Dunnster

Michelin Road 5 available Jan 2018

pauloski

I have Road 5s fitted for about 150 miles now. very pleased with them. they give instant confidence. Weather has been awful on every ride so far, but no dramas. when the weather improved I will be pushing them harder. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Defender

I could be wrong, but I thought that bike tyres have 6mm tread depth from new, cars have 8mm and some others, commercial etc are 12mm?

KeithReeder
On 02/02/2018 at 09:29, Fatbob said:

spent just under a grand on tyres in 12 months. 

Hells teeth! Were you a professional Stinger tester?

:ahappy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

outrunner

In 19 months and 19500 miles I am on my 5th set of tyres so they are not alone in spending that kind of cash..........grip beats mileage every time. :yes:

Andy.

Rev Ken
8 minutes ago, outrunner said:

In 19 months and 19500 miles I am on my 5th set of tyres so they are not alone in spending that kind of cash..........grip beats mileage every time. :yes:

Andy.

:blink:Is that all on track, or are you using licorice for tyres? My PR4s lasted around 7,000+ miles on a more powerful and heavier bike. (Although I agree with you that WET grip is my priority every time - dry grip is less of an issue for me with modern tyres..) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

pauloski

I ride track and road... i try not to think about the money because once you start down that road your hobby becomes less enjoyable. Having fun prevents me from killing people on a daily basis and as such is priceless.

outrunner
1 hour ago, Rev Ken said:

:blink:Is that all on track, or are you using licorice for tyres? My PR4s lasted around 7,000+ miles on a more powerful and heavier bike. (Although I agree with you that WET grip is my priority every time - dry grip is less of an issue for me with modern tyres..) 

No, just on the road, 4 sets of BT30 EVO's and now on Continental Road Attack 2 EVO. The latest tyres have only done 500 miles mainly due to the weather being crap so I will see how long they last, but I'm not holding my breath for more mileage. I went for the Conti's as they are a tyre I have used quite happily in the past on other bikes, I might add that I change both my tyres when the rear gets down to 2mm as I think that is low enough as far as wet grip goes. If I ran it to1mm then perhaps I would get another thousand out of them, but hey, it's only money.............and peace of mind. :)

Andy.

Rev Ken
13 hours ago, outrunner said:

No, just on the road, 4 sets of BT30 EVO's and now on Continental Road Attack 2 EVO. The latest tyres have only done 500 miles mainly due to the weather being crap so I will see how long they last, but I'm not holding my breath for more mileage. I went for the Conti's as they are a tyre I have used quite happily in the past on other bikes, I might add that I change both my tyres when the rear gets down to 2mm as I think that is low enough as far as wet grip goes. If I ran it to1mm then perhaps I would get another thousand out of them, but hey, it's only money.............and peace of mind. :)

Andy.

Interesting! If I remember correctly my BMW F800GT was fitted with new Continental Road Attacks and they frightened me. I persevered for about 1000 miles (I'm a Scot) before fitting PR4s and got £20 for them.....

I think the best tyre is the tyre we trust!

• Like 3

outrunner
9 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

I think the best tyre is the tyre we trust!

You got that right Rev Ken, it is a very personal thing when it comes to the way you like a tyre to perform and how it feels, at some time in the future I may try a set of Michelins just to see if I am really missing something.:unsure:

Andy.

Fatbob
On 12/02/2018 at 18:53, KeithReeder said:

Hells teeth! Were you a professional Stinger tester?

:ahappy:

No just a fully qualified bike nut. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

KeithReeder
6 hours ago, Fatbob said:

No just a fully qualified bike nut. :thumbsup:

There's a fine line between "fully qualified" and "fully disqualified"..!

:drool:

• Confused 1