Servicing the chain

Guest MilkyJoe

Guest MilkyJoe

This is the first bike I've had that is driven by a chain - I only ever rode scooters before I bought my NCX. Something I hadn't considered was chain maintenance.

How often should I clean/lube the chain?

Is lube or wax the way to go, and can anyone recommend a product?

Thanks

Edited by MilkyJoe
  • Like 1
Rocker66

Ah. I just spotted this topic: http://www.nc700.co....597-chain-lube/

Is Castrol wax any good?

Also, do I need to check the chain tension regularly? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks

You should find instruction in the manual

Guest Derrick

Being an "O" ring chian my understanding is that lubing the chain could damage the o rings if you use an incorrect lube. I stand to correction but the odea of an O ring chain is to keep the lube inside the links therefore not having to lube the chain as often. Just keep it clean, (wipe the chain with a dry cloth often)and lube every 1000 km's O ring Chain Lube.

Rocker66

Maybe a good idea to lube after every wet ride. Also it is best to do so at the end of a ride whilst the chain is still warm

I used to use PJ1 Blue dry lube on my SV650s. I lubed it every 400 miles after a ride while chain was warm as this aids the process. Chain lasted me 14000 miles until it got a slight tight spot. I found PJ1 is one of the better anti fling type if you follow directions. Sticky stuff so an idea to wear some disposable gloves!

Edited by tc3
edgey999

I brush the chain with engine oil twice weekly. Takes about 2 mins using a paddock stand.

In 3000 miles i havent had to adjust it once. :D

Guest hairnet

just done my bike - clean with wd (people say dont but ive not had a problem in 15 years)

then i use spray grease (none of this 7 quid a small tin chain lube)

just come back from 3 days and 1000 miles in ireland and only had to lube it

tension should be 10mm up and down from standing

Guest veejay

I have fitted a Tutoro automatic chain oiler and it is brilliant! Simple to fit yourself, just drill out the curved bracket at one end to accept an M8 x 16 bolt and attach it to the back of the footrest hanger. Takes longer to bleed the system than it does to fit the unit! It requires NO connection to the bikes electrics or vacuum and works by a weight being dislodged by road vibration. It does not leak, and it just does what it says it does.....

Guest martroy

Looks like an excellent bit of kit, nice that it's totally self contained, no electrical or vacuum connection. I don't think it's an essential for fair weather weekend warriors like me but for anybody doing serious mileage come rain or shine, it's got to be a must. As the NC's chain is an O ring job it's probably best not to use any old engine oil it might rot the rings.

Guest scrumpymike

As Derrick says, whatever we do to our chains is really just to stop the outer surfaces from corroding because the inner parts have lubricant sealed in by the O-rings. The cheapest way is to heat up EP80 or 90 gear oil (thicker than engine oil so it stays on the chain better) and brush it on to a warm (just ridden) chain. You'll need to apply more often than with super-sticky chain lube though. Of course, no matter what sticky stuff you use, it will trap some muck and grit, so you also need to clean your chain before re-lubing every so often. Frequency really depends on mileage, weather conditions, and the state of the roads you ride on. Must say I'm also tempted by the Tutoro auto system, which reduces the job to giving the chain a good clean now and then. Trouble is, that will cost me half the price of a set of Givi crash bars.

As Derrick says, whatever we do to our chains is really just to stop the outer surfaces from corroding because the inner parts have lubricant sealed in by the O-rings. The cheapest way is to heat up EP80 or 90 gear oil (thicker than engine oil so it stays on the chain better) and brush it on to a warm (just ridden) chain. You'll need to apply more often than with super-sticky chain lube though. Of course, no matter what sticky stuff you use, it will trap some muck and grit, so you also need to clean your chain before re-lubing every so often. Frequency really depends on mileage, weather conditions, and the state of the roads you ride on. Must say I'm also tempted by the Tutoro auto system, which reduces the job to giving the chain a good clean now and then. Trouble is, that will cost me half the price of a set of Givi crash bars.

The super sticky stuff is a mess to work with and does attract muck. I think i may give the gear oil brush method a go. Sounds to me it is a quick easy way and there wont be no fling as the warm chain will dry it am i right? Do you just leave it on after brushing or wipe the chain down a bit?

Guest motorboy

Over the years I have used many different lubes the best being Dupont Teflon Multi- use which I'm told is no longer being sold with the same formula (you can read all about it on webbike.com) that stuff is great dries clear non sticky one shot every 500 miles or so,Now comes the funny stuff I'm a big Honda CB750 nighthawk fan I have had a few and just sold the last one a week ago waiting for the new NC700 to come in. In the forums the guys put some serious miles on them and swear they get double the miles per chain only using WD 40 which I'm not a big fan of and most M/C sites don't like BUT who knows.........I have 2 cans of the Dupont left which should take me 40 thousand miles than I'll worry about it...............

Mike5100

I have had the same thoughts about using just acf50

Mike

Guest scrumpymike

As I understand it, the super-penetrating stuff like WD40 can get past the O-ring seals and flush out the lube that is built in to the chain by the manufacturers.

Can a few carfilly applied squirts of (clean) engine oil from the oil can do any harm to the chain?

Guest Kagan

do not ise WD40 or similar product on chains with o-ring. It contains solvents and damages the o-rings.

you can clean your chain by cerosene. Now a days it is not easy to fund it so Castrol chain cleaner is another alternative.

For oiling, EP90 gear oil or, remaining engine oil (after oil change) are good for oiling but bad for rim cleaning when you apply excessive amount.

So you can use a can of chain oiler which can be used for O-rings. Most of the time that info is given on the can.

Frequency is related with usage. If you rode in dust, or rain then you should clean it immediately. other than that you can oil every 500km and you can clean&oil in every 1000 km.

For your chain life another important point is using full throttle. Especially with 1st gear, it will decrease the life of chain

Edited by Kagan
Guest motorboy

I have never heard of or saw in 48 yrsriding WD40 hurting a chain or the O rings BUT I don"t think it would do it any good either(to thin) and it might get pass the O rings and ruin the lube WD 40 is almost all kerosine which is harmless to rubber- I will not use it either - just thought I would tell you what I read and as we all know if it's on the internet it must be true If you think about what a O ring chain does and how it works all that is needed is to keep it from rusting and keep the outside of the O rings from cracking every thing else is on the inside and if you spray it something that might lube the inside if the O rings that would ruin the lube so we can go on and on just like an oil thread but all that is needed is any old oil the keep it a little wet or a wax type to keep it sealed and As Forest Gump would say That's all I have to say about that>>>>>>>

Guest Kagan

I haven't heard either. I have checked WD 40 web site. They say, it can be use in case of emergency as I understood but there is no detail about interaction with O-ring. So, for me it is not an option.

http://www.wd40.com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/

Here you can find the chain manufacturer web site related with chain cleaning. They say kerosene can be used for cleaning.

http://www.reginachain.it/eng/use_and_maintenance/how_to03.shtml

and here some applications

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-chain-cleaner/

another experimental study result are here but it is not so reliable because there is no measurement of shore hardness, chemical structure changes, dimension chances etc. They tried to made some but ,.... it is not a reliable way.

http://www.endorphin-express.com/dod/o-rings-solvents.html

I agree with you that not all info from internet is true, but some of them are. The point is making a good evaluation.

Guest Under007

Coming from a deauville i dont wanted to mess allot with chain oil/wax.

After looking for some solutions i did come agros osco chain oiler.

I didnt want something that worked automaticly because i was afraid something would go wrong

and it would spill to mutch oil on the chain and rear tire.

So now i got the osco installed and looks very nice.

Only thing i have to do is pull out the lever every 350 km and thats it.

some pics of the osco fitted

a5dedbbfbc0cb69c8841915b4f49769b26b85b30720d02dc91ac9c60152738d36g.jpg

918035daedac9430cb9ad9a2c6c088e9827669c41811d6313f0d83d15516c1096g.jpg