Another brake queery

Eric F

6000 miles (only 1800 by me) and the front pads are near the end. Bit crap if you ask me, what's the best pad to replace it with sintered, semi or organic?

I'm replacing mine with EBC HH sintered the same as I have on my Bonneville. The brakes on the Bonnie were quite frankly crap and after my BMW they felt dangerous.

I swapped them for the EBC HH sintered pads and they transformed the brakes, as I knew they would having used them before. 

• Like 2
Guest aldmannie
33 minutes ago, Mr Toad said:

The brakes on the Bonnie were quite frankly crap and after my BMW they felt dangerous.

There's a simple solution, don't use them.

And its a serious suggestion because learning to ride without using the brakes will make you a far safer rider.

Obviously there will be the odd time you have to use them, but aim to ride without using them.

I replaced the OEM at 17,000 mi with EBC HH. No I can’t tell that they’re crap...

IMHO, you’re braking more than necessary or there is a problem with the caliper, pistons...

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, aldmannie said:

There's a simple solution, don't use them.

And its a serious suggestion because learning to ride without using the brakes will make you a far safer rider.

Obviously there will be the odd time you have to use them, but aim to ride without using them.

I think the message here is use the brakes less by leaving longer slowing distances and anticipating areas where you may need to travel more slowly such as approaching junctions thereby just rolling off the throttle rather than application of the brakes. If your pads are low now, its a good time to change them since the winter will treat the calipers more favorably if the pistons reside within them rather than sticking out of them collecting all the brine and grit as they would with thin pads.

• Like 1
Guest aldmannie
8 hours ago, commuter said:

I think the message here is use the brakes less by leaving longer slowing distances and anticipating areas where you may need to travel more slowly such as approaching junctions thereby just rolling off the throttle rather than application of the brakes.

Exactly this.

Its all in the anticipation and reading the road.

suffolk58

26,000 miles and still on the original front pads. The rears were replaced at 16,000 miles but I do a lot of commuting and use the rear at low speeds to balance the bike.

• Like 1

OP best pad to replace originals with? Me I choose the cheapest because I cant tell the difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones. I guess that as someone who uses brakes quite lightly, I have never found there to be any difference.

There is a way to tell which is which but unfortunately, they do not publish the coefficient of friction data for brake pads aligned with different types of disc material and operational temperature curves because 1) the law doesn't make the manufacturers do this, and  2) a very low percentage of customers  would know how to interpret such data.

Even mediocre race teams ( not referring to man, van and dog teams) have access to such information but Joe Public doesn't. ( did you ever wonder why so many race teams use brembo?) This way they know  which type and grade of pad to use for the distance/ ambient/ frequency of use/length of maximum use duration etc.

On 21/09/2017 at 21:53, Eric F said:

6000 miles (only 1800 by me) and the front pads are near the end. Bit crap if you ask me, what's the best pad to replace it with sintered, semi or organic?

I don't know of any manufacturer that fits organic pads to front brakes on large capacity motorcycles, they wear out the disc sooner.

Your bike came fitted with Sintered HH pads so replace with the same. Honda do fit organic pads to the rear on the NC750, though I replaced mine for sintered but that's my preference, as I don't like a badly grooved disc as both my last two bikes came to me with.

Guest aldmannie
43 minutes ago, skorpion said:

I don't know of any manufacturer that fits organic pads to front brakes on large capacity motorcycles, they wear out the disc sooner.

I thought it was the other way round, sintered ones wore the discs out sooner?

Just had my Peugeot tepee serviced (35000 miles ) and the mechanic told me the pads are 50% worn, thats handy i thought 70000 miles before they need replacing   . The car weighs 1 ton , why on earth are bike pads wearing out so quickly,

5 hours ago, aldmannie said:

I thought it was the other way round, sintered ones wore the discs out sooner?

Sorry yes I can't seem to find any report to back up my claim, but over the years I have never had any noticeable disc wear with EBC HH pads on different bikes from different manufacturers. 

The front pads on my 800 mile 2017 NC750x are scouring the disc,  are noisy and give off a grinding noise, they will have to  go.

Bart Stilgo

The front pads on my 800 mile 2017 NC750x are scouring the disc,  are noisy and give off a grinding noise, they will have to  go.

Brian

My front disc is the same as you describe.  Been like it since I got the bike with 300 miles on the clock.  But never any issues with performance.  I'll have to check the disc to see what the wear is like.  We're at 4000 miles and pads are fine.  Just need to check the disc.

Double Sindered (HH) are more effective under most conditions but they wear brake discs faster. The opposite for organics...

Note that there are various qualities even on the same brake pad types... I would advise to avoid very cheap brake pads, like Chinese “PRO-RACE”... I had used them in my rear caliper... The result was uneven wear, tracks on the disc, that you can feel with the fingers...

EBC, Brembo, Ferodo, SBS, and other known brands have great brake pads and the price is ok compared to the Nissin (OEM)...

To enlighten you a bit...

http://powersports-blog.denniskirk.com/5573/powersports/motorcycle-brake-pads-sintered-vs-organic/

https://ebcbrakes.com/technical_ebc_brakes_blog/how-to-choose-best-brake-pads-for-motorcycles/

https://rideapart.com/articles/what-you-should-know-about-motorcycle-brake-pads

Also be sure that you always select compatible brake pads with the rotor, e.g.:

https://ebcbrakes.com/brakes-selector-chart/

I get about 8000 miles out of my front pads and have tried many different types. The Honda Nissin ones arte pretty good but I have found the TRW Lucas sintered pads are as good as it gets. I have their road/race pads in other bikes which are fantastic but they don't do that compound for the NC. I found that the EBC HH pads lack feel and feel a bit wooden. I have also used sintered Dunlopads in the rear brake which are pretty good but not as good as the TRW Lucas ones. I tried organic EBC pads in the rear and the brake became useless to the point I'd have ben better putting my feet down! Only my opinion, but I have 40k miles through 3 years of all weathers to base my findings on.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
TheEnglishman

Fit sintered pads from a known brand.  Cheap ones come apart far too often.  

And ride it like you stole it if you want  - you only live once!

• Thanks 1
Mr Toad
On 9/25/2017 at 19:03, Ralph said:

I get about 8000 miles out of my front pads and have tried many different types. The Honda Nissin ones arte pretty good but I have found the TRW Lucas sintered pads are as good as it gets. I have their road/race pads in other bikes which are fantastic but they don't do that compound for the NC. I found that the EBC HH pads lack feel and feel a bit wooden. I have also used sintered Dunlopads in the rear brake which are pretty good but not as good as the TRW Lucas ones. I tried organic EBC pads in the rear and the brake became useless to the point I'd have ben better putting my feet down! Only my opinion, but I have 40k miles through 3 years of all weathers to base my findings on.

Interesting. I've had a variety of pads in different bikes over the years and have found EBC to be excellent, I have them fitted to my Bonnie T100 and they transformed the braking. I agree with your comments about the organic pads, I too found them downright dangerous!

The discs themselves play as big a part in the stopping process as the pads so it makes me wonder if our differing views on the EBC pads is as much due to the discs they were used on.

I was going to replace the Nissin pads on the NC with EBC but before I do I would love to hear what pads others are using and how they compare to the OEM Nissin pads.

All the discs were OE and not new. I have used EBC HH pads on other bikes and found them to be reasonable. I just prefer the initial bite of the TRW Lucas pads as they give me great confidence. I suppose it comes down to personal preference in the end.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 25/09/2017 at 19:03, Ralph said:

Just fitted these front pads and used for 10 miles only, these pads are working as I like, no vibration/squealing with good bite, though it says race/track pads they work from cold, never heard of them before seems to be the name of the supplier HUEY.

http://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/HONDA-NC-750-X-NC-750-XE-14-15-Front-Sintered-HH-Race-Pads/222338475378?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brakes-Huey-Motorbikes-Accessories-Parts/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A303817031%2Cp_4%3AHuey

Will update if I find any problems.

I'd be interested to see how you get on with them. They seem like a bargain!

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/10/2017 at 20:01, Ralph said:

I'd be interested to see how you get on with them. They seem like a bargain!

Now 300 miles on the Huey pads, and as they are bedding in are getting much more powerful, seem to work like Bendix MMR or Goldfren GP5  pads that I've used on other bikes, well worth it at the price.

Being a wuss no more updates this year bike off road until after winter.