Chain Check

Bart Stilgo

Bart Stilgo

Went to get on the bike to ride home Thursday and found I had got a puncture in the rear (on the original rear Dunlop)

So wheeled the bike into the workshop (she's a heavy old bird with a flat rear!)

And removed the rear wheel to get it repaired

Now when I checked the chain every link was tight or should I say 'firm'.  They were easy to move around but Is this right?

The only chain I can compare this with is the chains on my push bikes and these are free to move but don't have to transmit 50 hp

Is the chain ok?

its got 4000 miles on it and its the original

No adjustment has yet been made .  It doesn't need it

Its oiled every week and cleaned every two/three weeks

Sprockets are in like new condition.

Cheers all.

Spindizzy
32 minutes ago, Bart Stilgo said:

Went to get on the bike to ride home Thursday and found I had got a puncture in the rear (on the original rear Dunlop)

So wheeled the bike into the workshop (she's a heavy old bird with a flat rear!)

And removed the rear wheel to get it repaired

Now when I checked the chain every link was tight or should I say 'firm'.  They were easy to move around but Is this right?

The only chain I can compare this with is the chains on my push bikes and these are free to move but don't have to transmit 50 hp

Is the chain ok?

its got 4000 miles on it and its the original

No adjustment has yet been made .  It doesn't need it

Its oiled every week and cleaned every two/three weeks

Sprockets are in like new condition.

Cheers all.

There will be slight friction due to the 'O' rings contacting the inner and outer plates. So it won't be loose like a bicycle chain. Shouldn't be tight, but don't expect it to flop about completely free. 

Edited by Spindizzy
  • Thanks 1
PoppetM
On 30/09/2017 at 20:17, Bart Stilgo said:

(she's a heavy old bird with a flat rear!)

Yep! I thought it was stuck in gear if the brakes were stuck. Then realised... then had to move it anyway to get the car out to get to work. 

Dont need a gym membership pushing the beast around!

Bart Stilgo

Yep! I thought it was stuck in gear if the brakes were stuck. Then realised... then had to move it anyway to get the car out to get to work. 

Dont need a gym membership pushing the beast around!

Put the tyre back on the bike after tyre repair and then got it back up to pressure and went to push out the workshop and nearly pushed through the wall!

Forgot how easy it is to push with an inflated tyre!