Mixing tyres query

poldark

poldark

I have a pair of very lightly used Dunlop Roadsmart tyres from my last bike (Street Triple) and although Front is right size the Rear isn't.

I can get a good price on correct sized Dunlop Qualifier for the Rear, which is "better".

I seem to recall something about if you mix tyres making sure the Front has the better grip - is that rubbish or should I make sure to buy a Roadsmart rear too?

Edited by poldark

I doubt you will be pushing it hard enough to cause either tyre to 'let go', so you're probably fine. Triumph equips two of it's models within a radial rear and bias belt front (!) and I've owned both. It's not actually a problem (although I admit I thought it would be!). Just go with what suits you and your budget. 

Sometimes , the manufacturers used to insist that one used their tyres as a matched pair since the tread pattern on the front was"designed " to help the rear tyre in some way ( such as clearing rain away). At that time, my funding decided which tyres went onto my bike.To be honest, I never ever have noticed any difference at all in tyres in dry weather. Whether using the cast iron korean tyres which came as standard with Hyosungs or the finest stickyness from pirmitchlop etc. ... I have never been fast enough.

In the wet however, I have noticed a marked difference. I currently use a Maxxis on the front and a roadsmart on the back which is  alot better than continental front/ roadsmart rear or continental front and rear. Guess what? I didn't like continentals which were on my bike, they felt hard to the touch and felt a bit loose in the wet so they were perhaps just old. Other than that one pair of conti's and the korean tyres, I haven't been able to differentiate between any other tyres performance because I figure that they all outperform any demands i may place upon them.

• Like 1