DCT went rather strange

Tonto

hose pipe rocker , plenty of water and an early day :0) . must be pretty grim to have to collect the bits that are left. not sure the people who leave the planet this way  are right minded thinkers , so a sign won't make the slightest difference other then not getting sued for not at least trying.

i have family members who work for the brigade and they do have some very dark stories. more black humour really but it helps to get past the details of the job.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• SteveThackery

• Andy m

• embee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rocker, I have no doubt that you're absolutely right about the spanner monkeys at KM's, whether vastly experienced or trainees.(assuming that you are referring to them?).   And I'm sure that

It's on the consumer unit Rocker so the label isnt supposed to be a "House wiring for dummies..." It could start off like... Blue is the new black, or rather the old black is the new blue, u

Personally I have a disregard to being treated like an idiot by the 'safety watchdogs' and I hate being regulated for the benefit of the stupid. If someone is stupid enough to surf the top of a train

1 hour ago, Tonyj said:

hose pipe rocker , plenty of water and an early day :0) . must be pretty grim to have to collect the bits that are left. not sure the people who leave the planet this way  are right minded thinkers , so a sign won't make the slightest difference other then not getting sued for not at least trying.

i have family members who work for the brigade and they do have some very dark stories. more black humour really but it helps to get past the details of the job.

Plus this bit...

***There not just the person who gets injured or killed that has to be considered but the effect on those that have to deal with it.***

Did all these people get forced into these jobs or did they no what the job entailed before hand ie: did they bother to read the job description

before applying for the job!!! 

• Like 1
DaveM59

Sure the train driver who kills a line trespasser has to deal with it and most do easily, until approached by a compensation lawyer who tells them how they can claim for stress and probably retire early on the proceeds if they milk it a bit. Another abhorrence that needs clamping down on.

• 5 weeks later...
larryblag

Not quite the same but a similar "problem" with my 1200RT. It was occasionally dropping back a gear all on it's own. A motorcyclist of many years I obviously didn't immediately blame myself initially then had a sudden attack of self depreciation. Turned out my foot was applying a very slight preload to the gear lever. Quick, easy adjustment by me and voila no more trouble. Cue, red face :whistle: and thank goodness I didn't take it in for the dealer to start stripping the gearbox down.

I learned something that day. 

I learn something every day :thumbsup:.

Rocker66
On 20/10/2017 at 08:28, DaveM59 said:

Sure the train driver who kills a line trespasser has to deal with it and most do easily, until approached by a compensation lawyer who tells them how they can claim for stress and probably retire early on the proceeds if they milk it a bit. Another abhorrence that needs clamping down on.

Only just spotted this. You obviously don’t work in the Rail industry because compensation for this isn’t usually forthcoming.

• Thanks 1
Rocker66
On 20/10/2017 at 01:17, kayz1 said:

Plus this bit...

***There not just the person who gets injured or killed that has to be considered but the effect on those that have to deal with it.***

Did all these people get forced into these jobs or did they no what the job entailed before hand ie: did they bother to read the job description

before applying for the job!!! 

Just because you know that the job may one day involve dealing with this situation doesn’t make it any more pleasant. There are loads of jobs out there that could leave you in a a very unpleasant situation but although you know that it’s not considered as part of the job. A couple of instances I can think of are truck drivers and construction workers.

larryblag
9 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

Only just spotted this. You obviously don’t work in the Rail industry because compensation for this isn’t usually forthcoming.

Me too. 

At signalling school our trainer said that statistically, one thing we would all have to deal with during our railway career is a fatality.

A life-changing event for many involved in it. Sadly, some people decide to take their own lives. Training only gets you so far, enables you to quickly ensure the safety of the railway line and get help on the way - the rest depends on who you are, the circumstances and the fact that there are many other factors too. Network Rail, provide very successful sucide prevention training for its staff and support them in conjunction with the Samaritans. Many suicides have been prevented as a result.

larryblag
On 19/10/2017 at 12:30, embee said:

No. it just said there's a mixture of the old and new (harmonised) colours. This could of course be confirmed by looking at what's there.

I think Rocker and Steve are singing off the same hymn sheet on this aspect :hug:

Maybe getting near a thread-lock time I suspect.

I have to use that stuff a lot on the Harley  - stops bits coming loose.

larryblag
On 17/10/2017 at 22:39, SteveThackery said:

I don't think so, because "putting plugs on" is working with the flex, not the house wiring.  The label on the consumer unit warned of mixed colours in the house wiring, which stops at the sockets.

The label is still utterly pointless, though.  I mean, you can see with your own eyes the difference between red/black and brown/blue.  If you come across both in the same house, then you know it's got both colour systems, so why would you need a label?  If it's a blue wire or a black wire it's neutral; if it's a red wire or a brown one, it's live.

And have you seen the new(ish) IEC European standard for three phase colours? Sheesh! So difficult in poor light, it's about as clever as their other brilliant idea of painting EVERY fire extinguisher red - ridiculous!

See, you've got me started now.

Apologies to Pete Thompson  (Hi Pete) :welcome: the OP, hope the bikes OK now :hug:

Edited by larryblag
  • Like 2