Wheel bearings longevity

Guest machinman

Guest machinman

Right then, had the NC from new 25000 mile ago and could do with 2 new tyres. My question is, would it be wise to change the wheel bearings at the same time?

I have no symptoms, but wondered if their is a milage where they should be replaced, near end of life etc. Can they last an infinite milage?

I don't use a power wash

Any thoughts?

DaveM59

Why change them unnecessarily, if they are fine leave them. I would expect bearings to last well over 25,000, I think I have changed my X9 ones at around 60,000.

It's not a big job removing a front wheel if necessary but keep checking at tyre changes and replace if there is any sign of roughness.

Two ways to look at this, I think.

There is a history, for whatever reason, for SOME NC rear wheel bearings to need replacing at typically around 25k miles. Now, we can put forward theories for this, it's still unclear why they have failed at this premature mileage. They ought to be good for, well, a lot more than that, 100k miles maybe?

The 2 views? As Dave says, if it ain't broke don't fix it. On the other hand, if you have the ability to change them and your bike is at that sort of mileage, do you want to wait and see what happens and find they start to go when you are on a long trip and miles from anywhere?

My Integra is around that mileage and I do long tours on the continent, and the last thing I want is for a wheel bearing to start grumbling mid-tour. Last time I had the rear wheel out I changed the bearings. The originals felt fine, but at least now I know what's in there. The bearings are cheap, less than a tenner a pair, and a relatively easy job if you have the facilities. Possibly unnecessary and an overkill reaction, but I can argue why rationally.

My Deau has done double that mileage and I have no intention of replacing those, there is no real history of failed bearings in Deaus, sure one or two but not like the NC has at around 25k.

Personally I suspect either a batch of bearings with no grease (unlikely but possible in theory) or a fitting error (more likely) causing some damage to them.

If you do only relatively short trips, local, then leave alone and check regularly.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, embee said:

If you do only relatively short trips, local, then leave alone and check regularly.

Would be my advice too. But if you're leaving for Ulaanbaatar at the end of the month I would fit new ones before you go.  :) 

My rear ones on the 750s lasted 16000 miles only.  26 months old. Honda would not replace.

This happened on a European tour, not much fun.

Mo.

• Like 1
trisaki

Check regularly  as mentioned  above  and don't over tighten wheel spindles  use a torque wrench  

I'm plus 40k on mine and still on the original bearings.  Don't forget there are 3 bearings in the rear wheel and they won't all wear out at the same time so false economy to replace them all just because...IMO.

just done front wheel bearings at near 60000 miles..corners much better now. Did rear wheel,but not sprocket, bearings at 24000 ish. Easy job especially with freezing the new bearings first...Steering head bearings feels notchy now..only noticed when doing the front wheel bearings, so that's next.

was in ireland on working holiday but only needed to borrow a car jack, a long handled screwdriver, and a hammer to get job done.

Guest machinman

Thanks all for your input, I took the wheels off today to have tyres fitted and the rear offside bearing was notchy. Have got a pair coming in the morning, carrier bearing seems ok👍

Sometimes this comes down to peace of mind as well.. I've swapped out parts on my Triumph before they've failed due to well known issues.

Edited by Trumpet

I had to replace the rear wheel bearing at 22k miles...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Peterpoddy

My first set lasted about 18k, replaced under warranty, the second set did a bit more, 23k or so, I replaced them with the bst SKF bearings I could find (under £4 each) myself in about 5 minutes. If you're still on the OE ones above 20k I'd replace them personally. 

I'm just coming up to 40000 miles and I'm on my 4th set of rears. Honda have been informed and I am trying to get to the bottom of why....

Maybe it has to do with your climate. I just took the wheels to a powder coater at 44000 km just to get rid of the scratches tyre replacement caused at various facilities (I bought my own tyre changing equipment now). I had to strip the rims clean of everything, including bearings. They all felt like new. The dust/grease seals (separate to the bearing) still hug the shafts properly. Everything is OEM, never touched by anyone.

This begs the question: how come your bearings fail so early/much assuming the same Japanese OEM bearing are used in the UK version of the NC range?

On some bikes, a binding caliper/ piston allows the pads to put a lot of heat into the disks, the disks in turn transfer heat into the hubs. Warmer grease in the hubs is more runny and will be more susceptible to running out past the seal. The grease may be replaced by moisture or worse still, brine off the roads.

Ideal recipe for knackering bearings.

If people have concerns, just check the temperature of the hubs after a run. Those with just side stands and no paddock stand or centre stand wouldn't necessarily realise quite so easily that they have a fault in their braking system which may lead to a failed wheel bearing.

This may go some way to explaining why wheel bearings don't fail quite so easily in Western Australia where the major issues are more likely to be just dust and heat but no water and no salted roads. Brake systems and bearing seals can deal with  dry dust more easily than water borne dust.

Leave them alone, they will last years yet. !!

• Like 1