Display errors (speedo and revcounter)

Guest Shaun

Hi

Just got a NC700 XA and not bad but problems, told mileage cannot be verified but jumped in as looked OK (auction).

Got it and took it home then once insured and taxed out for a spin.

Nice bike and I can see the advantages of such a machine but mine has a problem.

If I change up at red line it seems to early and appears to be laboring, having rode for many years old British , Screaming 2  strokers, screaming 4 stroke s etc so think I can tell with torque and noise when an engine can or needs another gear.

As it says it is ticking over at 3000 but is just turning over and appear correct suspected the rev counter so drove it by ear and it was vastly improved.

Found out it has a rev limiter so hopefully no risk, it will rev quite happily past the read line and off the rev counter scale with the bike still pulling and sounding happy (did push a little and found the limiter was working but not while revs are on scale).

Speed o is the same it appears to get worse the faster you go so at an indicated 90 MPH I am barley passing trucks limited to 60 MPH.

Suspect mileage drop from 3,000 to 600 between MOT,s last year is the mileage that cannot be verified is where the dash was either changed or interfered with.

Have checked most of the forum and will try the reset but if any one has any ideas I would appreciate it as bike is in lovely condition with no signs of damage  but without speed o and rev counter I will loose my license so it will have to go.

Sorry it is a long post

Shaun

Sounds like a nice bike and if both the speedo and rev counter are playing up it I'd opt for faulty instruments rather the sensors on the bike as it would be unlikely that both go at the same time.

Why not simply replace the instruments?

http://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Honda-Meter-Speedo-Instrument-Cluster-06370-MJL-D50-NC700X-NC750-/122713054435?epid=649046522&hash=item1c92449ce3:g:VB4AAOSwLdNZwDdb

• Like 1

Everything looks brand new so thought I check forum to see if anyone else had this problem. 

Not sure but imagine the full display wont be cheap and would tip the bike over what it is worth to me, if I have to spend a lot I will probably  be doing it on my Monster. This bike was to give me something more reliable to use as well as the Ducati and was cheap, I was surprised how good it was but I am out of my depth with CPU's and all digital where I cannot play.  Ducati is more basic with less to go wrong, being a Luddite and seeing what can go wrong with the more technical bikes I think I may go back to something I understand.

Shaun

There was a recall and replacement on the instrument cluster from Honda. Maybe this one got missed, and the previous owner bought another gash set from that aution site ?

You should able to ask Honda was this bike subject to the recall, and if so was it done ? You never know you might even get an instrument cluster out fo them FOC ..

Edited by Trumpet

As I recall the dash problems were only apparent on the (then) new 750.

But you may as well have a look anyway.

Punch in your VIN and see.

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/my-bike/maintenance/recalls-and-updates.html

Just thinking out loud here, but would a different sized sprocket give these effects to the speedo? I know that wrongly sized sprockets will mess up the DCT system. 

Will check the recall status but suspect if sprocket changed it would only affect the speed o and the rev counter would still read the engine RPM.

Thanks so far to all for the advice and time taken, my searches has revealed second hand Dash for £220 to £350 so far.

Shaun

Already answered , my thoughts were sprockets

Edited by Tonyj

Has anyone changed a cluster ? looks like a second hand one or a different bike .

The reset I have found on the site is basically Disconnect battery,turn ignition on for 30sec then off,Reconnect battery, Start engine WITHOUT using any throttle, warm up until the fan starts, Stop engine using the kill switch, switch off ignition.

Does this reset the cluster or do I have the wrong reset ?

Would like to keep the bike but not in present state and changing cluster may not work .

As for cogs I will check but cannot see revs being derived from the drive train, in the past I have changed cogs for better acceleration on some bikes and for better top end on others and it has not changed the rev counter.

Thanks for all the ideas and time

Shaun

Forgot to say it is a 2012 and I shall try a few other things on the site  and any suggestions made by the forum members before contemplating selling at a slight loss. 

Still a rebel without a clue cause.

Shaun

Bigglesaircraft

Have you a reliable mechanic or even a Honda outlet you can trust. They will be able to check both of those items easily and quickly.

• Like 1

I would be wondering if you actually have the correct instrument panel. I don't know what technical differences there are between, for example, the 700 and 750 panel.

You should be able to find the correct part number for your bike here https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-61064-61064-NC700XAC-2012-F_02-NC+700+X+ABS.html (don't know if that page is appropriate for your bike, but search the listings), and there ought to be a part number on the actual panel somewhere, there's usually a label stuck on the back.

The so-called reset procedure you describe is not actually verified as to whether it does anything, but it won't affect anything in the instrument panel anyway.

Edited by embee
  • Like 1
MikeBike
15 hours ago, embee said:

I would be wondering if you actually have the correct instrument panel. I don't know what technical differences there are between, for example, the 700 and 750 panel.

I believe the 700 display didn't have a gear indicator.

No gear indicator and nearest Honda dealer is 50 miles north or south only 2 local bike shops that do everything the nearest I now know had this bike in for a long time so appears to be a lost cause.

Shaun

MikeBike
On 19/09/2017 at 00:27, Shaun said:

bike is in lovely condition with no signs of damage  but without speed o and rev counter I will loose my license so it will have to go.

Don't think you need a rev counter, and think OK if speedo overreads but maybe there's a limit...

I suppose one option would be a simple test with another dash if there is someone near you who would let you try theirs - just need to unscrew and connect the plug and start / rev the engine to see if the revs change.

There's a VS sensor (looks like rotational speed from symbol) in the electrical schema which feeds the dash.

There's no info about your location in your profile, or member map or introductory post saying where you might be. If you update your profile you might find a local kind soul that might help a fellow NC'er by trying their 700 dash.

Nice Idea and I am in the borders but would not like to risk someone elses dash if my bike has a problem.

Will hunt out my old test gear I am sure I have a dwell meter that gives RPM for twin cylinder machines and get the wife to cruse at 60 to check the speed o. Will update with results

Shaun

5 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Nice Idea and I am in the borders but would not like to risk someone elses dash if my bike has a problem.

Will hunt out my old test gear I am sure I have a dwell meter that gives RPM for twin cylinder machines and get the wife to cruse at 60 to check the speed o. Will update with results

Shaun

I know this is really daft but has someone been messing with the settings and set it to read KPH rather than MPH? You mention doing 90 and only just passing trucks doing 60 well 90KPH is about 56MPH

just a thought and doesn't address the RPM problem.

Edited by Mr Toad
On 9/21/2017 at 18:12, Mr Toad said:

I know this is really daft but has someone been messing with the settings and set it to read KPH rather than MPH? 

I was going to say exactly the same thing.

To begin with, there was a recall on 750s for a faulty display in 2011?,  I believe as a result of random trip counter resets.

Anyway mine had been done by the previous owner however, LCD in the gear indicator display had gone wrong and woudn't show appropriate gear numbers.

In the end the dealer imported a km/h display from Hungary, which I managed to change to mph following instructions in Owner's Manual.

Here's a link to p4 of my thread about the clocks: 

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen the picture above my 700 may have a 750 display as I have a box next to the fuel indication that does not display anything, will look into a second hand 700 display. Anyone want a 750 display ?

Cheers

Shaun

Found out what it should be, part no 37100MGSE32 but as with modern tech there is no part number on the clock I have just a bar code and a few numbers. Anyone know how to read these ?

Cannot put up picture but if anyone knows how to interoperate or where I can find the info please enlighten.

Will post if I find the answer.

Shaun

Have you tried "Goggles" on an Android phone? It's a barcode reader but it would be a stretch if it read Honda barcodes as well.

Mr Toad
13 hours ago, djsb said:

Have you tried "Goggles" on an Android phone? It's a barcode reader but it would be a stretch if it read Honda barcodes as well.

It should read it, barcodes are just a way of getting a lot more info in a small space that using normal letters. It will depend more on what info Honda puts in that particular barcode, it might be something useful, it might not.

No I phone I am afraid, mine can be used to hammer in nails, waterproof etc for on a boat but in three months I have not even used £1 of credit.

Bit of a Luddite I am afraid this is about as tech savvy as I get.

Will send photo to Honda and see what they say, during searches I have found it should have gone in for a recall for a timing chain or somthing like that so will be going to a main dealer within a few weeks.

Shaun

Here we go again with bar codes, I have a chance of two displays one a 2013 and one a 2014 (3 miles on clock) as my bike is 2012 I dont know if they changed anything from 2012 to 2014 anyone know ?

Shaun