16000 miles service takes 2 days?

PoppetM

PoppetM

Are they on a wind up?!

Was a little taken back but they are happy to give me a loan bike. Exciting, however a little terrified given my short stature. Praying it's a SH300i and not an Affy Twin or an X! 

And with a novice question on insurance, what happens with that? My own policy is me only on my own bike? Do I need a cover note from my insurer or do Honda sort that out for you?

I got told that from the Honda dealer nr Bournmouth + a v.large costs - I needed up taking it to Kent Motorcycles for a lot less and done same day

• Like 2
PoppetM
6 minutes ago, rjp996 said:

I got told that from the Honda dealer nr Bournmouth + a v.large costs - I needed up taking it to Kent Motorcycles for a lot less and done same day

That's worth bearing in mind for next time, thank you. I have no more annual leave so can't get it to Kent MC for the day, I needed a 12v ordered as well. 

At least they confirmed is going to be another S or a CBF500 as a loaner, both I can thankfully reach the floor on :) 

alhendo1

Is it possible they might want to leave it overnight so the bike is cold to adjust the valve clearances hence the two days?

• Like 1

Dont worry about ins Sam they take care of it (they have to to keep customers) iv had many loan bikes never had an issue, just booked my car in for a 35000 miles service £220 inc vat and a car to get home in. ! (half a days work):ahappy:

• Like 1
PoppetM
21 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Dont worry about ins Sam they take care of it (they have to to keep customers) iv had many loan bikes never had an issue, just booked my car in for a 35000 miles service £220 inc vat and a car to get home in. ! (half a days work):ahappy:

Last time I did that with Vauxhall I queried the insurance, turned up with all my documents then they turned me away because I hadn't got the cover note (I was told I didn't need) for their courtesy car. Was not amused!

Glad to see things have changed on that point. 

Be fun if they loan you a CB500, Sam. Lovely little bikes. But much more 'motorcycle' in it's power delivery than the (diesel like) NC.

I'm at a loss as to why they need it so long though. 

• Like 1

I imagine alhendo is right, it just means they can pick and choose when they do the valve clearances (cold engine) without having to squeeze it in a certain time slot.

• Like 1
Dunnster

I reckon like others have posted, need it overnight so engine is cold for valve clearance check, which is required at 16,000 miles, hence 2 days. Unless you can drop it off night before the service date. It shouldn't cost more, just because they need it for two days. Your only paying for the 16,000 mile service, however much that costs, unfortunately, it's a major service as it involves the valve clearance check. :unsure:

Wouldn't worry about the loan bike insurance, you should be covered on their insurance as its a pool vehicle. 

Edited by Dunnster
  • Like 1
Guest bonekicker

Yes--Dont worry --But still double check with them--and do you have to pay the 1st £1000 damages?? 

I'm not into these leave overnight services--dont mind going away for a few hours--but I really dont want a loaner--it may be a test bike of a new model--so I would be tempted --and making you think it is going to take 2 full days to service the bike--can and will be in the invoice:no:

Taking the **** so they can have one technicians schedule full. Let sump plug out and go home. Park overnight, do valves, air filter, plugs etc on the way out etc. Refill with oil. Hand over to tea boy for final checks and clean so you can charge that same 8 hours labour to the next bloke as well. 

Bring it up to Leeds it'll be quicker.

Watch the loan bike paperwork. Some have insane excess (I was offered one at £20000!) while others are TPO and leave you liable for all costs associated with any theft. Treat them like any hire vehicle and inspect thoroughly on collection. Bungler Maniac and W***** once loaned one and weren't happy when I noted a scratch on collection. 7000 miles later I get the same loaner with the same scratch. Guess how many unwary customers had potentially paid to have it fixed. 6 weeks, at 4 customers a week, each paying £250 fixes the scratch and tops up the tea fund.

Andy

• Thanks 1

Some very good advice being given about checking the excess payable on the Dealer's Insurance Policy  :niceone:

It does vary wildly, between £750 and £2000 in my experience.

Personally, I try to stay clear of loan bikes or loan cars whenever possible, for this very reason.

When test riding a bike or test driving a car I have to bite the bullet, or do without :angry:

Modern life eh? :oldfart:

Good Luck :sunny2:

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, PoppetM said:

Are they on a wind up?!

Was a little taken back but they are happy to give me a loan bike. Exciting, however a little terrified given my short stature. Praying it's a SH300i and not an Affy Twin or an X! 

And with a novice question on insurance, what happens with that? My own policy is me only on my own bike? Do I need a cover note from my insurer or do Honda sort that out for you?

I would mark the rocker cover bolts etc with tippex or simular to see if they do remove  it same with oil filter  radiator hoses  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
suffolk58

I took mine in the day before at closing time for the reasons given above. However, unlike you I had to use the bus to get home and back to the dealer the following day.

• Like 1

My Triumph dealer lent me a lovely shiny Speed Triple for two days. I paid £10 for insurance cover which had a reasonable excess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
PoppetM
1 minute ago, baben said:

My Triumph dealer lent me a lovely shiny Speed Triple for two days. I paid £10 for insurance cover which had a reasonable excess.

That would lead me to the dark side....

Does anyone recommend somewhere, as I have my 16k due in next few weeks? I'm in NW London but happy to travel?

Any good experiences out there?

Dunnster

When's the service due Poppet?

Some members prices paid for 16,000 service vary from £250 lowest to an eye watering £800! Invoices stating 3hours labour and 6 hours labour charges. Find out how long Honda say the job should take and go from there. 

Phone a few dealers and get quotes so you can at least let your dealer know you have of a rough idea of the price you should be paying. 

41 minutes ago, trisaki said:

I would mark the rocker cover bolts etc with tippex or simular to see if they do remove  it same with oil filter  radiator hoses  

It's a shame you have think about doing these sort of things that Trisaki suggests but unfortunately that's the case.

One of the main reasons I diy service, I realise not everyone is inclined or has the time, but you should be able to take a vehicle to be serviced without worrying that your not going to get ripped off and the work has been carried out. 

Anyone from the forum reccomend a trustworthy dealer near Poppet?

31 minutes ago, baben said:

What did you think of the Speedy compared to big Tig? 

PoppetM
14 minutes ago, Dunnster said:

Some members prices paid for 16,000 service vary from £250 lowest to an eye watering £800! Invoices stating 3hours labour and 6 hours labour charges. Find out how long Honda say the job should take and go from there. 

Phone a few dealers and get quotes so you can at least let your dealer know you have of a rough idea of the price you should be paying. 

It's a shame you have think about doing these sort of things that Trisaki suggests but unfortunately that's the case.

One of the main reasons I diy service, I realise not everyone is inclined or has the time, but you should be able to take a vehicle to be serviced without worrying that your not going to get ripped off and the work has been carried out. 

I have just rolled over 15,000 so it's due soon with my mileage. This dealership comes highly recommended from colleagues and a forum member and have had her in there twice already. I don't get messed about by them and it's a stone throw from my office. It's about £300 for the service but there's a few other things I have asked them to do. Bad experience with one dealer and two other garages and won't ever go back to them with my bikes. 

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Dunnster said:

Yes me in Arundel west sussex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
sandalfarm

I had to drop the triumph off the night before and was loaned a new bonnie for the day 

Dunnster
16 minutes ago, trisaki said:

Yes me in Arundel west sussex

Thought so. ;)

Poppet........, :thumbsup:

Dunnster
18 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

I have just rolled over 15,000 so it's due soon with my mileage. This dealership comes highly recommended from colleagues and a forum member and have had her in there twice already. I don't get messed about by them and it's a stone throw from my office. It's about £300 for the service but there's a few other things I have asked them to do. Bad experience with one dealer and two other garages and won't ever go back to them with my bikes. 

All sorted then :)

• Like 1