Sign in to follow this  
commuter

heated gloves or grips

commuter

I have tried a number of different options to keep my hands warm. In my early days of winter riding, I used some massively too big leather mittens with fur gloves underneath them. They were cheap but still very cold. As i grew to be a little more affluent, I got some wired in electrical glove liners  which ran from a fused line straight off the battery. I thought I had arrived, however the flex was always getting in the way, the connections to the gloves would easily break and the glove liners werent very comfortable to wear under my gloves but they were better than getting cold fingers.

Years later, I found some glove liners which carried their own rechargeable battery in each liner which would last for 1 hours riding. I would get to work and plug my gloves in to recharge for the ride home. These proved to be very reliable but  still felt a bit uncomfortable. Next along came the 3 fingered gloves which were better again with the heated liners because there were the added advantages of there being more space inside the gloves and fingers which helped to keep each other warm. I now use the 3 fingered gloves with  two stage electrically heated grips. These are very comfortable, and keep my hands and fingers at very acceptable temperatures on chilly days, however, in the really cold stuff, I still need to increase the layers with thermal undergloves and hide my hands behind a fairing or vast windscreen or brush guards. I think that the perfect option would be heated grips combined with battery powered heated gloves ( not liners) . This would allow me to get the best of both worlds.... unless anyone has discovered anything better?

Exceledsteve

Heated grips and handlebar muffs work well. Some don't like the locked in feel of muffs but once you get used to it it's an unbeatable combination. I can wear the same gloves I wear all year with this set up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dunnster

I'm giving muffs a go this cold season, paired with my heated grips. 

• Like 2

Wedgepilot

For the muff fans out there, what's it like putting your hand in and out on the move? For example, wiping rain off your visor every few minutes? It seems like it might be a faff.

I'm ok with heated grips and winter gloves for now, but I imagine that might change some day.

Rocker66
12 minutes ago, Wedgepilot said:

For the muff fans out there, what's it like putting your hand in and out on the move? For example, wiping rain off your visor every few minutes? It seems like it might be a faff.

I'm ok with heated grips and winter gloves for now, but I imagine that might change some day.

You soon get used to it.

Exceledsteve
1 hour ago, Wedgepilot said:

It's dead easy. Effortless. It's more of a mind issue than a physical problem. I've got the Tucano Urbano type of muffs and they're designed so that the apperture stays open for easy entry/exit. I'm probably going to take the standard hand guards off my X-ADV so I can fit them for winter. I don't relish the prospect of winter riding without them.

they're not as nice to look at as hand guards but they do a much better job of keeping wind/rain/cold out. In the urban environment they're commonly chic, acceptably cool, necessarily functional... we all tell ourselves.

• Like 3

PoppetM

I can't get through winter with out my handlebar muffs. They cut out so much of the wind and the wet.  Last week riding in gloves I had the batteries up high and could barely feel the warmth. This week with the muffs, I don't need the heated gloves on.  :)  Don't care what they look like, I go for comfort over style! 

• Like 3

roddy

Oxford premium hotgrips are brilliant and you really do feel the heat on the highest setting even in the freezing cold I have to turn them down. I have large handguards and a pair of claw styled waterproof gloves which are brilliant and not restrictive in the way I feel muffs are. After 5 hours of pizza delivering my hands are dry and warm. 

• Like 1

Graham NZ

Our winter temperatures are pretty mild mostly but I manage to ride all year in summer gloves and have heated grips and hand guards.  Light gloves give great control feel.  Winter gloves are a bit like wearing boxing gloves.

• Haha 1

Big Al

I have to agreed that the muffs and heated grips combination is the best solution. Last year was the first time that I had used that combination.  I was able to ride all winter and still use my summer gloves. The only issue is when the outside temperature goes up a little with using just your gloves in the muff your hands can get too hot, the only other issue is getting the turn signal and horn button mixed up.

• Like 1

commuter

Tried muffs many years ago, as someone mentioned it wasnt easy to wipe the rain off my visor and then whip the clutch in to stop at traffic lights. However, that was many years ago and giving modern muffs a try seems to be the way to go ; since development seems to have overtaken the issues.

Graham NZ

The heat output can be varied to suit the conditions with heated grips.

lipsee

I do,nt do muffs,,,,   H/grips with just winter gloves are rubbish in my opinion... but H/grips with heated gloves are my recommendation.. or just h/gloves on there own...  If you ride a bike with just with gloves and H/grips it tends to get pretty unpleasant pretty quick( and painful)

• Like 1

Mike5100
12 hours ago, lipsee said:

I do,nt do muffs,,,,   H/grips with just winter gloves are rubbish in my opinion... but H/grips with heated gloves are my recommendation.. or just h/gloves on there own...  If you ride a bike with just with gloves and H/grips it tends to get pretty unpleasant pretty quick( and painful)

For anyone interested in heated gloves, my experience with Gerbings has been very good.  And it's worth noting that they do listen to motorcyclists.  A year or two ago they produced a short cuff version of their big heated glove.  This is to allow those who ride in heavy rain to put their sleeve OVER the glove.  I was tempted to buy a pair last year but when I found they had left out the wiper blade (on all their gloves), I said no thanks.  This year the wiper blade is back - the girls on the stand seemed to concede it was a mistake to miss it out.

Mike

Griff

Battery powered heated Gloves. There are currently several brands doing them. Has anyone tried them and if so, opinions would be appreciated. 

Mike5100

I think Poppett has some which she is pleased with.  FWIW my view is that the convenience of no wires is outweighed by the fact they are bound to run out of juice just when you need them most (at the end of a long cold ride).  Great though if you can recharge them (or carry spare batteries?)

Mike

Griff

A friend is using them and of course the battery life is the only issue with his but i will investigate spare batteries.  

lipsee

Stuff the Muffs!!!! Heated gloves ,, I think I,m the only one in the world who wears Alpinestars heated gloves,,and they are brilliant.. but probably stopped making them,but if you can find a pair then snap um up....( of course like all heated gear a complete faff to put on)

kayz1

I have the Gerbing Hybrid sumutorother....12v battery or plug into the bike, i have had battery stuff before and as said it always lets you down when it is needed most. So with these i have the option of batteries ( when i buy them ) just in-case, but i have fitted power outlet to both machines.

Why ow Why did i not buy some years ago!:oldfart:

• Like 1

Brucetreker

I have used muffs, heated grips, heated gloves, hot shots (hand warmer packets).  All do work.   All of these I used while snowmobiling.  The temps were down to -30 C.  The best gloves I have had or used were made by the snowmobile manufacturers.  The muffs work well if you do not have heated grips.  The best other combination was heated grips with the gloves.  The others just did not have the lasting power for a full days ride.  For the bike i use my old snowmobile gloves and no worries about cold, even in minus temps.  I have just added heated grips for those days where I am caught out wearing  my warmer gloves and the temp drops like it did a number of times last year.

Walklikegump

I had turcano muffs on my scooter . they kinda worked but not in really cold temperatures .   My  NC when it arrives will have Honda grips and some guards( haven't decided which ones yet ) .  That should work till the really cold weather sets in .  Otherwise muffs it is.  

kayz1

For the price of the Honda heated grips you could have a pair of Gerbing heated gloves that work.

I have had several sets of Honda heated grips, yes they look good and yes they mostly work.

I have also had Honda grips that do not get up to the temps needed to give us with toasty

digits we need in winter, and Honda alway said they all do that sir...

Mike5100
7 hours ago, kayz1 said:

For the price of the Honda heated grips you could have a pair of Gerbing heated gloves that work.

I have had several sets of Honda heated grips, yes they look good and yes they mostly work.

I have also had Honda grips that do not get up to the temps needed to give us with toasty

digits we need in winter, and Honda alway said they all do that sir...

Plus 1 for the Gerbings.  Mine are quality leather, have a goretex layer, a finger visor wipe, and have proved more waterproof than any of my non-heated gloves.  They are still working several years after I bought them.

Mike

Wilco

I'm not taking any chances next winter.

Oxford grips, Barkbusters, silk inner gloves, crab claw winter gloves, a set of muffs if the ice age starts, and I picked a pair of RST heated gloves at the MCN show for £50. They get great reviews at Sportsbikshop and are usually £180. A spare set of batteries for £25 and short of building a campfire in the frunk I reckon I am set.

PoppetM

Mike5100 is right - I have Bering battery heated gloves, and pair these with handlebar muffs (you can take the girl off the Scooter....). Only use the heat settings Dec - Feb. 

Rarely do I need to turn them up to their highest setting. Coldest I will ride in is -5, after that the roads are just lethal (as are the drivers). I have a 50 minute commute in each direction and usually go two days then put them on charge "just in case".

Would definitely buy again!