"Heavy" on right hand turns.

Bigglesaircraft

Bigglesaircraft

I am experiencing what I would describe as the bike feeling heavy on low speed right handed turns, for instance on tight 2nd gear hairpins. I haven't checked yet but is a possible cause be that the wheels are not in perfect alignment?

Possibly, or it might just be the road camber. Low tyre pressure would add to 'heaviness'. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Grumpy old man

Would squaring off of tyres give that effect? 

• Thanks 1

I regularly have to negotiate a vicious right hand 'hairpin' / 'U turn' on a local village green that is compounded by having a terrible road surface. I now just slow to the speed I am comfortable with and take my time. It is probably one of the more difficult areas of slow speed riding but with careful use of the throttle and rear brake I get by. It's almost like a challenge as to how smoothly I can execute the turn and under how much control. I wish my AT DCT had the rear brake on the bars as on the Integra I felt this control combination was far more natural. A few owners have bent the handbrake lever further towards the grip so they can reach it for use in low speed manoeuvres.

• Thanks 1
Bigglesaircraft

Tyres are Ok, pressures to Honda spec and although a good suggestion I don't think the camber of the road is a factor as the "heavy as if it wants to drop effect is present on all surfaces.

Two things come to mind.
1. Are you sitting central on the bike saddle, some riders who are a little short sit to one side so their preferred leg can touch ground when they stop. This has a big effect on cornering.
2. Even if you are sitting correctly most riders have a liking for cornering one way in preference to another. I much prefer to do a left turn and dislike tight right handers especially if they are uphill too.
If either of these are the case it could also be that your tyres are not worn perfectly concentric caused by generally cornering harder to the left than the right which compounds the feeling that right turns are more difficult. Did this feeling exist on brand new tyres or has it developed?
Misaligned wheels would also not help but would also contribute to an odd wear pattern on the tyres. Misaligned or bent handlebars would also be a little weird but also unlikely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
PoppetM

My bike did it when I first got it. Every right turn at a roundabout or junction filled me with fear. Wheel alignment was out. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My adjusters have had to be offset to get the correct wheel alignment. I have two parallel bars and blocks of wood to check it properly. It was out from Brand new at delivery.

Edited by Trumpet
  • Like 1
Guest bonekicker

Dont rely on the adjusters at all--As Trumpet above quite right says-- 

On 14/09/2017 at 22:20, Trumpet said:

My adjusters have had to be offset to get the correct wheel alignment. I have two parallel bars and blocks of wood to check it properly. It was out from Brand new at delivery.

If out of alignment the bike will not corner correctly. :no:

Bigglesaircraft
9 hours ago, kharli said:

wheel bearings and headstock bearing wear can give your symptoms

Thanks for your assistance, I have checked those and all ok, although the bike has only done 5000 kms so I did not expect it to be anything relating to age or mileage. I have now checked the wheel alignment by the string method and it is out by approx 4 mm so waiting until I have purchased a paddock stand and will check again and adjust if necessary.

• Like 1