Spindizzy

Smaller practical bikes

Tex    8,298
Tex

Not really my 'thing' (sorry). Having said that, there's not many truly modern styled bikes I do like. I just find them f'ugly. 

• Haha 1

Spindizzy    1,743
Spindizzy
7 minutes ago, Tex said:

Not really my 'thing' (sorry). Having said that, there's not many truly modern styled bikes I do like. I just find them f'ugly. 

Well it would be dull if we all liked the same thing.

You know me, the more f'ugly the bike generally the more I like it :) 

Its based on this:

https://www.speedzone.sg/honda-singapore/honda-cb190r-hornet/

Edited by Spindizzy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Tex    8,298
Tex

I like the Hornet better. There's a few things I'm not loving and why do you 'need' USD forks on a sub 200cc - apart from showroom appeal? But overall I can 'see' the attraction of it.

Small bikes are the future though. Or, at least, the interim step between what we have now and what the future holds. Anybody who wants to experience the thrill of a super bike (who has not already done so) needs to get cracking. 

• Like 1

aldmannie    907
aldmannie

Honda already sell a small adventure bike in the UK, its the CB500X.

• Like 1

Mac750    2,562
Mac750

I like the idea of smaller bikes to entice the younger riders or the ladies into biking. My youngest Daughter is tall but of slight build and is on tippy toes on a Vespa type twist and go scooter I bought her as the footboards are wide and for her it feels heavy.

A 190/ 125 DCT motorbike would sell like Mrs Miggins selling hot pies, at a hot pie convention at lunch time where she is the only hot pies stall holder.

A small DCT fast enough to keep up with traffic and a proper motorbike,  not a scooter and sat upright, not all hunched up like Quazimodo.

I like it "honey I shrunk the NC 500x"

• Like 3

Tex    8,298
Tex

I'm not so sure, Mac. A small motorcycle (DCT or not) is flawed by lack of weather protection and chain drive. I just can't see them selling. Motorcycles just aren't 'cool' with youngsters now. And may never be so again. Regrettably.

I must confess, if I was looking for transportation (rather than a sunny day toy) there's nothing much in the showrooms that would tempt the moths from my wallet. And God never put breath into a man who loved motorcycles more than I do.

A scooter, on the other hand, just does the job it always did without having it's usability spoiled by needing to look 'sporty' or like a racer.

• Like 1

aldmannie    907
aldmannie
1 minute ago, Tex said:

A scooter, on the other hand, just does the job it always did without having it's usability spoiled by needing to look 'sporty' or like a racer.

The new model Burgman 400 has much less internal storage due to adoption of a more slimline sporty look.

baben    992
baben

Motorcycle.com Really rated the Kymco 350 scooter. I think that it is a 300 in Europe. I quite like the idea of big wheeled scooters - the Beverley etc but I cannot abide tiny wheeled things. They frighten the excrement out of me. The other thing with a scooter is the lack of knee gripping facilities - I tend to control the bike via my knees a lot of the time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spindizzy    1,743
Spindizzy
1 hour ago, baben said:

Motorcycle.com Really rated the Kymco 350 scooter. I think that it is a 300 in Europe. I quite like the idea of big wheeled scooters - the Beverley etc but I cannot abide tiny wheeled things. They frighten the excrement out of me. The other thing with a scooter is the lack of knee gripping facilities - I tend to control the bike via my knees a lot of the time. 

My other NC is a Suzuki Address 110. They cleverly, or entirely by accident extended the floor board down the sides and it works almost like having pegs with feet in almost a motorcyle position. Works for me zipping round town. Its also got slightly larger wheels than the roller skate type on most scooters.  I find I can steer well just with my feet to flip the scoot about. So much so SWMBO on the back was getting a bit uppity.

I was eyeing up an SH300i in my local Honda dealer yesterday. Not ready to commit yet as the NC and the scooter do everything I want.

300cc I think is the sweet spot for an all rounder scoot. Likewise for a motorbike if you don't want a crotch rocket.

• Like 2

Woody 99    518
Woody 99
2 hours ago, baben said:

I quite like the idea of big wheeled scooters - the Beverley etc but I cannot abide tiny wheeled things. They frighten the excrement out of me. The other thing with a scooter is the lack of knee gripping facilities - I tend to control the bike via my knees a lot of the time. 

My sentiments exactly. Sorry I could only like your post once. 😜

Woody 99    518
Woody 99
3 hours ago, Mac750 said:

A 190/ 125 DCT motorbike would sell like Mrs Miggins selling hot pies, at a hot pie convention at lunch time where she is the only hot pies stall holder.

A small DCT fast enough to keep up with traffic and a proper motorbike,  not a scooter

I'm surprised that after all the money they have pumped into developing the DCT that Honda has not produced an A2 license compatible bike. The CB/CBR 500 series would seem to be just right for it but it seems not to be on Honda's radar. Don't know why. 

• Like 1

Rocker66    7,944
Rocker66
4 hours ago, aldmannie said:

Honda already sell a small adventure bike in the UK, its the CB500X.

Depends on your definition of "small" a 500 certainly isn't a small bike to my way of thinking

• Like 2

Tex    8,298
Tex
3 hours ago, aldmannie said:

The new model Burgman 400 has much less internal storage due to adoption of a more slimline sporty look.

Which rather supports my point. As 'sporty' walks in the front door 'practical' runs out the back one..

• Like 1

Tex    8,298
Tex
37 minutes ago, Woody 99 said:

I'm surprised that after all the money they have pumped into developing the DCT that Honda has not produced an A2 license compatible bike. The CB/CBR 500 series would seem to be just right for it but it seems not to be on Honda's radar. Don't know why. 

Wasn't the original NC700 an A2 bike? Then, when they brought out the CB500 range, they upped the 700 to a 750 and made it just a little bit too powerful? Or do I remember that wrong? I never paid that much attention - my driving licence is so old it's a stone tablet.. :D 

• Haha 1

aldmannie    907
aldmannie
1 hour ago, Rocker66 said:

Depends on your definition of "small" a 500 certainly isn't a small bike to my way of thinking

The 500cc aspect may not be small but the bike itsself is.

The Honda 500s have 300cc versions in other markets and the only difference is the 500 twin is swapped for a 300 single.

So the bike itsself isn't that big.

aldmannie    907
aldmannie
4 hours ago, baben said:

The Kymco Downtown was originally a 300 but the recent version (not sold in the UK) is a 350.

Kymco currently offer a X-town 300 in the UK but it is a two valve motor with less power than the outgoing Downtown 300 it replaced.

You need not be feared of small wheels, nor the lack of a tank to grip between your knees.

Small wheel fear is based on prejudice, nothing more.

Modern maxi-scooters with 13-15 inch wheels are very stable indeed and handle rather well.

You may think you use your knees to control the bike but in fact a bike is steered with the handlebars.

You use your knees to control your body position relative to the bike.

Next time you're riding a nice bendy road take your hands off the bars and try steering it with your knees....

Won't be long till you grab the bars ;)

Get on a decent maxi-scooter and throw it around a bit and you'll understand a lot more about how a motorbike works.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

aldmannie    907
aldmannie
1 hour ago, Tex said:

Wasn't the original NC700 an A2 bike? Then, when they brought out the CB500 range, they upped the 700 to a 750 and made it just a little bit too powerful? Or do I remember that wrong? I never paid that much attention - my driving licence is so old it's a stone tablet.. :D 

Yes the 700 was A2.

The NC750 motor is above the A2 power limit.

• Thanks 1

Woody 99    518
Woody 99
1 hour ago, Tex said:

Yes, it was (or still is, given that there are still plenty on the roads), but it was never replaced when they discontinued it 3 or 4 years ago. 

• Thanks 1

Grumpy old man    580
Grumpy old man
1 hour ago, Tex said:

Apparently the DCT 700 isn't A2, well that's according to my local Honda dealer, the manual is but not the DCT.

• Like 1

SteveThackery    478
SteveThackery
12 hours ago, Spindizzy said:

I like the look of this but we will never see it. 

https://www.adventurebikerider.com/honda-unveil-new-baby-adventure-bike/

OK, I know you are bored with this, but why the f*ck does "practical" have to mean "Adventure-style"?

It's got the same stupid beak, and the same absurd clearance above the back wheel so the passenger seat is at waist height and the poor sod has to wear stilts to get on and off the bloody thing.

I am so bored with "Adventure"-style bikes - it's a really crap style because it apes off-road bikes without actually offering anything that makes it off-road (or dual use).  How I would love to see a small or mid-range bike that has the practical benefits of the NC and its bodywork, but without all the "pseud" bollocks.  

Hummph! 

(I'm getting to be a right grumpy old man how I've had my 60th birthday.)

• Like 3

Spindizzy    1,743
Spindizzy
1 minute ago, SteveThackery said:

OK, I know you are bored with this, but why the f*ck does "practical" have to mean "Adventure-style"?

It's got the same stupid beak, and the same absurd clearance above the back wheel so the passenger seat is at waist height and the poor sod has to wear stilts to get on and off the bloody thing.

I am so bored with "Adventure"-style bikes - it's a really crap style because it apes off-road bikes without actually offering anything that makes it off-road (or dual use).  How I would love to see a small or mid-range bike that has the practical benefits of the NC and its bodywork, but without all the "pseud" bollocks.  

Hummph! 

(I'm getting to be a right grumpy old man how I've had my 60th birthday.)

To be fair I saw it before the Hornet CB190R. I would take the Hornet

However stick a maxi scoot like a SH300i or BV350 next to it I would likely leave on the scooter.

• Like 4

SteveThackery    478
SteveThackery
3 minutes ago, Spindizzy said:

To be fair I saw it before the Hornet CB190R. I would take the Hornet

However stick a maxi scoot like a SH300i or BV350 next to it I would likely leave on the scooter.

I hope you realise I wasn't commenting on your taste in motorcycles.  Rather, I was moaning about the industry's obsession with Adventure styling, even on little tiddler bikes.

Spindizzy    1,743
Spindizzy
Just now, SteveThackery said:

I hope you realise I wasn't commenting on your taste in motorcycles.  Rather, I was moaning about the industry's obsession with Adventure styling, even on little tiddler bikes.

Its ok I knew that. I was commenting more on valuing practicality over style. And that I gravitate to f'ugly bikes if they are useful tools and practical.

Only today I walked past an ER-5. I used to have one and miss it for its simple practicality and that I understood how every inch of it worked and could fix anything. My own never let me down except for a one time stuck float valve that starved the fuel and ran on one cylinder until I took the bowl off, cleaned it and off we went again. :cry:

Tex    8,298
Tex

I always liked the ER5, lovely little thing. And I mean that in a most complimentary way. 'Little' as in small, light, manageable and useable. Same things I like about my little Triumph. :) 

• Like 1