Suspension has become harsher

Scootabout

Scootabout

At around 30-31k miles the suspension on my 700X seems to have become noticeably harsher - both front and rear, but especially the front. It's due for a service at 32k, so obviously I'll mention it to the dealer, but what is the most likely cause?

trisaki

Oil change for the front  check length of springs could change them - rear dog bones bushes need regressing or clapped out shock 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
larryblag

Best money I ever spent on my Versys 

Done

• Like 1

I suspect the oil has never been changed in the forks, so that's the first thing. I'd strongly recommend using Fuchs/Silkolene "Maintain" RSF 7.5W oil. It's a very similar viscosity to what I believe the factory fill oil would be (Showa SS8 I suspect) and has a better temperature characteristic (Viscosity Index or VI). You need to be a little picky when choosing an appropriate oil, the label rating can be very misleading.

Have a check at the white table halfway down here http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/lowspeed.htm where the actual viscosities of commercially available oils is shown. "Maintain" is the new name for Silkolene PRO RSF. The RSF 7.5W has a viscosity close to most 10W rated oils (35cSt ish).

As suggested by Trisaki, the rear links benefit greatly from being greased/serviced, the risk at 30k miles is that if they haven't been done before the bearings/pins could well be knackered and need replacing. This isn't disastrous, and sometimes you can pick up low mileage linkages form broken bikes on the auction site for something like £30, which might be a cost effective solution if they are in good condition. Very easy job to swap linkages if you have a centre stand. Replacing bearings/sleeves is a little more time consuming but not difficult with suitable tools.

The rear shock might well have simply become tired out, they aren't the best quality/durability item ever fitted to a bike. Several aftermarket options available at varying cost if necessary, I certainly wouldn't contemplate paying good money for an OE NC shock even secondhand, much better alternatives to choose from.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
larryblag

And again this forum proves it's better than the others. Such a wealth of information - as technical or simple as you like, and all given freely and with such goodwill :console: Any bike too :thumbsup:

All for free (or about a tenner if you want to be a supporter).

Love it 

Love you guys and gals 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2017 at 21:18, larryblag said:

Best money I ever spent on my Versys 

Done

I'll second that Nitron are very good, and they are rebuild-able.

The basic model is more than ample for the NC IMO

Fitted a YSS to my NC as I managed to get one for the trade price. Hyperpro kit for the front possibly, in the spring (no pun intended)

I wouldn't be surprised if the rear shock has given up at 30k, mine was getting a bit worn at 16k.

Good time to fit a quality replacement Nitron/YSS..etc

I normally clean/re grease the rear linkage and brake caliper every time I get a new rear tyre (get tyre fitted to loose wheel).

It is just too good an opportunity to miss, as the wheel is out to give my rear end a good clean/service.

fred_jb
6 hours ago, DelBoy said:

It is just too good an opportunity to miss, as the wheel is out to give my rear end a good clean/service.

And I'm sure your rear end feels all the better for it!  :blink:

Reminds me of a mate who bought an SV1000 Suzuki, I was following him one day and his rear suspension was not moving, on inspection it was seized solid. As mentioned above, give the linkages a re-grease every year or two and they will last, but being where they are if left, the constant blasting of dirt and wet from the wheels will soon wreck them.

TheEnglishman

Stock suspension is horribly under sprung and over damped.

Like others I put a properly sprung Nitron shock in the back and linear springs with emulators in the front.   I don't like progressive springs but some do.  Now the bike handles properly after nearly 50k and the shock rebuild is just over £100 every 25k or so.  I've it setup for comfort so the suspension is a bit softer than the SV.

• Like 1