My first Service moan

gobetween55

gobetween55

I booked my first service (600 miles) in at 400 miles about 3 weeks and can't get booked in till 2nd September, ridiculous.I've Done about 770 miles so got do get it sorted.

Been to dealers today and checked doing an oil change myself won't affect the warranty (it doesnt) so bought a Honda filter and will do it myself. Certainly not waiting till September. I was talking to the dealer and they said "Well its this time of year we are always mad busy and last week in August we have to get all the new bikes ready for the September plate".

This is a well known shop in Chester who have been great about everything else but I think they really fall down on this. They have about 5 or 6 engineers there I believe but maybe in the summer they should have more. I'm guessing you have to have some sort of Honda certificate to work there so maybe thats why they get stuck but it seems to be a common issue. Anybody else had this type of thing? I'm presuming my first service bill will be cheaper as I will have replaced oil and the Honda filter myself......

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andy m

• gobetween55

• Rocker66

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Argueing with an Engineer is like wrestling a pig in mud. After an hour you realise the pig enjoys it"   Anon   Andy

They admitted they hadn't touched it. Put immediate refund through without argument when I argued the chain tension and wheel alignment. Bike was still parked at the daft angle I had left it at (my pa

You're quite right, Andy, of course. I work(ed) with a whole bunch of engineers in the race team. Clever men, one and all. Bloody clever. I only had to ask for something and they would set to and make

Rocker66

Firstly I would have booked my first service when I bought the bike. Secondly do you really think that there are a load of Honda trained mechanics just waiting to to be employed for a couple months in the summer. It's obvious that with people going on holiday that workshops are going to busy and as you say the new registration due. How would you feel if the dealer said sorry you can't have the new bike you ordered for Sept 1st as we are busy doing services.

renners

Well i didn't book my first service when i got the bike and if the dealer knows there going to be busy you would have thought just maybe they could have mentioned the fact that they would be busy in August getting ready for new bikes ordered for Sept.

PoppetM

If it helps my dealership took the bike in, never moved the bike from where a I left it and charged me the privilege of it being parked outside for an hour and never changed the oil. 

Was done at the 8,000 service by another dealership. Oh and I got my refund for the first service. 

• Like 1
gobetween55
35 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

Firstly I would have booked my first service when I bought the bike. Secondly do you really think that there are a load of Honda trained mechanics just waiting to to be employed for a couple months in the summer. It's obvious that with people going on holiday that workshops are going to busy and as you say the new registration due. How would you feel if the dealer said sorry you can't have the new bike you ordered for Sept 1st as we are busy doing services.

I take your point. Being new to riding after passing my test in June it just wasnt a situation I was aware of. The dealer just said book in when you reach 400 miles which i did. I feel that the first service should be on an equal priority with getting a new bike as essentially its a brand new bike that needs a service to protect its warranty as stipulated by the dealer so they should take this into consideration.  Like I say though, I'm new to all this hence why I'm on here I guess.

Edited by gobetween55
  • Like 2
Rocker66

Put yourself in the dealers position and think which would be your priority.

At least now you know to give plenty of notice  the next time you want to book your bike in.

Sorry to hear that your dealer is one that charges for the first service.

• Thanks 1
Guest aldmannie

You don't have to go to the supplying dealer or even a Honda dealer.

So phone around for availability.

As long as the service is done with genuine Honda parts and specified lubricants to the stipulated schedule in the owners manual the warranty remains good.

If you are having an independent do the service, every item and part number needs to be itemised on the bill.

gobetween55
27 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

If it helps my dealership took the bike in, never moved the bike from where a I left it and charged me the privilege of it being parked outside for an hour and never changed the oil. 

Was done at the 8,000 service by another dealership. Oh and I got my refund for the first service. 

That does help thanks, feel much better now!!!!!!

• Haha 1
Finlayson99

Assume it's Smiths Honda in Chester?

If so, Ian is the main wrench there. He's a top bloke who knows everything and more about bikes. Totally trust the guy.

He is however very overworked and I think it's only him and a helper there.

If you go 2 miles into town to Bill Smiths, they have a bigger workshop. Same business just not the Honda branch.

You could try them if it's not possible to wait till early September, they may be able to fit you in earlier.

What I do is call then about 6 weeks ahead of time. They are always busy, doesn't matter what month.

You'll get good service though when they do the work.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the bike.

Edited by Finlayson99
  • Like 2
Guest aldmannie

A decent dealer will make sure you are aware of the issues around booking services.

The salesman I dealt with for purchase of my SV made sure I knew exactly when their workshop starts to get busy.

renners

I agree totally Graham no point telling him to book in for a service at 400 miles to then say sorry but our priority has now changed and were going to sort the guys out that are going to buy a new bike for  sept, seems a case of we've got your money move on.

trisaki

Oil change  is really "THE SERVICE  ! "  if you are lucky unlike poppet  -  +a look over checking nuts and bolts etc 

• Like 1
Tonyj

I kind of lean rockers way on this one fwiw , how many miles does the dealer know he will put on his bike ? Some people  dont get off and others take ages , which I think is why he said give us a call etc when you get to 400 . 

Not everybody buys a bike and returns back for a service at the principle point they purchased it from , they may buy over the phone or it was just cheaper.my friend has bought a few bikes this way .  I'm sure no damage will occur if he runs over either . 

Although I can appreciate the disappointment in delay and have been victim to it myself .  no one dies , you just have to wait a bit longer .

all the while enjoy your bike and ride it a bit more . Good luck and try to build a relationship with them you never know it may pay off in the future.

• Like 1
Guest Mac750

I'm not sure taking it to a non Honda independent who uses Honda parts like filters etc will keep your Honda warranty intact.  I know you can with cars as it was taken to court and the verdict with cars was yes you can. But it didn't mention motorcycles. I maybe wrong but I'm still of the belief that your new Honda has to go to a Honda dealership or the warranty is invalidated .

I wouldn't trust my local Honda dealer to fit a bicycle bell so for the next year I shall use another Honda dealer 74 miles away then after that do my own as per usual. I would check first before using anyone other than Honda whilst it's still in warranty. Maybe send an email to Honda customer services and ask. 

As Tri saki says if you are changing the oil and filter it's a bit like having a dog and barking yourself. You have done all the work for them .

ScooterCommuter
4 hours ago, aldmannie said:

A decent dealer will make sure you are aware of the issues around booking services.

The salesman I dealt with for purchase of my SV made sure I knew exactly when their workshop starts to get busy.

I bought mine from Smiths in Chester and they did make it very clear to me that they'd be busy and advised me to book the service well in advance, between 600-1000 miles. I opted to avoid the summer rush however, by breaking my wrist well before 600 mlies (probably wouldn't recommend it though).

11 hours ago, PoppetM said:

You waited 8,000 miles to do the first oil change?  Surely that, if anything, would void the warranty. 

PoppetM
19 minutes ago, Woody 99 said:

You waited 8,000 miles to do the first oil change?  Surely that, if anything, would void the warranty. 

The new Honda dealer never said anything about it when I warned them the first service was never actually carried out...and the dealership that was supposed to carry it out didn't offer to book it back in to actually carry it out.  I am not a mechanic and this is my first ever motorbike. I have to rely on the so called professionals because I don't know what's right and what isn't...

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Woody 99 said:

Be interesting to see Honda try and void a warranty because one of their service agents failed to carry out a service that they invoiced (and were paid ) for! If anything they should extend Sam's warranty due to the fraudulent activity of their dealership. 

• Like 1
Tonyj

Poppet how did you know the oil wasn't changed ? . I remember reading some details that they messed you about and the pdi was poor but didn't you take it to someone one here or didn't they at least offer .

because if you knew it needed an oil change at 600 letting go to 8000 is a bit of a stretch :0) . Mind you bet it's nice and run in now. 

Just goes to show then , it doesn't matter to much if you go past your first service and few extra miles :0) . 

Guest machinman

Have done 50,000 miles on 2 NCs. Mainly home servicing, had  a few warranty claims and lack of service history has never been an issue.

PoppetM
2 hours ago, Tonyj said:

Poppet how did you know the oil wasn't changed ? . I remember reading some details that they messed you about and the pdi was poor but didn't you take it to someone one here or didn't they at least offer .

because if you knew it needed an oil change at 600 letting go to 8000 is a bit of a stretch :0) . Mind you bet it's nice and run in now. 

Just goes to show then , it doesn't matter to much if you go past your first service and few extra miles :0) . 

They admitted they hadn't touched it. Put immediate refund through without argument when I argued the chain tension and wheel alignment. Bike was still parked at the daft angle I had left it at (my parking skills have improved BTW :) ) . Even the husband commented it looked like it hadn't moved when he dropped me off to fetch it. So unless it's done by molecular transfusion... :) 

As said above I am novice - how was I to know that's an important thing? No one else I knew at that point had a bike so could offer advice? They hadn't offered to take it in and flush it out and actually do the work. 

I am only familiar with car engines. My car oil doesn't get changed when car is "run in". It has it's "flush" at the annual service".  

Anyway it was changed at 8,000 - nothing I can do about it now as it heads towards it's 16,000 service, it feels fine. I now know on my next bike to check and insist that oil is changed, thanks the wealth of knowledge I have picked up from you lovely guys.

It's all a learning curve, a steep learning curve :)  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
SteveThackery
8 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

As said above I am novice - how was I to know that's an important thing? 

Ah, PoppetM, it's a guy thing.  Male babies pop out of the womb knowing about oil change intervals.

• Haha 4

You can take your bike to any registered mechanic to have the oil changed using OEM parts.  EU Law is clear on that and it does not invalidate the warranty.  My bike has done its 16k now and I need to get the valves checked, so will do it myself as "A" I can do it and "B" I have the tools and most importantly "C" I am a cheap bugger and prefer to get my hands dirty!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Rocker66
1 hour ago, makman said:

You can take your bike to any registered mechanic to have the oil changed using OEM parts.  EU Law is clear on that and it does not invalidate the warranty.  My bike has done its 16k now and I need to get the valves checked, so will do it myself as "A" I can do it and "B" I have the tools and most importantly "C" I am a cheap bugger and prefer to get my hands dirty!

I thought that from previous threads on this subject it was stated that this law applies to cars but for some reason not bikes

Tonyj
8 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

Ah, PoppetM, it's a guy thing.  Male babies pop out of the womb knowing about oil change intervals.

I was under the impression that male babies pop out of the womb knowing everything , not just oil changes . :0)

• Haha 2