Coloured upperlegs frontfork

Guest John

Hi there everbody. I'm a guy from Belgium doing his best so you all get an idea about my bikes problem.

I noticed some time ago my frontfork acted strange when I tried to brake. Some weird vibrations although not always, nothing to do with the ABS system.

Even when I use my frontbrake very smootly. Today I was cleaning my bike and I noticed both upperlegs (hardchromed items) have

at the bottom a braun gloss. Looks the same as a chrom exhaust with braun discoloration. Anyone have an idea? Bike is a NC750X DCT, bbuild 2017.

Edited by John

Hi, I tried but on none of them you can see anything. It is some kind of very ligh brown glow. I contacted my local dealer. He informed Honda Belgium but "no warranty". My local dealer gave some extra information (you're not going to believe it). The quality of the innerlegs don't have the same quality of those from 20 years ago, so for him it was very normal the inner leg started to corrode a little bit, even for a bike from 2017. Another thing was that I replaced the original exhaust with an aftermarket product (a work he did), and when you change something on your bike within the warranty period you never can get any warranty from Honda Belgium on any defect (good to know). I still am asking myself what an exhaust has to do with my front fork.

I went to another dealer who thought it "was" some kind of copper coloured glow. He used some very strong cleaning product and after a minute or so my front legs were as new again. They told me it must be the copper rings mounted on top of the inner side. He advised meĀ  to wait until winter and then remove the both front legs myself so they wouldn't have that much work to replace those rings. Thanks for the reply and sorry for my English language.

The copper rings are there as bearings to centre the tubes in the forks. The fact that they are discolouring the chrome is irrelevant. Unless there is a major construction defect I doubt the vibration is anything to do with the forks. You can always tell where the fork movement is on any set and the fact it rubbed off with a bit of polish shows it's nothing more than a stain.
Check them for play in the usual MOT fashion by grasping the bottom and pulling backwards and forwards and if there is no play then there is nothing wrong. You would detect a clonking or rattle over bumps and irregular surfaces is the guides were faulty, not just on braking.
The brake vibration is much more likely to be a disc/pad/calliper issue. Possibly a steering head bearing preload problem.
Do you use a disc lock, these can create burrs on the holes in the disc that cause vibrations?

Thanks for all the replys. I already checked everything and there isn't any play noticeable at all. Untill now I never used a discbrake ( quite a safe neighbourhood ;-) ) SometimesĀ  I can feel some vibration in the frontside when using only my front disc (not ABS, I know that kind of vibration). Also my steering head bearing is OK. I think I have to wait and see what will happen in the near furure.

I'll keep you informed about it.

posted the into the wrong thread ...sorry

Edited by commuter
error