nc700 wont start

DaveStewart

DaveStewart

Hi all, 

I have had my nc700 for just a few weeks, went to start it this morn and it would not budge.

It was stuck in first gear for some reason, managed to get it back to neutral, I have had the battery on charge all day, just went back to it and tried again but still nowt.

Everything lights up but it just will not fire up.

Any help would be most welcome.

Sorry if this is the wrong lace to post 

Edited by DaveStewart
First post
Rednc750se

Emergency switch in on position

DaveStewart

Nope, checked that early doors

DaveStewart

Its a 2012, only done 1000 miles though,did renewing the battery solve it.

I have not checked the fuses yet as i do not know how to reach them.

As i mentioned, every thing seems to light up but it just will not fire up

I have a battery optimiser and it says it is holding 12.3 volts atm

Guest bonekicker

Your optimizer is quite good at looking after battery--had you removed the terminals and cleaned them? it will be something simple--keep looking--do you have Honda Breakdown cover? if so call them out--they are really good.:thumbsup:

DaveStewart

bonekicker, no, i have not got breakdown cover, I am thinking maybe the battery is goosed, even though the bike has only done 1000 miles, the battery is five years old.

Its got me bamboozled.

Are the fuses easy to get to?although I dont think its that cos everything seems to light up when I turn the key

Rednc750se

Everything is lighting up, is the engine turning over. If attempting to turn over are lights going out. Then possible battery or bad connection.

The battery voltage should be around 14 volts when fully charged. You need a new battery.

Trust only a nice voltmeter to take any measurement, and battery's manual to estimate its status. If you're referring to Oxford Maximizer battery maintainer, I'm sure it's showing more voltage than what it is... It must be lower.

For a Yuasa VRLA, 12.3 V is about 25% of its named capacity. Any SLI lead acid battery bellow 50% of its named capacity is too weak. Its time to replace it especially when the winter is close...

To have an idea about Yuasa (and Varta) batteries State of Charge (at 25º C / 77º F):

13.00 V = 100% charged (with sulfation stoppped)

12.80 V = 75%

12.50 V = 50%

12.20 V = 25%

12.00 V = 0%

The charging voltage should be up to 14.4 V. Always let the battery to rest at least 2-3 hours before you take any measurement.

See Yuasa's Techical Manual (2014) for more details.

Time also kills a lead acid battery. Don't be surprised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

side stand switch,!!

Dunnster

New battery time I'm afraid. 

Happened to me last year. 2012 NC 

Rev Ken

Try starting it with jump cables from a car battery (but NOT with the car engine running!) then if it starts, check charging voltage. If that is OK then a new battery seems inevitable. If it doesn't start, (so long as your bike hasn't flooded when you have tried to start it previoulsy) then something else is the problem. If the charging voltage is low, then it means the rectifier or stator are suspect. I'd do these tests first before lashing out on a new battery, but at five years old it might be the culprit!

DaveStewart

Hello again all. 

I have just gone back to the bike after a few hours, and hey presto it fired up. The battery is showing 14.2 volts ATM, but that's because it's been on charge all day. I had no idea the % of the battery was so minimised ste7ios, thanks for the useful info. I shall be purchasing a new battery tomorrow. Thanks all for the help and tips people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Guest bonekicker

Dave, I have only just seen you live in Preston--if you get stuck again--pm me I will come round and help if at all possible--sorry again :poke: Its being old and blinkard that does it.:nuts:

Guest bonekicker

Is it just me? or do other supporters do the very same--not on purpose--but-- when viewing posts--especially when there is no Avatar and some times no Name --I tend not to look at them--I don't know why?? can you tell me why--again is it just me?? :blink:

trisaki
21 hours ago, DaveStewart said:

Hello again all. 

I have just gone back to the bike after a few hours, and hey presto it fired up. The battery is showing 14.2 volts ATM, but that's because it's been on charge all day. I had no idea the % of the battery was so minimised ste7ios, thanks for the useful info. I shall be purchasing a new battery tomorrow. Thanks all for the help and tips people. 

Put a volt meter across battery terminals  turn ignition  on - should stay above 12volts

2 hours ago, trisaki said:

Put a volt meter across battery terminals  turn ignition  on - should stay above 12volts

That doesn't really help. To inspect the charging voltage:

* Always use a battery in good condition

* Warm up the engine to operating temperature; then stop the engine 

* Connect the multimeter

* With the headlights on high beam, restart the engine

* Measure the voltage when the engine runs at 5,000 RPM

The measured charging voltage must be greater than the measured battery voltage and less than 15.5 V. (Measured BV < Measured CV < 15.5 V)

If it's out of this specification then there is a problem with the Regulator / Rectifier...

(Source: NC700XD Service Manual / pg: 21-7)

• Like 1
DaveStewart

bonekicker, I will do next time,which no doubt there will be may occasions when I need advice.I updated the avatar not long after my first post, maybe you did not notice until later