NC750XDE-REMOVING/REPLACING THE SWINGARM-SOME QUESTIONS.

djsb

Can the swingarm be removed without removing the silencer or any of the exhaust pipes? I'm worried that the gas seal will not be as good if I have to remove then replace any of the exhaust parts.

Also are there any other potential problem areas I should watch out for (eg rear brake reservoir, ABS sensor etc.)

I take off the silencer regularly for service work because it takes 30 seconds to do so and makes work much easier. So far zero issues with the seal. You have to remember that is not a true pressure seal, the exhaust system is almost free flow with very little restriction.

rjp996

Removing the rear slip on can is only needed, and having done this a few times I have found no issue with it re sealing. There is no gasket as such just a simple clamp.  From memory the reason to remove it, is to get better access to the lower bolt - saying that however I took my swingarm off about 3 months ago to paint and replace the endless chain and I think I had trouble removing the rear can is time and found a way around the bolt access using some of my tools - have a feeling I may have used a through socket (e.g. Vortex) type that allows a super low profile. If I was home I would pop out and take a look. 

• Like 1
Just now, rjp996 said:

There is no gasket as such just a simple clamp

Not true. There is a a "packer" (Honda's wording) part number 18392-MK4-000 that I believe David is referring to. This "packer" fits inside the muffler joint, normally it stays there after you remove the muffler off the piping.

TheEnglishman

Yes, take the can off, it's dead easy - don't worry about all this gasket stuff - it 'just does' so don't worry

The rear wheel's easy to remove (and a PITA to put back on yourself) as is the shock, linkage, dog bones and swing arm.  Use a coat hangar to suspend the chain.  

Write down all the bolt torque values on a bit of paper before you start.  I find that better than wiping the grease/oil marks off your laptop keyboard afterwards.

I don't know if you're planning on packing all the bearings or not but I recommend you do as well as grease the centre stand shaft, which means taking the centre stand off.  I'd check chain alignment as well, once everything's back together.

• Like 1
outrunner

As others have said removing the silencer is not a problem, I have taken mine off a few times as it is the only way to clean the swingarm thoroughly. Once the silencer is off then it is easy to remove the brake caliper making wheel removal/replacement much easier.

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...
Mr Toad
On 8/21/2017 at 07:34, old commuter said:

You do some really scary mechanics on here. Really impressed - wish I had such courage.

There's nothing scary about spannering. What makes it difficult is when you try and do it with half a dozen non metric spanners you've had lying around for 50 years, a hammer and a pair of mole grips.:cry: That's when you break things and damage stuff.

If you have a half decent selection of tools, and they don't need to be expensive for home use, then it's all very straight forward.

On a bike one of the best tools you can have is a centre stand and one of the tools you must have is a torque wrench. Inexperienced mechanics will always overtighten things fearing they will come undone. The correct torque setting on some of the bolts, especially when alloy is used can be little more than finger tight. On my Bonneville the engine casing bolts are 9Nm as are the chain adjusters.

I always urge people to have a go, it's easier than you think. You also get to know your bike and it's a damned site cheaper than a dealer.

old commuter

Thanks for that - have a torque wrench and tools but removing wheels, swing arms etc seems really complicated. Have a centre stand also

If you put a little more info about your self   ( like location )   peeps who live near you may offer to pop along and help you get into spannering on your bike. 

As said it ( mostly ) is not difficult just maybe different to what you do for a living.. If you are near me you are welcome to pop along and use the bike table

and i.

Lyn.

Guest bonekicker

We older ones were self-taught-- that and having mates around discussing what should be taken off or not--then panicking--it's late--having to rush to put bike back together for tomorrow's journey to work at 5.30am.

Learning to use tools--and using them correctly--making sure everything is put back--properly is not easy--start with simple jobs--watch others--get mates around--invite forum members to help you--it all makes life interesting.  :thumbsup:

Guest Mac750

Bike table mmmmmmmmmm. 

Had the chance to buy a 2nd hand one six years ago and like a fool I decided not to get it. Now all you hear coming from the garage is " Oow ,Ach, Crack ,Creek , Eeuu, Gertchya."  That's just me getting  up off my knees after checking the chain 😁. 

I knew I should have bought that table it was a big one as well.