Clunky gear box - common?

Tim O

1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Put earplugs in and if the speedo goes round its fine.

Made me snigger. You are right,in these days of silencers which silence, sophisticated designer oils, silent valvegear, liquid cooling, we are left with hearing noises which have always been there but which were just drowned out by the din of the other moving parts. Anything you can hear out of the ordinary seems to be the order of the day. A bit of backlash from the gearbox can now be heard as it has run in whereas in days gone by , you would never have heard anything other than the residual fuel exploding in the exhaust pipe on over- run.

poldark

I've found the DCT pretty slick and smooth (apart from 1st shift from 1-2) but with 1700 miles on now I thought I'd give the DCT relearning thing a go (DDDND?).

My logic was things (highly technical term) will have clearly worn-in a bit from brand new so maybe recalibration worthwhile, plus I wondered if I'd thought it was getting a bit less silky (easily imagined i guess).

Anyway thanks to info in this great forum I did the process and had a runout today with some chums for 120 miles, it was very definitely smoother.

So my question is can it do any possible harm if I redo this every few months, or now settled down is it pointless until another x miles?

Edited by poldark
SteveThackery

It can't do any harm.  As you say, it might not do much good either unless the clutches actually need recalibrating.  But no harm in doing it every so often.  I do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Andy m
8 hours ago, commuter said:

... are left with hearing noises which have always been there but which were just drowned out by the din of the other moving parts. Anything you can hear out of the ordinary seems to be the order of the day....

Listen to the song in your heart not the voices in your head - Homer Simpson

The human brain has this weird ability to invent noises which auger impending doom. I think its some caveman thing aimed at spotting the tread of sabretoothed frats over a background of mammoth ruttings, but it becomes a PITA in modern times.  I can't think of an actual problem that was ever announced by anything except a lack of go, appetite for fluids or the bikes desire to fall over in corners.

Andy

• Like 1
Spindizzy
19 hours ago, Andy m said:

Listen to the song in your heart not the voices in your head - Homer Simpson

The human brain has this weird ability to invent noises which auger impending doom. I think its some caveman thing aimed at spotting the tread of sabretoothed frats over a background of mammoth ruttings, but it becomes a PITA in modern times.  I can't think of an actual problem that was ever announced by anything except a lack of go, appetite for fluids or the bikes desire to fall over in corners.

Andy

I thought my scoot was having transmission issues as it was getting very rattly at the back end. The cure was to take the big screen off which was amplifying and reflecting normal transmission sounds. I put it back on as I missed the rattle and moderate pitch raspberry blowing sound the exhaust makes.

• Like 1