Weighing the bike with digital scales

djsb

Does anyone fancy weighing their NC750X using a pair of cheap digital scales (if you have a pair hanging around). Then we would have an answer to the weight distribution question.

• Thanks 1
Mikdent

That was a surprising result, thanks for posting. :niceone:

SteveThackery

It's what I was expecting.  A tiny reduction of the weight at each end due to the pitch of the bike shifting the CoG slightly.

On that subject, if you weigh the front and back with the bike level, then put a box under the front wheel so it's pitched backwards by (say) 20 degrees, and repeat the measurements, you can then calculate how high is the CoG.

I'll leave you to figure out the trigonometry!  :)

• Like 1
Swissheavy

I have a weigh bridge at work. I can weigh mine if you like. 

• Like 1
Rev Ken

I couldn't see the point of the video. Steve's posting covers everything and is elementary 'arithmetic' at primary school, then simple trigonometry in secondary school! 

Enforcement agencies often weight vehicles axle by axle to ensure they aren't overloaded both in total and on each axle. 

Edited by Rev Ken
SteveThackery

What I find odd is that anyone (as mentioned on the video) would dispute that you can weigh a bike using two scales and simply sum the weights.  How can that not work?

SteveThackery
2 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

....... elementary 'arithmetic' at primary school, then simple trigonometry in secondary school! 

Hmmm.... I did it at degree level!  :)

Edited by SteveThackery
Grumpy old man
9 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

I couldn't see the point of the video. Steve's posting covers everything and is elementary 'arithmetic' at primary school, then simple trigonometry in secondary school! 

Enforcement agencies often weight vehicles axle by axle to ensure they aren't overloaded both in total and on each axle. 

Elementary? Arithmetic? Trigonometry??? My brain is hurting! 

I remember from my haulage days, quarries had to weigh the entire load and vehicle to sell goods but as Rev Ken mentioned above the Ministry used axle weights so the poor driver could well have been under total weight but unbeknown to him/her was overweight on one of the axles which meant a fine or at the very best on top of the wagon with a shovel redistributing the load or both.

larryblag
11 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

I'll leave you to figure out the trigonometry!  :)

Failed those at O level, along with quadratic equations and crop rotation in the 16th century :ahappy:

• Haha 1
  • Sigh 1

Have to be extremely careful weighing individual axles on trucks etc. depending on the suspension system, just a fraction difference in heights at the weighing point can add or subtract significant apparent load. Imagine an extreme condition where the load cell pads were high and all the trailer weight was on one axle of a twin axle system, that method would show the trailer as being twice the weight it actually is. A colleague had a business supplying load cells to quarries etc and went into this in detail. I recall they set up some systems weighing sets of axles (close coupled) to cross check.

Weighing a motorbike isn't rocket science however.

• Like 1

I know this is a bit pedantic but has anyone else noticed that the scales used in the Man Cave are not actually digital scales, just good old spring loaded rotary dials? Just saying. 🤓

• Like 1

Although I've read the thread I couldn't be arsed to watch the video . My point is why bother . Soon we will be talking about trains or Harley's ( one and the same thing ) :0) soz lazzer..

• Haha 2
Mikdent
20 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

It's what I was expecting. 

I wasn't sure what to expect, but then I haven't got a degree in bollockology. :ermm:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
MikeBike

Watched his vid. 10 mins wasted.

His partner didn't even read the scales properly. And he should have put something under the wheel he wasnt weighing of the same thickness as the scale to keep the bike horizonta and hence keeping the weight distribution the same.

I do remember weighing a tractor with each wheel on the weighbridge individually to find it's centre of gravity as we had mounted a hydraulic crane arm on the rear and wanted to find out how much we could lift without risking tipping the thing over.

Slowboy
1 hour ago, MikeBike said:

Watched his vid. 10 mins wasted.

His partner didn't even read the scales properly. And he should have put something under the wheel he wasnt weighing of the same thickness as the scale to keep the bike horizonta and hence keeping the weight distribution the same.

I do remember weighing a tractor with each wheel on the weighbridge individually to find it's centre of gravity as we had mounted a hydraulic crane arm on the rear and wanted to find out how much we could lift without risking tipping the thing over.

Aye, but it's near enough for government work as our contractor used to say...😳

• Haha 3
electric_monk
On 11/6/2017 at 07:59, larryblag said:

Failed those at O level, along with quadratic equations and crop rotation in the 16th century :ahappy:

I used to really love quadratic equations.....not sure what that says about me.

• Like 1
  • Sigh 1
larryblag
17 hours ago, electric_monk said:

I used to really love quadratic equations.....not sure what that says about me.

It says you're not interested in crop rotation Stephen :ahappy:

• Haha 3
electric_monk
On Monday, November 13, 2017 at 09:48, larryblag said:

It says you're not interested in crop rotation Stephen :ahappy:

I remember it being a question featured in The Young Ones, University Challenge episode. ****, what does that say about me?

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, electric_monk said:

I remember it being a question featured in The Young Ones, University Challenge episode. ****, what does that say about me?

Series 2 episode 1 I believe it's titled Bambi 

• Thanks 1
larryblag

That's the one. Thanks, it sounded like a Black Adder quote but no.

"After John"

Edited by larryblag
Defender
On 06/11/2017 at 07:59, larryblag said:

I failed O level maths too, I seem to remember that crop rotation involved three crops in consecutive years and leaving the field fallow for the forth year to recover?

It never did me any good though, not much call for it in engineering!

• Haha 1
Defender
On 06/11/2017 at 17:09, Mikdent said:

I wasn't sure what to expect, but then I haven't got a degree in bollockology. :ermm:

With a degree in Bollockology you could either go into Marketing or Politics!

It reminds me of one of the late Fred Dibnahs honoury Doctorates was for 'Back Street Mechanicing'.

• Like 1