex
10 hours ago, pjm said:

Well they say you can get away with one but I Would probably take two. Like most modern bikes it does not come with a stand as standard but I have had one fitted. I have the 27 and 22mm sockets and a breaker bar that I may be able to squeeze in somewhere just in case. Fail to plan, plan to fail. What a pain tubed tyres are.

No way can you get away with using a 21" tube in an 18" wheel (or vice versa). You could just carry a puncture repair kit (packs into a fraction of the space and weighs almost nothing) but you still need tyre irons and a pump. We could spread the load between us. Changing tyres isn't my favourite job, but I do it (with bad grace and colourful language :D ).

I think you/we need to go one way or the other. Either we're taking everything we need to be self sufficient or we're relying on a recovery service? Having said that carrying spare tubes and getting a garage to fit them is a 'half way' that might work.

pjm    1,044
pjm

Don't worry I will be bringing the kitchen sink. 

• Haha 1

Gasman    172
Gasman

You should always take spare rubbers when going on holiday:thumbsup:

Andy m    2,181
Andy m
2 hours ago, Tex said:

No way can you get away with using a 21" tube in an 18" wheel (or vice versa). 

Sorry, have to disagree. Its a well known bodge amongst trail and long distance riders. I've seen it done. Thing is, its a bodge and if you use the wrong tube you have to get it out again before too long. When you are against the clock and only carrying what will go in a belt pack, or the bike is already overloaded because you are carrying stuff for a year, the weight of a second tube may be important. Up a trail in Umbongostan you will be doing 40 mph and stopping every hour to navigate, recover from the inevitable offs, walk ahead to find the trail and what not. If its soft stuff you'll only have 15 psi in there anyway. On an evening, patching tubes and putting the good one back is just part of the routine, you can't ride in the dark anyway. Doing this in order to come home from Belgium on the motorway is rather different. I'd carry a tube for each wheel so long as they are TT tyres and I had the means to change them. 15 minutes and 100% fixed for the rest of the trip.

Andy

Edited by Andy m

Mac750    2,562
Mac750
19 hours ago, pjm said:

I have got the OKO sealant and a jumbo syringe to make sure I get it right and will put it in as soon as I get a chance.

Once you have used the Jumbo syringe you can wash it out and with some clear vent pipe for a bike battery (sold in Halfrauds ) you can make a hidden chain oiler for the bike. 

Tex    8,298
Tex
8 hours ago, pjm said:

Don't worry I will be bringing the kitchen sink. 

We can have a get together and talk it through. I'm (somewhat half heartedly) considering changing mine to tubeless. I guess 'hope for the best, prepare for the worst' is the way to go. :) 

fred_jb    2,427
fred_jb

It's a real shame that Honda don't offer a tubeless wheel/tyre option for the Africa Twin.  It is one of the main reasons I was put off it, along with the need for manual suspension adjustment.  My holiday puncture would have been much more traumatic if I had had tubed tyres.  Is there any way of converting the AT to tubeless?

• Like 1

pjm    1,044
pjm

There is a tape conversion or very expensive alternative wheels. I am just going to go with the OKA sealant and carry the tubes, pump and some tools. Did you take tubes in your last trip SImon or just a puncture patch kit.

Tex    8,298
Tex

Didn't take anything! The bike was covered under Triumph Care (or whatever it's called) so I just hoped for the best. Not even sure we had a plug kit for the tubeless tyres on the Streetie! :D 

Gasman    172
Gasman
2 hours ago, fred_jb said:

It's a real shame that Honda don't offer a tubeless wheel/tyre option for the Africa Twin.  It is one of the main reasons I was put off it, along with the need for manual suspension adjustment.  My holiday puncture would have been much more traumatic if I had had tubed tyres.  Is there any way of converting the AT to tubeless?

If you want to go tubeless the two most popular routes seem to be either Alpina wheels or sealing the spokes with Outex or 3m tape.

Mac750    2,562
Mac750

The stuff you squirt in after a puncture and use a small gas canister to re inflate the tyre didn't work for me, it just left me stranded by the side of the road. I'm sure I did it to the instructions but a plug would have sorted it much better .

pjm    1,044
pjm

I carefully injected the OKA sealant in to the tubes this afternoon. I then gave it a good run out with plenty of twists and turns and speed variations to give it a good slosh around. I did not notice any balance issues.  I left it to settle and then pchecked the tyre pressures and put the Garmin TPS back on and all seems good. I watched a couple of YouTube clips of people removing the rear wheel and changing tyres. Will probably need to get the MOtion Pro Beadbreakers. Obviously I will only need to get one side off to change an inner tube. I cannot see a clip for the front wheel removal and the owners manual is awful. I assume I will need the special tool that fits the female hex in the front axle.