Mark8arker

Lowered

Mark8arker

Hi 

Had my NC750X DCT one week now. Loving riding the bike despite the weather. I had the bike lowered by 30mm. Fits  like a glove now. Just couple of issues come across because i lowered the bike!

Centre Stand

If i want to fit centre stand it will need loads of modification to fit?

DCT Foot gear change kit.

Cant be fitted?

The centre stand would be really handy. No holes for bobbins neither. R&G do a set that fit on the rear wheel bolts. Going to adjust my paddock stand tomorrow see if thats ok. The foot gear change can do with out. Will get used to the hand controls. Has any one else came across these issues?

• Like 1

SteveThackery

The centre stand will lift the bike up to the original height.  That is, the distance between the bottom of the frame and the ground when on the stand will be the same, whether or not the bike has been lowered. 

Bearing in mind that it starts from 30mm lower, it means you've got to lift the bike through 30mm more than the original bike.  This will be pretty tough work, especially as the leverage angle on the centre stand will be even less advantageous for those first 30mm.

I think a centre stand is so useful I'd fit one anyway and try it.  If it's too tall, I would get someone with workshop and welding skills to cut and shut it 30mm shorter.

Unless you can buy a shorter centre stand??

SteveThackery

Ooops!

Mark, it's better not to ask the same question in two separate threads, otherwise it leads to lots of confusion (such as me answering your question before seeing it's been answered already in the other thread).

• Thanks 1

Mark8arker
On 10/7/2017 at 21:02, SteveThackery said:

Ooops!

Mark, it's better not to ask the same question in two separate threads, otherwise it leads to lots of confusion (such as me answering your question before seeing it's been answered already in the other thread).

Hi 

The centre stand off the "S" model is already 30mm lower and fits!!!! Local deal have ordered me one. Having it fitted on the  first service on( 20th Oct).  Sorry for confusion. Thanks for help

Mark

• Thanks 2

SteveThackery
54 minutes ago, Mark8arker said:

Hi 

The centre stand off the "S" model is already 30mm lower and fits!!!! Local deal have ordered me one. Having it fitted on the  first service on( 20th Oct).  Sorry for confusion. Thanks for help

Mark

Thanks for telling us the conclusion - it's always useful for others following on to find definitive answers.

• Like 1

Mark8arker
On 10/11/2017 at 21:24, SteveThackery said:

Thanks for telling us the conclusion - it's always useful for others following on to find definitive answers.

The centre stand fits perfectly!

• Like 2

Graham NZ

What about the side stand? 

Rocker66
31 minutes ago, Graham NZ said:

I had my side stand shortened. I believe some people have fitted the one from the S when lowering their X models.

• Like 4

Mark8arker
On 12/4/2017 at 17:37, Graham NZ said:

The side stand was cut down and welded back together by the  LBS been using for years. Part deal when bought the NC!

Edited by Mark8arker
  • Like 1

bonekicker

If you fit crashbars the bobbins can be fastened to them that's what I did. :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

Rocker66
22 hours ago, Mark8arker said:

The side stand was cut down and welded back together by the  LBS been using for years. Part deal when bought the NC!

That’s exactly what I have had done on a few bikes and never had a problem.

• Like 1

Walklikegump

I have now received the S side stand and the Lust Lowering  bars  .

I expected a bit more then the stand but hey , if all that is needed is this then good.  The pictures of the assy on Fowlers made it look like the S Stand and X stand have different springs?

Anyone know if  the X spring be OK with the S Stand?

I used the part number from another post but can't find that post now.  In fact , I don't seem to be able to search for anything. Most searches come back empty and then I locked out for 15 seconds .   

S Stand and Lust bars.jpg

arengle
13 minutes ago, Walklikegump said:

I have now received the S side stand and the Lust Lowering  bars  .

I expected a bit more then the stand but hey , if all that is needed is this then good.  The pictures of the assy on Fowlers made it look like the S Stand and X stand have different springs?

Anyone know if  the X spring be OK with the S Stand?

I think are same spring. Have a look here https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/ and check the parts number, for X and S.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Walklikegump

17 minutes ago, arengle said:

I think are same spring. Have a look here https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/ and check the parts number, for X and S.

Thanks

It is the same spring. What a good resource

I have also decided to get rid of the Mainstand and not replace it as I don't see me doing roadside repairs just yet.

I will start thinking about a Paddock stand and or a lift to work on the bike at home .

arengle
6 minutes ago, Walklikegump said:

Thanks

It is the same spring. What a good resource

I have also decided to get rid of the Mainstand and not replace it as I don't see me doing roadside repairs just yet.

I will start thinking about a Paddock stand and or a lift to work on the bike at home .

Any bike with chain must have a main/center stand, will make your life much easier. If you don't want one, and intend to do touring then get an chain oilier.

Rocker66
1 hour ago, arengle said:

Any bike with chain must have a main/center stand, will make your life much easier. If you don't want one, and intend to do touring then get an chain oilier.

“Must” is a bit of an exaggeration as both Sue and I have managed for years without a centre stand.

• Like 2

Andy m

You can fit a mushroom plug into a flat tyre on anything that'll stay put and the side stand is easier than trying to lift it onto the centre stand. If you lube your chain every day you'll do maybe ten laps of hotel car parks every year to position the three sections of chain (the last time I did this was in 2012, I lube the chain weekly). L-brackets on my paddock stand have worked on every bike since 2008. The same £60 bit of tube has been a lot cheaper than buying bike specific centre stands.

A centre stand is weight you carry on every single trip, so I'd certainly not replace one on a lowered bike.

Big question: do you sell the one you've removed and get back some of the lowering costs? I'd keep the full length dogbone links and side stand, a back to standard bike sells for the same and lowering bits get you pin money from the auction site, but a centre stand???

Andy

Edited by Andy m

Walklikegump
39 minutes ago, Andy m said:

You can fit a mushroom plug into a flat tyre on anything that'll stay put and the side stand is easier than trying to lift it onto the centre stand. If you lube your chain every day you'll do maybe ten laps of hotel car parks every year to position the three sections of chain (the last time I did this was in 2012, I lube the chain weekly). L-brackets on my paddock stand have worked on every bike since 2008. The same £60 bit of tube has been a lot cheaper than buying bike specific centre stands.

A centre stand is weight you carry on every single trip, so I'd certainly not replace one on a lowered bike.

Big question: do you sell the one you've removed and get back some of the lowering costs? I'd keep the full length dogbone links and side stand, a back to standard bike sells for the same and lowering bits get you pin money from the auction site, but a centre stand???

All Good points.  I will be selling my X Mainstand ( never used but taken for a 700 mile ride) and see what I get back.  I chose to buy a stand instead of cutting it down so I can swap it back with the bones when I sell it. 

Better start a paddock stand thread to see what I should get .

scottiedoug

does the instructions for the Luss lowering kit tell you by how much the front forks should be lowered as well  when fitting?

DaveM59

I don't recall but when I bought a much cheaper lowering kit from elsewhere ( China or Italy?) it did suggest that a physical adjustment of about a third of that given by the lowering kit may prove additionally beneficial, so for a -30mm dogbone to drop the forks about 10mm in the clamps. I did this with my Integra, ten minute job and had no unwanted issues afterwards, it all seemed to work OK and feel right. Everything felt as before but I could reach the ground now!

Grumpy Meltdown

I’m about to fit -40 lowering links to my X and have been advised that dropping th forks 10mm is about all that is needed.

sad vampire

"Rule of thumb" is ratio of 3:1, but the extra 3.3mm is a tiny amount so 10mm will be fine. A slight tilt of the saddle backwards could be very welcome.

kayz1

When i did the X-ADV  ( -30mm rear ) i did the sums and thought 6mm drop through the front was a waste of my time..works fine no problems to report.

Lyn.

DaveM59

The lowering of the rear will adjust the castor angle of the forks which if it were a car would increase the self centring effect on the steering but on a bike just makes the steering seem 'slow' or 'twitchy'. The greater the angle from the vertical the slower the steering effect you get by both turning the bars or leaning the bike over. This is why 'choppers' are not the most agile of bikes. The tiny angle difference on a 30mm rear drop is negligible so can be ignored, but dropping the front puts it back to factory spec, or you could drop more for a sharper steering but I guess you would have to be Danni Pedrosa to feel any real world difference.

scottiedoug

Thanks for the information. I bought 40mm dog bones (not Luss) for £15 but instructions did not mention the front forks.