Dunnster

Michelin Road 5 available Jan 2018

Coval

My Pan is crying out for a new pair of rubbers so, these seem sensible replacements for the current PR4s

Rogue

I wonder what the prices and longevity will be like compares to previous Pilot Road tyres.

I seem to remember that PR4s cost approx 20% more than PR3s but were also claimed to last approx 20% longer

Rev Ken
2 hours ago, Coval said:

My Pan is crying out for a new pair of rubbers so, these seem sensible replacements for the current PR4s

I presume they will be making a GT version for heavy bikes?

matt28

Just fitted PR4, and they already outdated...........

• Sigh 1
  • Thanks 1

Dunnster
42 minutes ago, matt28 said:

Don't worry, I've got PR 4's fitted too. Still a great tyre. Some members are using PR3's and they prefer them to the four's. 

• Like 2

usabikes

They look amazingly like the Power RS tyres from Michelin. Basically the same tyre with some sipes down the middle.

The RS has two folds of metal carcass up the sidewalls so it meets the same weight bearing rating as the GT spec PR4 I am about to replace.

Just bought a Power RS for the front of the Yam - I think I'll be getting a R4 to replace it in a few months then ;)

DelBoy
On 11/15/2017 at 18:46, matt28 said:

Have the PR 4's now, has PR 3's before. 

More than happy with both, but when I need to get a new pair (In the spring) I will probably go for the 5's unless I can get PR 4's on a good deal.

TBH these days all tyres are pretty good, it's just a matter of preference/confidence that makes the difference.

• Like 1

matt28
On 11/26/2017 at 20:32, DelBoy said:

Have the PR 4's now, has PR 3's before. 

More than happy with both, but when I need to get a new pair (In the spring) I will probably go for the 5's unless I can get PR 4's on a good deal.

TBH these days all tyres are pretty good, it's just a matter of preference/confidence that makes the difference.

More than happy with my PR's 4 - such a pleasant ride.

• Like 1

KingJames

Can report 5s are good.  30 miles and feel worn in and confident with the lean angles and the anchors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

deecat

I am having a pair fitted to my V Strom 1000 when it turns up as I first started using Pilot road 2's

on our first CBF1000 and they where fantastic in the wet on a monsoon run up from Glasgow to Fort William so they have been my tyre of choice ever since.

• Like 1

Fatbob

Just had a pair of pilot 5 fitted, and first impressions are good considering not scrubbed in yet. I'll get back when they are and on a dry road.

IMG_20180125_125130083.jpg

• Like 1

Tex

Look forward to your report. 

DelBoy
On 25/01/2018 at 15:18, Fatbob said:

Just had a pair of pilot 5 fitted, and first impressions are good considering not scrubbed in yet. I'll get back when they are and on a dry road.

They look a bit lacking in tread at the edges..>!

Gerrymac
On 25/01/2018 at 15:18, Fatbob said:

Can I ask the price please?

Fatbob

@Gerrymac This is the first time I've ever let them put new tyres on in a service, I normally take the wheels to a local trusted tyre fitter, (Wigan Tyres) Steve is a good bloke, and he fits them foc to loose wheels, but this time I thought sod it I'll let someone else do it. So not including fitting they were £110 front and £139 rear.

@DelBoy Yeah but most of my riding is done in dry conditions, so more rubber on the ground is a good thing. :)

P.S. the bike hasn't turned a wheel since being parked up, so tyres still not scrubbed in. :(

• Like 1

Tex

He fits them free to loose wheels? That’s if you buy the tyres there, right? 

Fatbob
11 hours ago, Tex said:

He fits them free to loose wheels? That’s if you buy the tyres there, right? 

Yeah but always a good price. He only charges a tenner to fit them on the bike. But he's always busy and doing a bike takes time. He'll will let you use his tools and abba stand if you want to take the wheel off there. Good bloke I've been going years, and feel a bit weird not having him fit them and supply them.

• Like 1

Tex

He sounds a diamond, Peter. Ride more, wear your tyres out quicker, support your local community.. :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Fatbob
On 01/02/2018 at 08:15, Tex said:

He sounds a diamond, Peter. Ride more, wear your tyres out quicker, support your local community.. :D 

He as had his pound of flesh in the past.

When I got my 600 Hornet in 1999, that did get a battering, I spent just under a grand on tyres in 12 months. Those were the days. :whistle:

• Sigh 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Tex

Bloody Norah! A grand in 12 months! Respect! 

Fatbob

I pick the Hornet up Saturday morning and said book it in for the first service next weekend, and John the owner of JK motorcycles (now retired and sadly missed) said you sure, I said yes it will be over the 600 mile and ready for the first service. I took the bike in with 760 miles on the clock. 

My record for a weekend was just over 1800 miles Friday to Monday. I also did a few 700 to 800mls in a day. But the maddest spare of the moment ride was Wigan to Dover and back, setting of at 10pm going through central London, watching the sun come up in Dover and the big Hovercraft go out, and then riding back home, only to get soaked to the skin just 5 miles from home.

Sorry about going off topic, but thinking about doing a Lands End to John'o Groats going west coast heading south and east coast heading north, calling at Guy Martin pub on the way back up north, and doing part of the NC500 anti clockwise when heading back south.

• Like 1

Tex
11 hours ago, Fatbob said:

My record for a weekend was just over 1800 miles Friday to Monday. I also did a few 700 to 800mls in a day. But the maddest spare of the moment ride was Wigan to Dover and back, setting of at 10pm going through central London, watching the sun come up in Dover and the big Hovercraft go out, and then riding back home, only to get soaked to the skin just 5 miles from home.

Brilliant. What memories you built up on that bike. Top stuff.

• Like 1

rjp996

whats the tyre tread startign depth - im sure its just the picture but they look very shallow

Defender

I could be wrong but I think bike tyres are 6mm, car tyres 8mm, and others up to 12mm?