Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest veejay

A warning on Huggers

28 posts in this topic

A heads up for all!

I fitted a skidmarx hugger to my NCX 500 miles ago. I removed it in order to fit a chain oiler and was horrified to se that the hugger had worn through the paint on the swinging arm!

I would strongly advise anyone fitting a hugger puts some sort of barrier between the GRP material and the paint or you will be in the same boat..... And yes the bolts were still tight when I removed them.

1 person likes this

Funnily enough, my Skidmarx hugger arrived today, I've just fitted it and I was thinking exactly the same thing...I bet it marks the paint on the swinging arm..I haven't done anything about it yet, tomorrows job. Veejay, where has it marked the paint...under the brake line and the abs sensor wire?

Mine marked the arm along the huggers front edge and under the bolts clamping the brake line etc. But the worst damage was at the front edge.....this is not just marked it has rubbed through to bare metal. It is also worth noting that loads of crud gets pushed between the hugger and the top face of the arm, so it would be wise to try and seal the joint there. I have acquired some self adhesive closed cell foam strip to do just this, but I think some sort of silicone sealer might be better. TBH I would have expected the paint to be more resilient than it is. I also have found that the paintwork is VERY easy to scratch, and have managed to mark it just by removing a squashed fly! I have mentioned this to my dealer.....

Edited by veejay

'Washer' is the English word. Personally, I will fit a thin piece of plastic or rubber sheet that covers the whole area of the swingarm that the hugger contacts.

Fitted some of the `helicopter protection tape` to the whole swing arm area under the rear hugger before fitting and have had no problems .....yet fingers crossed.

I also smoothed of all the inside edges with wet and dry and took off a little bit on the corners with the grinder so as not to scratch the undertray every time I remove the hugger to clean the chain.

Still not good news about the paint finish. I`ve found my main paint problem to be the foot hangers. Already worn through in a couple of places and quite scratched.

I`ve now put some clear tape on and they look a little better.

Thanks for the heads up VJ, I,ll be checking mine tomorrow...

Hi Viv, are you able to take a picture of it? Mine seem nothing wrong.

Edited by BlackSilverNC700X

Nice one Jen - thought I was the only one to know about Helicopter Tape! I would use mine but haven't found it since we moved house. Maybe time to invest in another roll.

Can somebody please post pictures to see the problem?

As I have painted over the problem area and covered it with helicopter tape it is not likely that I am going to remove the hugger to photograph the problem.... If you have fitted a hugger, take it off and take a look, they are simple to remove - 4 screws and they come off, simple. If you are about to fit one, use an anti fretting barrier between contact areas and you will be fine (helicopter tape looks spot on for this).

Never heard of "helicopter Tape" please elaborate.

Hi Derrick

This is a quick quote from 3M's the manufacturer of the tape :-

Super tough, adhesive clear polyurethane tape produced by 3M. The ultimate in leading edge tape.

Often referred to as 'helicopter tape' this super tough tape was developed to protect the leading edges of helicopter blades.

Thank god for google

Martin

My brothers girlfriend works at Aston Martin and she is getting me a metre of some sort of clear film that is used on the car bonnets and panels to protect from stone chips. Difficult to apply apparently but should be ok on small surfaces like the tank and swing arm. I should have asked her more about the stuff as dont even know the name of it. Anyone familiar with the protective film i am talking about? Definatly want a hugger and not wanting to but 3m tape unless i have too :)

Helicopter Tape is basically a really heavy-duty equivalent to the thinner protective film commonly used on car bodies. Even though it is a clear material, it has a more noticeable 'edge' when fitted because it is thicker and tougher. It is very easy to apply - at ambient temperatures, the sticky side behaves just like an extremely low-tack adhesive so you can peel it off and re-position it as many times as you like. Once you're happy with the placement and you've smoothed out any air bubbles, you just heat it with a hair-drier to give a much stronger bond. Obviously it's tricky to apply on complex surfaces with tight bends.

1 person likes this

Helicopter Tape is basically a really heavy-duty equivalent to the thinner protective film commonly used on car bodies. Even though it is a clear material, it has a more noticeable 'edge' when fitted because it is thicker and tougher. It is very easy to apply - at ambient temperatures, the sticky side behaves just like an extremely low-tack adhesive so you can peel it off and re-position it as many times as you like. Once you're happy with the placement and you've smoothed out any air bubbles, you just heat it with a hair-drier to give a much stronger bond. Obviously it's tricky to apply on complex surfaces with tight bends.

Thanks for the info, seems to me it is a good idea to get some to protect the paint damage caused by the hugger and i can use the thinner stuff on the tank where i rest against.

Where can you get this tape from?

Where can you get this tape from?

I got mine off that auction site. you can get it in different sizes, matte or gloss finish.

Check out the seller paragontapes.

Hello everyone, i just received my rear hugger from skidmarx, and they have this inside:

2e34rpe.jpg

They include a sticky rubber strip to avoid scratches.

2lwb1xc.jpg

Good news.

Can it be considered as a "defect" by Skidmarx, so maybe they can send the rubber to people which ordered the hugger before they realized the problem ?

I will try and I will let you know.

Yeah give them a try, i just install it and it has no contact at all.

I thinks you can have the same result if you put a piece of windstopper ( for doors/windows).

28im1s1.png

Not being a native english speaking man, I don't understand what they mean by "flange" when they say "fix sticky rubber strip to flange".

Please, could someone elaborate so I could fix my hugger? Thanks in advance!